The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Aug 06, 2017, 04:06pm
Esteemed Forum Member

For IAABO Members Eyes Only ...

The NFHS rule states that the referee must verify with the head coach, prior to each contest, that his/her team member’s uniforms and equipment are legal and will be worn properly, and that all participants will exhibit proper sporting behavior throughout the contest.

A new IAABO mechanic has added that the referee must ask if there is an appropriate health care professional covering the game?

Thoughts from the peanut gallery?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Aug 06, 2017 at 10:15pm.
Old Sun Aug 06, 2017, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
The NFHS rule state that the referee must verify with the head coach, prior to each contest, that his/her team member’s uniforms and equipment are legal and will be worn properly, and that all participants will exhibit proper sporting behavior throughout the contest.

A new IAABO mechanic has added that the referee must ask if there is an appropriate health care professional covering the game?

None of this happens ever (at least not in the IAABO state where I work), and neither will this addition.
Old Sun Aug 06, 2017, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The NFHS rule state that the referee must verify with the head coach, prior to each contest, that his/her team member’s uniforms and equipment are legal and will be worn properly, and that all participants will exhibit proper sporting behavior throughout the contest.

I don't see an issue. I think it is a good idea to identify the HCP prior to the game so that it is clear who will clear a player in the event of a head injury or other similar issue. If a HCP is not identified, then a player removed from the game should either not be allowed to return, or else the responsibility for the player would be entirely on the head coach.

Identifying the HCP prior to a basketball game helps to protect referees from liability regarding player injury, and is consistent with other sports.

Last edited by Mbilica; Sun Aug 06, 2017 at 04:19pm.
Old Sun Aug 06, 2017, 04:45pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODog View Post
None of this happens ever (at least not in the IAABO state where I work), and neither will this addition.
Ever is a strong word. I've definitely participated in pregame meetings with the coaches where the Referee asked these things (while I was rolling my eyes). I much prefer the college way of pregame meetings.
Old Sun Aug 06, 2017, 09:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Ever is a strong word. I've definitely participated in pregame meetings with the coaches where the Referee asked these things (while I was rolling my eyes).
That's why I included the disclaimer about "at least in my state." It does not happen, not even in the state tournament. All captains' meeting are just officials and players in the jump circle, and if it lasts more than 30 seconds, the referee must be "that guy." The coaches are not present ... ever.

I'm aware of what IAABO/NFHS say about the pregame captains/coaches meeting, who is to be involved, what is to be asked and where it is to take place on the floor.

But like I said, none of that happens in Massachusetts.
Old Sun Aug 06, 2017, 10:14pm
Esteemed Forum Member

When In Rowe ...

Quote:
But like I said, none of that happens in Massachusetts.
Don't you guys observe the post game handshake lines after your jurisdiction ends?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Sun Aug 06, 2017, 10:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Don't you guys observe the post game handshake lines after your jurisdiction ends?
Sadly, yes. Technically, our jurisdiction hasn't ended since we're still in the visual confines, but the MIAA strips us of penalty power relative to that game, so effectively it has. Bad behavior can be reported and perhaps have future ramifications, but please.

Believe me, my responses in this thread haven't been meant to indicate that officiating in Mass. is better than other places just because our captains' meetings are less corny. Quite to the contrary, the handshake thing is the absolute bane of our existence.

If rigidifying our captains' meetings to NFHS/IAABO standards was all it would take to eliminate the state high school association's edict that we observe the postgame handshake, every official would take that trade in a heartbeat.

All I'm saying in this IAABO-specific thread is that, in Mass., all of that captains/coaches meeting BS was already ignored, so I imagine this new wrinkle will be too.
Old Mon Aug 07, 2017, 03:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

If rigidifying our captains' meetings to NFHS/IAABO standards was all it would take to eliminate the state high school association's edict that we observe the postgame handshake, every official would take that trade in a heartbeat..
Ha ha! That is too true! The handshake rule is dumb. I umpire baseball in Massachusetts and we should be able to get off the field. But no! We have to stay and watch the teams shake hands.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Old Mon Aug 07, 2017, 06:00am
Esteemed Forum Member

Deep In the Heart Of ...

