View Single Post
Old Fri Mar 24, 2017, 07:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamnegger View Post
I am a newbie ref who just completed my second year so few things I would like to hear your thoughts on over next few days. I will start with first:

1. As a former D1 athlete (baseball), I can say with enough experience that I and most other athletes performed best when expectations came from the coach but pressure to perform came from teammates competing for my/same position. When expectations from the coach shifted to pressure from the coach through micromanaging/constant berating/ quick hooks, players began to tighten up and become fearful to make mistakes. Has the evaluation process shifted that way for officials with the evaluators being our "coaches"? What has made me ask is the overwhelming number of replies in the few forums/groups I have joined where comments are "THIS CREW WON'T ADVANCE TO THE NEXT ROUND" based on a single call. It seems almost like guys take pleasure in this. I don't see this as being good overall.
Your assessment is valid. In some cases in jealousy and in some its speculation. Often times it's trying to figure out the criteria that these selections happen. Many times we are probably all wrong because we aren't part of the decision making committee.