The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 24, 2017, 08:54pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I had an excellent discussion after that game with an officiating friend. We debated whether the NCAA cared more about following the rules and proper monitor procedure or actually getting the call correct based upon what happened on the court. We concluded that ultimately the NCAA wants the correct decision made on the play. So I currently believe that if the officials fail to follow the rules or the monitor procedure, but actually get the call right that the NCAA (JD Collins) will support the decision.
It's a matter of not having to take heat for a glaring mistake during the high profile event.

Anyone agree or disagree with me?
Agree of course, I think the NCAA is ok with whatever keeps them out of the press.
Old Fri Mar 24, 2017, 09:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
One of the best Navy ship captains I ever worked for, during his second tour in Command, happened to have a bad day where his ship dragged anchor and he ran softly aground. Relatively minor damage, but a week later he was shown the door and his career effectively ended. Would have probably been a 3- or 4-star Admiral. Instead, he got 0.

A minute of complacency ruined 24 years of excellence.

If you're asking me, the tournament officials have it easy in comparison. At least they can try again next year.

Accountability....is a powerful and humbling thing.
I have to agree. I noticed that a couple of officials who screwed up rules situations in last year's tourney were back for games this year.

Example, during last year's tourney at the start of an OT an official whistled a violation for a jumper grabbing the ball after it bounced on the floor. My opinion is that is not a tourney level official.
Old Sat Mar 25, 2017, 08:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Yet an official advanced out of this game this year.
https://forum.officiating.com/basket...correctly.html
Save
Not just one, but two advanced. I have yet to see the CE for myself but it most likely "flew under the radar".

It is interesting that all for "R"s from the Greeneville region are working either the Sweet 16 or Elite 8.
Old Sat Mar 25, 2017, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

After seeing some of the notable names that didn't work the Sweet Sixteen (Higgins and Kimble are 2 of the big ones I follow), and not having access to the NCAA manual, what is the rule about officials advancing to the next round if they didn't work the previous round?

I find it hard to believe that at the very least, Higgins' season is done. Kimble's might be. Is it possible that either of them can still work a regional final even if they didn't work a regional semifinal?
Old Sat Mar 25, 2017, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by refinks View Post
After seeing some of the notable names that didn't work the Sweet Sixteen (Higgins and Kimble are 2 of the big ones I follow), and not having access to the NCAA manual, what is the rule about officials advancing to the next round if they didn't work the previous round?

I find it hard to believe that at the very least, Higgins' season is done. Kimble's might be. Is it possible that either of them can still work a regional final even if they didn't work a regional semifinal?
10 officials go to each regional site- 6 will work the Sweet 16, 3 will work the Elite 8, one is the alternate for all three games. Lots of April names (Driscoll, Higgins, Stephens, Eades, McCall, to name a few) will probably show up today unless others had better first weekends.
Old Sat Mar 25, 2017, 04:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmets View Post
10 officials go to each regional site- 6 will work the Sweet 16, 3 will work the Elite 8, one is the alternate for all three games. Lots of April names (Driscoll, Higgins, Stephens, Eades, McCall, to name a few) will probably show up today unless others had better first weekends.
From what I understand, Pat Driscoll (nor anyone from the Wisc vs Villanova crew) advanced. Randy McCall will work the KC regional final.