The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 10, 2017, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
The only higher up who counts is Art Hyland. I know the rules better than all my college supervisors. All my supervisors have 2-3 guys on their staff (or Al Battista) whom they go to for rules questions. When looking for confirmation from the NCAA, those questions go directly to Art Hyland.

It's wrong regardless of the rule change. That rule change has nothing to do with this play. There would need to be a rule change on when a throw-in ends for this case play to be valid.
By the logic in this A.R., B1 could deflect the ball in the frontcourt, and A2 could recover it on the frontcourt side of the division line and inadvertently step into the backcourt, and there would be no violation.

There has to be a point at which the deflection by the defense is no longer relevant. If A2 (re)gaining player control with frontcourt status doesn't cancel the relevance of the deflection, what does?
Old Tue Oct 10, 2017, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
By the logic in this A.R., B1 could deflect the ball in the frontcourt, and A2 could recover it on the frontcourt side of the division line and inadvertently step into the backcourt, and there would be no violation.

There has to be a point at which the deflection by the defense is no longer relevant. If A2 (re)gaining player control with frontcourt status doesn't cancel the relevance of the deflection, what does?
Maybe (and it's just a thought), the exception for a defensive player who jumps and then lands in his backcourt is extended to both teams once the defense touches / deflects the ball.
Old Tue Oct 10, 2017, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Maybe (and it's just a thought), the exception for a defensive player who jumps and then lands in his backcourt is extended to both teams once the defense touches / deflects the ball.
You may be right in that maybe that’s the intent, but the NCAA didn’t rewrite those rules.

Who would've thought it would be the NCAA with the faulty backcourt play after all the issues in FED over the years?

Last edited by SC Official; Tue Oct 10, 2017 at 12:53pm.
Old Mon Oct 16, 2017, 05:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post

@ a NCAA Clinic, it was explained that if it was judged that CONTROL was gained while having front court status (and then going into the back court), then it would still be a violation.

Only applies to a deflection (by rule, ball is now loose), and a subsequent tap (non-controlled) by offensive team from front court to back court - offensive team can recover.
Old Tue Oct 17, 2017, 07:36am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by IncorrectCall View Post
@ a NCAA Clinic, it was explained that if it was judged that CONTROL was gained while having front court status (and then going into the back court), then it would still be a violation.

Only applies to a deflection (by rule, ball is now loose), and a subsequent tap (non-controlled) by offensive team from front court to back court - offensive team can recover.
Unfortunately, that is not what A.R. 222 says. In A.R. 222, control is gained while airborne with FC status and then A2 lands in the BC.
Old Tue Oct 17, 2017, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Unfortunately, that is not what A.R. 222 says. In A.R. 222, control is gained while airborne with FC status and then A2 lands in the BC.
Agreed - we discussed 222 at a league meeting I was at (Art not present).
Old Tue Oct 17, 2017, 09:36am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Agreed - we discussed 222 at a league meeting I was at (Art not present).
Do you know if Art is going to address this with a future correction bulletin?

I had registered for the Philly clinic, but I'm not going to be able to make it.
Old Tue Oct 17, 2017, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Do you know if Art is going to address this with a future correction bulletin?

I had registered for the Philly clinic, but I'm not going to be able to make it.
I would assume that he will - his response to a question about it (and a couple of other questions) was "let me get back to you".
Old Tue Oct 17, 2017, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I would assume that he will - his response to a question about it (and a couple of other questions) was "let me get back to you".
I was going to suggest simply asking him directly. I have found that he has always been very quick to respond. I am confident that he will indeed "..get back to you." and we will have the answer.
Old Wed Oct 18, 2017, 07:55am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
I was going to suggest simply asking him directly. I have found that he has always been very quick to respond. I am confident that he will indeed "..get back to you." and we will have the answer.
I'm about to send him an email concerning the various shot-clock resets for a kicked ball. Based on the 2-11-6.b (exception), 2-11-7.b, & 2-11-8 here are the resets. One of them does not sound right:

FC kicked ball/over 20: no reset
FC kicked ball/under 20: reset to 20
BC kicked ball/over 20: no reset
BC kicked ball/under 20: reset to 30
Throw-in kicked ball/over 20: no reset
Throw-in kicked ball/under 20: reset to 20
Old Wed Oct 18, 2017, 08:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm about to send him an email concerning the various shot-clock resets for a kicked ball. Based on the 2-11-6.b (exception), 2-11-7.b, & 2-11-8 here are the resets. One of them does not sound right:

I didn’t catch this, but I just read the text of the rule again and it seems that is what it says.

Rule 2-11.6.e: “Stop the timing device and reset it to 30 seconds when a violation occurs except as in Rule 2-11.7.a and .b.”

Rule 2-11.7.a and .b: “Stop the timing device and continue time without a reset when play is stopped under the following circumstances:

a. The ball is deflected or caused to be out of bounds by a defensive player;
b. When an intentionally kicked or fisted ball occurs with 20 seconds or more”

The Case Book doesn’t seem to help on this.
Old Wed Oct 18, 2017, 08:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I don't see this is a quick read of the rules (maybe it's somewhere else). I agree that there's a specific rule on the reset times for a kicked ball during a throw-in.
Old Wed Oct 18, 2017, 10:01am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I don't see this is a quick read of the rules (maybe it's somewhere else). I agree that there's a specific rule on the reset times for a kicked ball during a throw-in.
2-11-6.b (exception). Stop the timing device and reset it to 30 seconds: (Exception: When a personal or technical foul or kicking/fisting violation is committed by the defense and the ball is to be inbounded by the offense in the front court, the shot-clock will be reset to 20 seconds or the time remaining on the shot clock, whichever is greater.)
Old Wed Oct 18, 2017, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

This question was asked and discussed, and confirmed that reset to 30 in this instance was correct.

edit: which does not make sense.

Last edited by IncorrectCall; Wed Oct 18, 2017 at 04:53pm.
Old Thu Oct 19, 2017, 01:12pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
This question was asked and discussed, and confirmed that reset to 30 in this instance was correct.

edit: which does not make sense.
OK, thanks. I sent the play into Art but he hasn't replied yet.