The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 03, 2017, 09:38am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
Bryan did a better job of saying essentially what I meant. A new official doesn't start making $70/game. I also do not believe one, initially, could make more money working at McDonald's, let alone "much more". Clearly McDonald's would provide more hours and thus more money. McDonald's, or similar job, provides room for advancement, resume building, S.S., education reimbursement, food(lol), and other perks that are more worthwhile than officiating. Not say officiating completely does not provide some of those things just not a par with a job. This is the way I might look at it: A teenager asks, "What should I do for income? Get a job, like McDonald's, or officiate basketball?" I know what my answer would be.

This is all presuming that the OP was young. If older and simply needs a "hobby" then my answer might be different.
I might make $70, but then I spend $25 of it on dinner afterwards. I don't know of many officials who run right home after every game and don't spend any of the money they make.
Old Tue Oct 03, 2017, 09:56am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Bryan did a better job of saying essentially what I meant. A new official doesn't start making $70/game. I also do not believe one, initially, could make more money working at McDonald's, let alone "much more". Clearly McDonald's would provide more hours and thus more money. McDonald's, or similar job, provides room for advancement, resume building, S.S., education reimbursement, food(lol), and other perks that are more worthwhile than officiating. Not say officiating completely does not provide some of those things just not a par with a job. This is the way I might look at it: A teenager asks, "What should I do for income? Get a job, like McDonald's, or officiate basketball?" I know what my answer would be.

This is all presuming that the OP was young. If older and simply needs a "hobby" then my answer might be different.
I used to be a Dominos Pizza delivery guy in college. I would make in tips for a full night from 4-close (2 in the morning), about 25 dollars in tips on a weeknight. I might make around 50 dollars working on a weekend where I would close later. I would not make as much money after taxes as I do working a single middle school game and it is guaranteed, not based on how many tips I might get. And you can write off your expenses like food or gas and you might not have spent a couple of hours based on where the game is located.

So I can work a couple of hours and make well over $50 or work all night and maybe make that. And McDonald's and many other jobs are not going to allow you to work a 40 hour week. Where they take out taxes and other fees because they are required to do that by law and you cannot write off any expenses the same way you can while being self-employed.

I would never say this was the best way to make money overall, but when your time is money and you have hours in the day to do other things (like another job), it is pretty lucrative as a second job. I know people that use the money to go on family trips or to pay kids through college.

Just think about it, if during a 3 month period I make an average of $50 a day for 90 days (including multiple game days), I have made $4500. And that is only at the heart of the basketball season. I can work many more games during the off-season and more games in a day between.

And if you file taxes right, you pay almost nothing because you can claim reasonable expenses for those fees you get.

Peace
Old Tue Oct 03, 2017, 10:08am
Stubborn Member

FYI, I don't want to be lumped into the "don't bother" crowd. Maybe more like the "it's not for everybody, so perhaps look elsewhere if all you want are a few extra bucks" crowd.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
Old Tue Oct 03, 2017, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I used to be a Dominos Pizza delivery guy in college. I would make in tips for a full night from 4-close (2 in the morning), about 25 dollars in tips on a weeknight. I might make around 50 dollars working on a weekend where I would close later. I would not make as much money after taxes as I do working a single middle school game and it is guaranteed, not based on how many tips I might get. And you can write off your expenses like food or gas and you might not have spent a couple of hours based on where the game is located.

So I can work a couple of hours and make well over $50 or work all night and maybe make that. And McDonald's and many other jobs are not going to allow you to work a 40 hour week. Where they take out taxes and other fees because they are required to do that by law and you cannot write off any expenses the same way you can while being self-employed.

I would never say this was the best way to make money overall, but when your time is money and you have hours in the day to do other things (like another job), it is pretty lucrative as a second job. I know people that use the money to go on family trips or to pay kids through college.

Just think about it, if during a 3 month period I make an average of $50 a day for 90 days (including multiple game days), I have made $4500. And that is only at the heart of the basketball season. I can work many more games during the off-season and more games in a day between.

And if you file taxes right, you pay almost nothing because you can claim reasonable expenses for those fees you get.

Peace
Good info and makes sense however new officials, mostly, are not officiating enough to average $50/day as you indicated for yourself.
Old Tue Oct 03, 2017, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I might make $70, but then I spend $25 of it on dinner afterwards. I don't know of many officials who run right home after every game and don't spend any of the money they make.
Now you know at least one, me.

(save that dinner receipt, as an expense, for tax purposes. lol)
Old Tue Oct 03, 2017, 12:18pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Good info and makes sense however new officials, mostly, are not officiating enough to average $50/day as you indicated for yourself.

So now you are going directly opposite of your initial "only do it if you are going make it your primary income" post.

