Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 02, 2017, 12:22pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
My thoughts exactly.
Maybe he thought they should've ejected the coach sooner?

Nah, probably not.
Old Thu Mar 02, 2017, 12:33pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Maybe he thought they should've ejected the coach sooner?

Nah, probably not.
Now I need to refill my coffee.

Thanks.
Old Thu Mar 02, 2017, 12:53pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Not a single excuse made for the coach. He lasted longer than he should've.

This is an independent observation I've made a few times this season, including last night when I called a head coach technical and my partner asked me "did you report it"?

No, I brought my hands together into a T and hit my whistle. Everyone knew, including the table and the coach. I went right to the C to get opposite the table. If he wants to get me, he's gonna have to come a long way.
This has me thinking. I've had exactly 1 double tap, and as it happens, I was right in front of the bench the entire time. It was on an AC, though, so I'm not sure it was avoidable since it all happened so fast.

I called the first one, and happened to be in front of his bench. As I made the call and turned to the table to make the report, he started the sarcastic cheering that earned him his 2nd. I wonder, had I immediately started walking to administer the FTs, would he have taken the opportunity to settle down?

In that game (6th grade boys travel league in the summer), I doubt it.
Old Thu Mar 02, 2017, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

One game because he didn't use profanity and didn't make contact with the official? That is BS. He came all the way across the court and physically intimidated and made contact with the official. Easily should be worth a 3 game suspension under the parameters laid out in the article.
Old Thu Mar 02, 2017, 01:03pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
This has me thinking. I've had exactly 1 double tap, and as it happens, I was right in front of the bench the entire time. It was on an AC, though, so I'm not sure it was avoidable since it all happened so fast.

I called the first one, and happened to be in front of his bench. As I made the call and turned to the table to make the report, he started the sarcastic cheering that earned him his 2nd. I wonder, had I immediately started walking to administer the FTs, would he have taken the opportunity to settle down?

In that game (6th grade boys travel league in the summer), I doubt it.
I don't think anything would've changed on the play in this thread. Just something that came to mind with how direct bench technicals are handled based on my experiences. If what I say doesn't make others in this thread think for a second, at least, so be it.

On the timeout technical, I would've been right at the table, certainly. I would've reported the timeout, would've given the number of the player, and would've communicated that and the technical foul to the coach. If the coach blows up AT ME there, there's not much I can do about it. I didn't call the timeout, after all.

I wouldn't back away from a charging coach waiting for my partner to give the second technical (keeping in mind, I'm likely in the C position already) as the official did in this video. Perhaps it's expected there that no official hits a coach with both....and this video, perhaps, is a good example of why having a formal policy on it is not really a good idea.
Old Thu Mar 02, 2017, 01:05pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgame99 View Post
One game because he didn't use profanity and didn't make contact with the official? That is BS. He came all the way across the court and physically intimidated and made contact with the official. Easily should be worth a 3 game suspension under the parameters laid out in the article.
If the official hadn't backed down, he'd be suspended into next season. He owes the official a debt of gratitude.

If a coach pulls that on me, I'm calling a T as soon as I feel the need to back away to avoid contact.
Old Thu Mar 02, 2017, 01:44pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Where do you go for the free throws?
Lead or Trail opposite by the time the free throws are taken. I'm not hanging around after I know everything at the table is straight.

Last edited by Raymond; Thu Mar 02, 2017 at 01:54pm.
Old Thu Mar 02, 2017, 02:04pm
Official Forum Member

“Our section has one of the toughest ejection policies in the state,” Schniepp said. “Three games is for the use of profanity. Six games is for something physical.”

All he did was chase him down to the other side of the court and since the official kept moving there was no contact, and he only used the word fiddlesticks so I think 1 game is more than enough. In fact the official has been suspended for 2 months for awful "game management".
Old Thu Mar 02, 2017, 02:07pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Lead or Trail opposite by the time the free throws are taken. I'm not hanging around after I know everything at the table is straight.
I think Rich's point is that as soon as the T is called, he'd prefer to head straight for the FT administration. Do we really need to stand in the coach's pocket to make sure it all gets sorted while the coach is still fuming?
Old Thu Mar 02, 2017, 02:10pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
I think Rich's point is that as soon as the T is called, he'd prefer to head straight for the FT administration. Do we really need to stand in the coach's pocket to make sure it all gets sorted while the coach is still fuming?
That's me. But I respect BNR's view, too.
Old Thu Mar 02, 2017, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Are you, for the purposes of the T, deviating from NFHS mechanics to get away from the coach or does your state go opposite normally?

If following the NFHS mechanics, the calling official will always be tableside (3-person, or on any foul with FTs in 2-person).
Old Thu Mar 02, 2017, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

Wow. Complete failure by the coaching staff. None of his assistants actively tried to restrain the coach and it looks like a female parent/fan from the stands has to come on the court to grab him after his 2nd T.

And I understand they wanted to pack the place and it seems like it was a great atmosphere to ref in but I'm not having cheerleaders breathing on my neck or all those people on the endline like that.
Old Thu Mar 02, 2017, 02:17pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Are you, for the purposes of the T, deviating from NFHS mechanics to get away from the coach or does your state go opposite normally?

If following the NFHS mechanics, the calling official will always be tableside (3-person, or on any foul with FTs in 2-person).
I don't know of a single official who doesn't go opposite after whacking a coach. If you do, then I guess I know of one.
Old Thu Mar 02, 2017, 02:22pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I don't know of a single official who doesn't go opposite after whacking a coach. If you do, then I guess I know of one.
I do not think that is such a hard fast rule. I think some love to talk about what they would do, but this is also something that does not apply across the board when these situations actually take place.

Peace
Old Thu Mar 02, 2017, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
The NFHS manual definitely does not "always" have the calling official going tableside in 3-man.

And for this situation, there's even a blurb about "avoiding a confrontational situation" or something to that effect.