The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 01, 2017, 06:36pm
Official Forum Member

About 35 seconds into the long version, there's an apparent prelim double-foul signal that apparently goes AWOL
Old Wed Mar 01, 2017, 06:38pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse James View Post
About 35 seconds into the long version, there's an apparent prelim double-foul signal that apparently goes AWOL
Or he was just stopping play to talk to the players. Not unheard of.
Old Wed Mar 01, 2017, 07:54pm
Official Forum Member

Looks like kid called a TO. Hopefully the officials had expressed that to the coach. If they did and he still acted that way I don't understand how he didn't get the boot earlier.

Man, why did that official walk so far away while the coach followed him. I would have tossed him once I got past the halfcourt and he was still following me. I wouldn't leave this one up to my partner. Although it was nice of his partner to NOT step between, and wait until he hit the stands and had no where else to go.

Last edited by deecee; Wed Mar 01, 2017 at 07:57pm.
Old Wed Mar 01, 2017, 09:52pm
Do not give a damn!!

I clearly see one of the kids gesture to an official. That does not look like he is clapping, that looks like he is asking for a timeout.

Well the coach looks silly by making a bigger issue out of this when it appears the officials got this right. I bet when he saw the video he felt stupid. Maybe not, he is after all a coach. It is never their fault for these things.

Peace
Old Wed Mar 01, 2017, 09:54pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Not completely relevant here, but it always amazes me how some coaches believe teenagers over officials.
Old Wed Mar 01, 2017, 10:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDevilRef View Post
The HC went nuts and was in his face a long while before he issued the 2nd T.
That official just kept backing up all the way across the court and let the coach follow him. It wasn't until he backed into the crowd that he realized he wasn't getting help from his partners and had to send him packing himself. Partners needed to step up there.
Old Wed Mar 01, 2017, 10:05pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Not completely relevant here, but it always amazes me how some coaches believe teenagers over officials.
Perturbs me also. I've actually called a couple T's when coaches have done it in my ear shot.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
Old Wed Mar 01, 2017, 10:21pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altor View Post
That official just kept backing up all the way across the court and let the coach follow him. It wasn't until he backed into the crowd that he realized he wasn't getting help from his partners and had to send him packing himself. Partners needed to step up there.
Actually it was the partner that gave the T. But why it took that long is beyond me. I think this is why we have to get rid of the addige, "We should not give both Ts on a coach." That has always been silly to me and here is why it is silly. And I would not have been backing up all the way across the court either.

Peace
Old Wed Mar 01, 2017, 10:30pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Actually it was the partner that gave the T. But why it took that long is beyond me. I think this is why we have to get rid of the addige, "We should not give both Ts on a coach." That has always been silly to me and here is why it is silly. And I would not have been backing up all the way across the court either.

Peace

I assigned 2 games where an official double tapped the coach. In both instances, it's cause the official felt like it was his duty to get close to the table and report the technical like it was just another foul.

This doesn't fit that scenario. That coach needed to go.....sooner.
Old Wed Mar 01, 2017, 10:56pm
Do not give a damn!!

Here is the kid requesting a timeout.

Peace
Old Wed Mar 01, 2017, 10:59pm
Get away from me, Steve.

And where did the official go after the first technical?

Over to the table.

Is there anyone in the building that *didn't* know what happened there?

I wish officials would STOP doing that.
Old Wed Mar 01, 2017, 11:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
And where did the official go after the first technical?

Over to the table.

Is there anyone in the building that *didn't* know what happened there?

I wish officials would STOP doing that.
Don't make an excuse for the coach's crap behavior Rich. Although I would have just T'd and reported from where I stood, this coach's behavior stands on it's own. As soon as I take 4-5 steps away and notice he's coming after me, he's done. I would've tossed my partner too for that crappy attempt at helping out.
Old Wed Mar 01, 2017, 11:07pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
Don't make an excuse for the coach's crap behavior Rich. Although I would have just T'd and reported from where I stood, this coach's behavior stands on it's own. As soon as I take 4-5 steps away and notice he's coming after me, he's done. I would've tossed my partner too for that crappy attempt at helping out.
Not a single excuse made for the coach. He lasted longer than he should've.

This is an independent observation I've made a few times this season, including last night when I called a head coach technical and my partner asked me "did you report it"?

No, I brought my hands together into a T and hit my whistle. Everyone knew, including the table and the coach. I went right to the C to get opposite the table. If he wants to get me, he's gonna have to come a long way.
Old Thu Mar 02, 2017, 12:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I assigned 2 games where an official double tapped the coach. In both instances, it's cause the official felt like it was his duty to get close to the table and report the technical like it was just another foul.

This doesn't fit that scenario. That coach needed to go.....sooner.
I'm sure I'm misinterpreting your comment but when you say get close to the table, and follow that with report the technical like it was just another foul, is this what you expect/teach? If it was just another foul (which it is), then the official needs to get to the reporting area (or where the scorekeeper can see you, depending on which suburb of Rome you live...) and report it, and then move on. Are you saying that normal fouls need to be reported closer to the table? Or for that matter that techs need to be reported further away from the table??
Old Thu Mar 02, 2017, 12:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Here is the kid requesting a timeout.

Peace
Not sure I want to pour gasoline on this fire, but in any other circumstance, #1 should be getting a T too, for leaving the court for an unauthorized reason.

Also, in reference to Rich's comment about coaches believing teenagers over professionals, you're right, but I wouldn't be surprised if the coach never sees THIS film. Unfortunately, I bet he watches his manager's sideline film, doesn't see clear evidence of the timeout request, and still thinks he's right. Too bad.