The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 26, 2017, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRZ View Post
Perhaps the "move to the designated reporting area" instruction carries an implicit "and stop."
Maybe, but if the Manual does not include language that explicitly requires stopping in the reporting area, there will be plenty of officials in my area and others nationwide who will begin (or continue to) report while moving absent specific instructions from the powers-that-be. (In SC it's never been hammered statewide to report while still, but plenty of purists will downgrade your peer ratings (not a joke, we have those) if you are not by-the-book with your mechanics.)

I like the walk-and-talk method of reporting, but I wouldn't lose sleep over not getting to use it.
Old Fri May 26, 2017, 10:53am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Perhaps the "move to the designated reporting area" instruction carries an implicit "and stop."
Maybe, but again such a non-issue in the bigger scheme. I just find if funny once again that people even worried about what is or is not required. The NF changes something and leaves out the other important parts of the process. And then we wonder why not everyone follows their procedures to the letter. Well, this is an example of why. You cannot get this part right, why bother following them?

Peace
Old Fri May 26, 2017, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Maybe, but again such a non-issue in the bigger scheme.
Things like this become issues when assigners and evaluators mandate them. At my age, I'm not concerned about getting dinged, but people get "demerits" for not doing things by an assigner's "book."
Old Fri May 26, 2017, 03:53pm
Esteemed Participant

Getting "dinged" for not following proper mechanics is a fact of life in the officiating world. Watched a couple of outstanding officials - excellent judgement, great game management skills, handled some tough situations really well - not advance to the championship games because they wouldn't get to the "box" to report, and used two-hand reporting at the table. They were by far the best officials at the State tournament, but wouldn't follow the proper mechanics. It happens. Not hard to do it right, they just didn't want to.
Old Fri May 26, 2017, 04:39pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
Getting "dinged" for not following proper mechanics is a fact of life in the officiating world. Watched a couple of outstanding officials - excellent judgement, great game management skills, handled some tough situations really well - not advance to the championship games because they wouldn't get to the "box" to report, and used two-hand reporting at the table. They were by far the best officials at the State tournament, but wouldn't follow the proper mechanics. It happens. Not hard to do it right, they just didn't want to.
Quote:
Things like this become issues when assigners and evaluators mandate them. At my age, I'm not concerned about getting dinged, but people get "demerits" for not doing things by an assigner's "book."
We have mandates too here, but that does not mean people do not vary from them. And if you have the right "juice" you can overcome them. I know that a few of us could not do the team control foul sequence right and all it hurt was us paying out a beer. Yes, they wanted us to do it right, but it was the running joke. We did all the other things we were basically supposed to do, but it did not hurt my status or others because they were not "perfect." So I doubt anyone in my area is going to care how we do this mechanic in that much detail.

Peace
Old Fri May 26, 2017, 04:44pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Using two handed reporting in HS games, prior to this change, struck me as big timing....or attempting to.

I can't imagine quite the same furor in the reverse now.
Old Fri May 26, 2017, 04:59pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Using two handed reporting in HS games, prior to this change, struck me as big timing....or attempting to.

I can't imagine quite the same furor in the reverse now.
And if someone uses one hand to report, I probably will hardly say anything to them if there is a camp. The only issue i might suggest is practice it, but otherwise I will not care unless we get a specific mandate. Something tells me we will not get such a mandate in our state. The head clinician who is also a college supervisor did not even like the two handed reporting when it was implemented at that level.

Peace
Old Fri May 26, 2017, 05:00pm
Get away from me, Steve.

That's up to your state, obviously.

I'm sure others will expect consistency.
Old Fri May 26, 2017, 05:10pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
That's up to your state, obviously.

I'm sure others will expect consistency.
All you or anyone can realistically worry about is the consistency of your very specific area. Unless an organization from one part of the country has control with another part of the country, this is like worrying about what type of wedding someone else has because of what you did in your wedding previously. It is kind of not your business. I am only from my state, what the neighboring states do is not my concern, even when their teams come to our state to play. And I will only answer to my state administrator or my assignor. Again, if they were that much of a stickler for all these specific mechanics, then folks like me would have never worked the title games in our respective classes or playoff rounds. I guess some of us have to worry about something right?

Peace
Old Fri May 26, 2017, 05:15pm
Official Forum Member

Two hands is not simply a mechanic. It's a rule. Rule 2-9-1 is going to be changed to reflect this.

I doubt a significant number of, if any, states are going to override the new rule.
Old Fri May 26, 2017, 05:20pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
Two hands is not simply a mechanic. It's a rule. Rule 2-9-1 is going to be changed to reflect this.

I doubt a significant number of, if any, states are going to override the new rule.
Yeah, like the jersey we are asked to wear is a rule too. And I do nothing but see a lot of games that are not following the rule by not wearing a black and white striped shirt. Good luck enforcing that one across the board.

Peace
Old Fri May 26, 2017, 05:27pm
Official Forum Member

Not the same thing. But if it makes you feel better, have at it. My state will be using two hands; one of the camp directors was just talking to me today about training on it this summer.

I wouldn't be surprised if every state except Illinois requires two hands.
Old Fri May 26, 2017, 06:41pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Not the same thing. But if it makes you feel better, have at it. My state will be using two hands; one of the camp directors was just talking to me today about training on it this summer.
How is it not the same thing? There are states that not only did not use those particular shirts, but used them openly and were NF members. Heck even in my state some shootouts or tournaments used other color shirts. The rule is clear and it has been violated on many levels. Same freakin thing.

Quote:
Rule 2-1-1 says:

The official's uniform shall be black-and-white stripes shirt, black pants, primarily black shoes and socks.
Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised if every state except Illinois requires two hands.
No, already been adopted. But no one is blowing a wad over the change as you seem to be. And the issue again is not if it is adopted, the issue is why it needed to be changed. It did not need to be changed and it is not a better mechanic when officials have a problem doing all the other things to report a foul (clear the players, get to the reporting area, use their voice properly, use the right wording to report the number and making eye contact with the scorer).

Peace
Old Fri May 26, 2017, 06:45pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Name: Richard Kimble. Profession: Doctor of Medicine. Destination: Death Row ...

Of course, you all realize that this new rule discriminates against Dr. Richard Kimble's antagonist.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri May 26, 2017, 08:24pm
certified Hot Mom tester

This guy shouldn't have any problem signaling.