The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 10, 2010, 11:42pm
Official Forum Member

Running clock & thoughts from officials

I just found out from reading the 2010-2011 WIAA Handbook, that a running clock is going to be used if during the 2nd half the point differential is 45 points or more.

Has anyone on here ever officiated in a game with this rule? What's your thought of the running clock?
Old Sat Sep 11, 2010, 12:36am
We don't rent pigs

Been there, done that. In a game like this, as a rule, everybody involved is content to see it get over that much quicker.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sat Sep 11, 2010, 12:47am
Official Forum Member

How easy is the running clock to institute?

For those that have been in a game with it, how often do you have to remind coaches &/or table of the running clock?

I'm asking to be prepared in case I am asked to institute it.
Old Sat Sep 11, 2010, 04:54am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post

For those that have been in a game with it, how often do you have to remind coaches &/or table of the running clock?

A running clock should be easy to institute. The timer now has less to do, which should make them happy. LOL The only issues that arise are:

(a) switching from running to non-running time, and vice-versa
(b) the timer forgetting what "mode" the contest is "in" and therefore stopping, not stopping, or not starting the clock when it should be

If (a), then you could use a series of invented signals to the timer as a method to ensure that you and s/he are on the same page. Express it in exactly that manner: that the signal (example coming) is just so that you're aware of what the timer will do. The fact that your signal might remind him of the status of the clock is just an added unannounced feature.

If (b), the best method to fix the clock's status is to just use your voice. And if you need to do this, does it really matter that a second or two ticked off, or didn't tick off, in a 45-point blowout?

Signals to use:

I work some game where the scoring must drop back to half if the point spread (anytime during the game) becomes either 15 or 20 points. This change has no effect on the timing rules, but it does create a new violation with it's own penalty. The other official(s) and I need to be aware of when this situation arises and when it vanishes.

The signal that I invented is this:

When a team must first drop back to half, my P(s) and I signal two palms stretched apart, much like the "not closely guarded" signal. This signal is meant to show that separation must exist, representing the losing team's defensive end line and the division line.

When a pressing situation is back on, the signal is pressing the palms together, much like football's "safety touch" signal, but only at chest height instead of above the head.

Signals you could use:

Similarly, you could use a small football-style winding the clock signal to signify running time; using the finger only, and slightly in front of your chest. When the losing team scores again to revert their deficit to under 45 points, use a signal such as palm out, chest high, and only a few inches in front of your body.
Old Sat Sep 11, 2010, 05:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It's not rocket science...don't stop the clock over a certain point threshold. If the timer was able to stop it before, then they'll be able to let it run.

Quote:

In leagues that I've worked with that use the running clock, there might only need to be one reminder to the table. Most of the time it isn't an issue cause if we're close to the threshold, I'll go over to the table and remind them when the clock needs to running and when it needs to stop if we dip under the required threshold. The coach of the losing team isn't going to be worried about the clock running and either is the winning coach.
Old Sat Sep 11, 2010, 05:32am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Me Likey Running Clocks

Most involved obviously don't mind as it gets the game over quickly....and it's not much of a game anyhow.

As has been stated, clock ops have less to do. My instructions - "Leave the clock run and only stop it for TOs." How hard is that? In one Rec League we even leave it run during FT shots.

If you bring the coaches together and remind them of the rules I find it helps clarify any potential issues and confusion.
Old Sat Sep 11, 2010, 06:48am
Official Forum Member

To clarify, here's what the 2010-2011 WIAA Handboook says concerning the Running Clock:

52.7.0 NFHS Basketball Rule 5-5-3, utilizing a 40-point differential, will apply for all regular season & postseason contests. Beginning in the second half, if the point differential is 40 points or more,
the game clock shall run continuously for the remainder of the game except for an official’s timeout, a charged time-out, time between quarters, or the administration of free throws.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
A running clock should be easy to institute. The timer now has less to do, which should make them happy. LOL The only issues that arise are:

(a) switching from running to non-running time, & vice-versa
(b) the timer forgetting what "mode" the contest is "in" & therefore stopping, not stopping, or not starting the clock when it should be

If (a), then you could use a series of invented signals to the timer as a method to ensure that you & s/he are on the same page. Express it in exactly that manner: that the signal (example coming) is just so that you're aware of what the timer will do. The fact that your signal might remind him of the status of the clock is just an added unannounced feature.

If (b), the best method to fix the clock's status is to just use your voice. And if you need to do this, does it really matter that a second or two ticked off, or didn't tick off, in a 45-point blowout?