Last edited by Raymond; Wed Oct 04, 2017 at 01:33pm.
Old Tue Oct 03, 2017, 04:22pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I might make $70, but then I spend $25 of it on dinner afterwards.
WOW! How many Big Macs is that?
Old Tue Oct 03, 2017, 04:38pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
WOW! How many Big Macs is that?

Zero.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old Wed Oct 04, 2017, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
So your now you are going directly opposite of your initial "only do it if you are going make it your primary income" post.
With grammar like that, I do not want to risk trying to understand.
Old Wed Oct 04, 2017, 01:24pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Maybe in your area, but around here you can work every day if you really want to. For one there are mostly lower level games which need a body more than anything and weekend tournaments that would also be youth games and can easily get a lot of that work if they wish. I belong to 3 associations and every day I get emails to cover games at some lower level or Junior High/Middle School. And in many cases, those lower level games are multiple games and pay nearly if not $50 a game. And if you get paid $45 dollars a game and you will work 3 or 4 games in a night at the middle school level, you made over $100 easily that day. Guys like me do not do that anymore because I make enough working varsity and college games and this is not my main source of income. So I have other things I would like to do but could work every day during the basketball season if I choose to. I just choose not to. But everyone gets the same emails I do regardless of experience level.

Peace
Old Wed Oct 04, 2017, 01:30pm
I got a Basketball Jones!

Quote:
I find no fault with Raymond's observation that you are back-tracking 180 on your original position.

Invoking the grammar police is the last bastion of a flawed and confusing message.

Where's the IGNORE feature on this board?

This is the first time in 15 years I have ever wanted to block a blockhead user.

Last edited by justacoach; Wed Oct 04, 2017 at 01:35pm.
Old Wed Oct 04, 2017, 01:32pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
You understand exactly what I wrote, extra word or not. Your first response in this thread was for one to only get into officiating if it will be one's primary source of income. Then you turn around and give a litany of reasons why money can't be made in this vocation.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Last edited by Raymond; Wed Oct 04, 2017 at 01:34pm.
Old Wed Oct 04, 2017, 05:39pm
Official Forum Member

Well, this thread has given me a moment of pause to reflect on exactly "why" I choose to ref basketball. When I first started out the local YMCA, my purpose for reffing their youth games was two-fold: 1) it got me extra income and 2) it afforded me a free membership. Then after two years with them, the sports director sponsored me to take my first NF exam and paid for my certification process. Ymca managment said they wanted to "improve" the level of YMCA basketball officials and this would in turn improve the status of their youth leagues--which actually worked out quite well. It was such a pleasure to work those Ymca games in my early years of officiating---the fans (who were mostly parents--and yes Billy Mac-- comprised of numerous very 'hot moms'), the coaches (dads some of whom I had played against competitively), and players (some of whom remember me even today from 15 years ago! And I must say it is always quite amusing when I see a player whom I reffed in 6th grade who now has kids, tattoos, etc.) were nice, appreciative, and would always thank me after the games regardless of the outcome of the contest. Often bringing orange slices, sharing snacks, and inviting me out to lunch. As I began to get middle school and high school assignments I found that the money was significantly better; however, the rigors (dealing with irascible coaches, acerbic fans, and travel time) were new to me and initially disheartening. Then as I began to be challenged more and acquire more rules knowledge, game management skills, and all-- I discovered a deeper reason to officiate---and it is this ultimate reason that sustains my interest and desire today. I realized that I truly enjoy refereeing games because by being a referee I get to possess and dispense a highly specialized knowledge (i.e., the formal NF rules and their interpretation) in an instantaneous and impartial manner that has a very real public impact and consequences. Could I get this same 'high' from my regular job? Yes, but this is different! Yeah man, that's a thrill to me! Officiating basketball fulfills one of the Maslow hierarchy dimensions for me. : > )

Last edited by Kansas Ref; Wed Oct 04, 2017 at 05:46pm.
Old Wed Oct 04, 2017, 06:27pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Longer Than OJ's Stretch ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by justacoach View Post
This is the first time in 15 years I have ever wanted to block a blockhead user.
justacoach: Remember the time sixteen years ago when you blocked me. Please unblock me. Sixteen years is a long time. It's about time that you did the compassionate thing and finally unblock me, don't you think?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Oct 04, 2017 at 06:33pm.
Old Wed Oct 04, 2017, 06:29pm
Esteemed Forum Member

And It's For The Kids, Don't Forget That, It's For The Kids ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Ref View Post
Well, this thread has given me a moment of pause to reflect on exactly "why" I choose to ref basketball ...
Kansas Ref: Nice post. Thanks for sharing.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)