Quote:
... my responses in this thread haven't been meant to indicate that officiating in Mass. is better than other places ...
In Texas, officials sound their whistles before entering the court to warn players to stop their pregame dunking.

When in Rome ...

Old Mon Aug 07, 2017, 06:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbilica View Post
Ha ha! That is too true! The handshake rule is dumb. I umpire baseball in Massachusetts and we should be able to get off the field. But no! We have to stay and watch the teams shake hands.
What happens if you don't stay? Are you fined? Do you lose future games? Are you not eligible for postseason? Do you care? Basically, if you hate it so much, why don't you just leave?
Old Mon Aug 07, 2017, 07:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
What happens if you don't stay? Are you fined? Do you lose future games? Are you not eligible for postseason? Do you care? Basically, if you hate it so much, why don't you just leave?
It is the rule. Why challenge it by leaving early? If something happens during the handshake line and we were supposed to be there, then you better believe the MIAA will have something to say to our association about it. I would suspect we would lose games, but I wouldn't want to find out. It is a pain, but it is the rule. The offseason is the time to change the rule. Obviously something happened after a game a few years ago which is why the rule is in place.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Old Mon Aug 07, 2017, 12:57pm
This IS My Social Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
I've definitely participated in pregame meetings with the coaches where the Referee asked these things (while I was rolling my eyes)...
My friend from just south of me seems to be treating this as if it were merely a mechanic, optional and harmless to dismiss. It's a rule, 2-4-5. And yes I do "these things" every single game when I'm the R and yes it only takes a couple of seconds and yes there's nothing detrimental about securing a mild form of advance affirmation from the coaches on these two issues prior to the game and yes I'll furtively transfer the contents of your hemorrhoid ointment to your toothpaste tube if I detect your "eyes rolling" behind my back next time we do a game together and yes I'd otherwise expect you also to pregame what other NFHS rules you've arbitrarily decided to ignore so I don't step on your precious, sensitive toes out there on the court by calling something you deem capricious and ridiculous so that we as a crew are on the same tattered page, maintaining the consistency that standard subscription to the rules otherwise would provide.

Old Mon Aug 07, 2017, 01:17pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
My friend from just south of me seems to be treating this as if it were merely a mechanic, optional and harmless to dismiss....
It is harmless to dismiss.
Old Mon Aug 07, 2017, 02:03pm
Administrator

I am joining the conversation late. I have not been posting much for the last year for non-basketball personal reasons, but BillyMac and others will vouch for me to the younger members of the Forum that I am one of the few "Ancient Ones" of the Forum.

I have been a member of IAABO for 24 years in a non-IAABO state (OhioHSAA). I am currently an Individual Member but was a member of the now defunct Board #55 in Cleveland, Ohio, and have served on a number of IAABO National Committees.

Here is my take on the change in the IAABO Mechanics Book with regard to the pre-game meeting with the Captains (and Head Coaches) for the high school season (out-of-season games: I do not care which mechanics you use):

1) If you officiate in an IAABO State that uses the IAABO Mechanics then use the IAABO Mechanics.

2) If you officiate in an IAABO State uses the NFHS Mechanics or its own StateHSAA Mechanics, then use the NFHS or StateHSAA Mechanics.

That said, as a historian of the rules of the game, I do not have the Head Coaches participate in the Captains' Pre-game Meeting. Why? Historically, Coaches are non-entities in the Rules. A Head Coach being allowed to huddle with his players during a Team TO has been allowed only since after World War II. Even now, the Captain is considered to be the leader of the team, not the HC, per the rules. At the high school FR level and above, the Team Captain will be my first option in taking care of business. And 99% of the time it has been my best first option at both the H.S. level and the college level.

That is all for now.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Aug 07, 2017, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

Official: Is an appropriate health care professional covering the game?
Coach: No.

A hypothetical, but I am curious: Now what?

Last edited by LRZ; Mon Aug 07, 2017 at 03:32pm.