Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 02, 2017, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post
Quote from the ejected coaches AD at the end of the article:

What the heck does he think the officials could have/should have done differently?
Not reported the technical foul for the excessive time-out and upset his coach so much.
Old Thu Mar 02, 2017, 03:15pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Are you, for the purposes of the T, deviating from NFHS mechanics to get away from the coach or does your state go opposite normally?

If following the NFHS mechanics, the calling official will always be tableside (3-person, or on any foul with FTs in 2-person).
I go away from the table, except for occasional AAU coaches who think they are intimidating someone. Then I'll stand tableside so I can get in a few choice words.
Old Thu Mar 02, 2017, 03:20pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I think Rich's point is that as soon as the T is called, he'd prefer to head straight for the FT administration. Do we really need to stand in the coach's pocket to make sure it all gets sorted while the coach is still fuming?
I think individual personalities and composure-ability come into play also. Also realize, that when I'm at the table, the coach should still be about 15-20 feet away if he is still in the coaching box. I can conduct business without re-engaging the coach. The problem is that coaches seem to think that a technical call makes it alright to leave the coaching box in order to seek out a conversation. That's when a partner should be running interference and keeping the coach in his box.
Old Thu Mar 02, 2017, 03:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I don't know of a single official who doesn't go opposite after whacking a coach. If you do, then I guess I know of one.
Oh, I'm not saying officials don't do it. I will and I know many that will....for good reason. But I don't always do it. It depends on the situation. Sometimes the coach immediately settles down, knowing they deserved it, and I just stay. But if they're still tense I move away just to prevent problems.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Thu Mar 02, 2017 at 03:41pm.
Old Thu Mar 02, 2017, 03:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
The NFHS manual definitely does not "always" have the calling official going tableside in 3-man.

And for this situation, there's even a blurb about "avoiding a confrontational situation" or something to that effect.
True....not always, there is one exception but this isn't that one case.

And I agree that it is good to deviate when prudent, but it doesn't need to be automatic.
Old Thu Mar 02, 2017, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
“Our section has one of the toughest ejection policies in the state,” Schniepp said. “Three games is for the use of profanity. Six games is for something physical.”

All he did was chase him down to the other side of the court and since the official kept moving there was no contact, and he only used the word fiddlesticks so I think 1 game is more than enough. In fact the official has been suspended for 2 months for awful "game management".
I think it's clear what he is saying and I don't see profanity. He appears to say, "How do you make that call" about 7 times in a row.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Mar 02, 2017, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I think individual personalities and composure-ability come into play also. Also realize, that when I'm at the table, the coach should still be about 15-20 feet away if he is still in the coaching box. I can conduct business without re-engaging the coach. The problem is that coaches seem to think that a technical call makes it alright to leave the coaching box in order to seek out a conversation. That's when a partner should be running interference and keeping the coach in his box.
BNR could you simple turn to the coach and say Coach please head to your box and I will be there shortly. Gives him a chance to go back and calm down or escalate?
Old Thu Mar 02, 2017, 04:29pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
BNR could you simple turn to the coach and say Coach please head to your box and I will be there shortly. Gives him a chance to go back and calm down or escalate?
If he is out of his box after getting a T from me, I will not be "asking" him to get back in the coaching box. Nor will I go over to discuss anything with him at that point. Hopefully, one of my partners is monitoring his behavior and location and addressing accordingly.
Old Thu Mar 02, 2017, 04:36pm
Esteemed Forum Member

None Of My Business ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by frezer11 View Post
#1 should be getting a T too, for leaving the court for an unauthorized reason.
Maybe he's going to the little boys room? Is that an authorized reason?

A player shall not: Leave the playing court for an unauthorized reason to demonstrate resentment, disgust or intimidation

Am I correct to assume that this is only for "players", not for substitutes, or bench personnel, or other team members?

Also, this refers to leaving the playing court, not leaving the gymnasium? Right?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Mar 02, 2017 at 05:43pm.
Old Thu Mar 02, 2017, 04:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
If he is out of his box after getting a T from me, I will not be "asking" him to get back in the coaching box. Nor will I go over to discuss anything with him at that point. Hopefully, one of my partners is monitoring his behavior and location and addressing accordingly.
I meant this situation where a kid calls a time out and they get a technical that is not at the coach.
Old Thu Mar 02, 2017, 04:54pm
Official Forum Member

Had a varsity HS game years ago when the table told me Team A had 1 timeout left. I informed the assistant of Team A they had 1 left. Later in the fourth quarter Team A called a timeout, I went to the Table and reported and the table informed me that Team A had no more timeouts. I now become the villain of course. Taught me a lesson to never tell either team how many timeouts they have left except when they have none. I would assume the officials knew that that team had no more timeouts. Can you ignore the request (Google Paul Silas Celtics triple overtime game in 1976), and the aforementioned Chris Webber game) knowing that the team has no timeouts and it would result in a technical foul? Just sayin...
Old Thu Mar 02, 2017, 04:55pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Scorer And Official ...

I certainly hope that one of the officials told the coach that he had used up all of his timeouts.

The scorer shall: Record the time-out information charged to each team (who and
when) and notify a team and its coach, through an official, whenever that team is
granted its final allotted charged time-out.

Whenever I do that, the coach almost immediately tells his players not to request a timeout.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Mar 02, 2017, 05:17pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbruno View Post
Had a varsity HS game years ago when the table told me Team A had 1 timeout left. I informed the assistant of Team A they had 1 left. Later in the fourth quarter Team A called a timeout, I went to the Table and reported and the table informed me that Team A had no more timeouts. I now become the villain of course. Taught me a lesson to never tell either team how many timeouts they have left except when they have none. I would assume the officials knew that that team had no more timeouts. Can you ignore the request (Google Paul Silas Celtics triple overtime game in 1976), and the aforementioned Chris Webber game) knowing that the team has no timeouts and it would result in a technical foul? Just sayin...
No, you cannot ignore the request. There's specific instruction not to do so.

You'll note that no one except other officials ever really questions whether this should be called. No one even knows who the officials were in that Webber game. You ignore it, and the other coach is going to have a right to go ballistic. I'd much rather explain that #3 requested a timeout than explain why I ignored what was right in front of me.
Old Thu Mar 02, 2017, 05:53pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I certainly hope that one of the officials told the coach that he had used up all of his timeouts.

The scorer shall: Record the time-out information charged to each team (who and
when) and notify a team and its coach, through an official, whenever that team is
granted its final allotted charged time-out.

Whenever I do that, the coach almost immediately tells his players not to request a timeout.
And what difference was that going to make? If the coaches do not know their timeout situation, that is on them. Whether we tell them or not does not change that. And they can go to the table like they do with everything else they want to know. Heck it gets on my nerves when the table tells me when both teams have 2 or more timeouts. It is irrelevant to me as it should be to everyone.

Peace
Old Thu Mar 02, 2017, 05:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Heck it gets on my nerves when the table tells me when both teams have 2 or more timeouts. It is irrelevant to me as it should be to everyone.
This. Along with what rbruno illustrated.

Tell them when they've got none left ... otherwise, don't say anything.