Signals to use:

I work some game where the scoring must drop back to half if the point spread (anytime during the game) becomes either 15 or 20 points. This change has no effect on the timing rules, but it does create a new violation with it's own penalty. The other official(s) & I need to be aware of when this situation arises and when it vanishes.

The signal that I invented is this:

When a team must first drop back to half, my P(s) & I signal two palms stretched apart, much like the "not closely guarded" signal. This signal is meant to show that separation must exist, representing the losing team's defensive end line & the division line.

When a pressing situation is back on, the signal is pressing the palms together, much like football's "safety touch" signal, but only at chest height instead of above the head.

Signals you could use:

Similarly, you could use a small football-style winding the clock signal to signify running time; using the finger only, & slightly in front of your chest. When the losing team scores again to revert their deficit to under 45 points, use a signal such as palm out, chest high, and only a few inches in front of your body.
Juggling, I'm asking the questions pertaining to Table Operations as I have been Timer/Scoreboard & Shot Clock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
It's not rocket science...don't stop the clock over a certain point threshold. If the timer was able to stop it before, then they'll be able to let it run.

In leagues that I've worked with that use the running clock, there might only need to be one reminder to the table. Most of the time it isn't an issue cause if we're close to the threshold, I'll go over to the table & remind them when the clock needs to running & when it needs to stop if we dip under the required threshold. The coach of the losing team isn't going to be worried about the clock running and either is the winning coach.
How I am reading/understanding the rule/regulation, the clock shall remain running even if the point differential falls below 40. As the season draws nearer, hopefully I'll get some further clarification on what to do if the point differential is below 40.
Old Sat Sep 11, 2010, 07:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
How I am reading/understanding the rule/regulation, the clock shall remain running even if the point differential falls below 40. As the season draws nearer, hopefully I'll get some further clarification on what to do if the point differential is below 40.
Go to whatever pre-season rules meeting the officials have to go to.

Ask the officials at the first game (they will probably bring it up anyway).

If there's a scrimmage at your school, ask the officials then.

Check the WIAA web-site for more information.

Find out when to stop (when the foul is called? -- what if you don't know whether FTs are involved? When you know? when the ball is at the disposal fo the shooter?) and start on FTs, and after a TO. (Those are two plays that are debated somewhat on these forums).
Old Sat Sep 11, 2010, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
To clarify, here's what the 2010-2011 WIAA Handboook says concerning the Running Clock:

52.7.0 NFHS Basketball Rule 5-5-3, utilizing a 40-point differential, will apply for all regular season & postseason contests. Beginning in the second half, if the point differential is 40 points or more,
the game clock shall run continuously for the remainder of the game except for an official’s timeout, a charged time-out, time between quarters, or the administration of free throws.

Juggling, I'm asking the questions pertaining to Table Operations as I have been Timer/Scoreboard & Shot Clock.

Table operations for a running clock game? It is simple. Don't stop the clock.

Problem solved. Next thread.
Old Sat Sep 11, 2010, 09:52am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:

You shouldn't need any clarification. The bold part is pretty clear, don't you think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by constable View Post

What ^ he said.
Old Sat Sep 11, 2010, 10:37am
certified Hot Mom tester

When you explain to the timer about the 45 point rule, make sure you use the term "point differential" and not "point spread".
Old Sat Sep 11, 2010, 11:03am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Here, it's adopted at the league level in high school, and runs for everything but timeouts and quarter breaks.
It doesn't make sense to me to stop for free throws if you've decided to implement a mercy rule.
Old Sat Sep 11, 2010, 12:51pm
Esteemed Forum Member

I'll Be Here All Week Folks ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
When you explain to the timer about the 45 point rule, make sure you use the term "point differential" and not "point spread".
Why not? That's the way Tim Donaghy always explained it.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Sep 11, 2010, 02:36pm
Do not give a damn!!

We have a running clock rule for tournaments only before February 1. It does not apply to any regular season games or normal state tournament games. The rule is a 30 point deficit in the 4th quarter. And if the score comes back to 29 points the clock still runs.

This is the only place I feel it is OK to have such a rule as basketball is a game with a clock that for the most part constantly runs. And the rule only applies if the tournament director allows for the rules to be in place. If they refuse then normal rules apply. I can see why this is the case as tournaments run a tighter schedule and it is not hard to get off schedule based on a long game.

Peace
Old Sat Sep 11, 2010, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by constable View Post

Constable, I am asking because of not seeing it actually implemented to have an understanding.

I was mentioning to Juggling about me being Table crew as the post s/he made was for a floor official.