The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 28, 2017, 11:24am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
I respect protesters' message even if I don't agree with it or I don't agree with the method.

But what I think people get wrong is the scope to which the First Amendment applies. It protects no right to free speech on your employer's dime. It also definitely protects no right to free speech in your capacity as an independent contractor.

Officials that choose to do this have no "rights" to assert if an assigner shows them the door. All this talk I hear about "rights" on social media and television–it's just not true in many cases.
Yes, that is true, but employers are not going to get rid of players they have a "contact" with or have nothing in the CBA to take action with just cause. So the First Amendment only involves the government and action from the government. When Trump opened his mouth, he kind of used his position to take action against the players. The owners and players took action at least in the NFL situation.

Peace
Old Thu Sep 28, 2017, 02:24pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIgiantslayers View Post
It seems inevitable that with so many officials all over the country at many different levels that somebody somewhere in stripes will take a knee or not come out for the anthem. ...
I believe such an event occurred in a CIAA football game last year.

I had one supervisor address this subject last year in a preseason clinic. He stated we should not do this, not based on his beliefs or values, but because he thinks it could create safety issues.

Last edited by Raymond; Thu Sep 28, 2017 at 02:27pm.
Old Thu Sep 28, 2017, 02:30pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post

I have a political position on many things. If you are like some here you know that if you see my page, I can be very political. But it is not my place to tell those what to do personally with their politics outside of the game. I am also a person that officiated both a football and basketball game at a school whose mascot was the "Rebel Flag" and as an African-American who is deeply offended by that flag, I said nothing in my role as an official. I did my job and moved on. And that alone is much more offensive than some kneeling during the Anthem.

Peace
I agree wholeheartedly with this. I would be deeply offended if any iteration of the "Southern pride" flag posted next to our nation's colors during the national anthem. But I would still officiate the game, and then request not to be sent back to that school.
Old Thu Sep 28, 2017, 05:35pm
Esteemed Forum Member

With Liberty And Justice For All ...

Quote:
My father is buried in a Veteran Cemetery and I grew up respecting this flag, but I had a mother that was in the Civil Rights Movement where she was in a lawsuit for discrimination when they segregated a school in Florida. So I want this country to uphold the standards they have set.
JRutledge: You should be very proud of both of your parents. Very proud. They're both heroes.

During World War II, my Dad, my hero, an Army Staff Sergeant, fought his way from North Africa, across Sicily, and up the Apennine Mountains in Italy, over some of Europe's most difficult terrain under some of the worst weather conditions found anywhere during World War II. He was eventually awarded a medal for his heroism in the Battle of Rome (after which he traded his carbine for a typewriter after the Army discovered that he went to business school and could type).

As kids, every national holiday (they weren't always on Mondays back then) my Dad proudly displayed our family's (all three of his bothers served) American Flag, and he made a point of telling my brother and me why he was displaying the flag on that particular special day. He's no longer with us, so I can't be certain, but I'm pretty sure that he didn't risk his life and didn't fight his way across Italy for a piece of red, white, and blue colored cloth, or a poem matched with music from a British song, both that symbolized liberty, freedom, and justice; but rather, for the actual liberty, actual freedom, and actual justice (not just symbols) that we have in this wonderful country.

"With liberty and justice for all". Remember when we all recited that at the beginning of school every day? Did we mean it?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Aug 02, 2020 at 03:19pm.
Old Fri Sep 29, 2017, 08:02am
Courageous When Prudent

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
JRutledge: You should be very proud of both of your parents. Very proud. They're both heroes.

During World War II, my Dad, my hero, an Army Staff Sergeant, fought his way from North Africa, across Sicily, and up the Apennine Mountains in Italy, over some of Europe's most difficult terrain under some of the worst weather conditions found anywhere during World War II. He was eventually awarded a medal for his heroism in the Battle of Rome (after which he traded his carbine for a typewriter after the Army discovered that he went to business school and could type).

As kids, every national holiday (they weren't always on Mondays back then) my Dad proudly displayed our family's (all three of his bothers served) American Flag, and he made a point of telling my brother and me why he was displaying the flag on that particular special day. He's no longer with us, so I can't be certain, but I'm pretty sure that he didn't risk his life and didn't fight his way across Italy for a piece of red, white, and blue colored cloth, or a poem matched with music from a British song, that symbolized liberty, freedom, and justice; but rather, for the actual liberty, freedom, and justice, that we have in this wonderful country.

"With liberty and justice for all". Remember when we all recited that at the beginning of school every day? Did we mean it?
Your best post ever.
Old Fri Sep 29, 2017, 08:14am
Get away from me, Steve.

I'm guessing some players knelt last night.

I wouldn't know. We were at the 20 yard line, facing the flag behind the end zone. All the players were behind us.
Old Fri Sep 29, 2017, 12:13pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Your best post ever.
Even I agree.
Old Fri Sep 29, 2017, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Even I agree.
Agreed, that was an awesome post.

Happy early Yom Kippur, MP. I'm basing that off of your signature.
Old Fri Sep 29, 2017, 06:26pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Kosher ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIgiantslayers View Post
Happy early Yom Kippur, MP. I'm basing that off of your signature.
Ask Mark Padgett if is new heart valve is kosher?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Sep 30, 2017, 06:32pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
I agree wholeheartedly with this. I would be deeply offended if any iteration of the "Southern pride" flag posted next to our nation's colors during the national anthem. But I would still officiate the game, and then request not to be sent back to that school.
An appropriate response, and one I would take as well.
Old Sun Oct 01, 2017, 10:11am
Do not give a damn!!

Just for the record, I worked a game on Friday where the schools and many of the fans never stood. The players and coaches stood, but not the fans. And like maybe nearly half of the fans never stood.

Again, I wish we would get rid of this practice or change the song. But that is another conversation for another day.

Peace
Old Thu Oct 19, 2017, 01:48am
AremRed

An official I know walked out on a game last week after a player knelt. Suspended 1.5 years by state association for violating game contract.
Old Thu Oct 19, 2017, 07:19am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
An official I know walked out on a game last week after a player knelt. Suspended 1.5 years by state association for violating game contract.
Good.

Peace
Old Thu Oct 19, 2017, 07:33am
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Yes... good.
Old Thu Oct 19, 2017, 09:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Quote:
Good.

Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
Yes... good.

How many of you are going to say “Good” when Jerry Jones suspends a player who kneels during the anthem?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk