The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 25, 2017, 11:49am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
Please provide the citation where you are allowed to NOT grant a TO during an IW.
It's already been provided. You need to do a better job of reading what people are posting if you want to always jump on people for being wrong

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
Old Sat Feb 25, 2017, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
It's already been provided. You need to do a better job of reading what people are posting if you want to always jump on people for being wrong

This is the rulebook in relation to the play in the OP

AR 46 Pg 17
Team A scores with 59.9 seconds left to play in the second half.
2. The official inadvertently blows his whistle to recognize a timeout
request by Team A when the ball is at Team B’s disposal for a throw-in:

RULING:
2: The inadvertent whistle shall be ignored. When Team A requests a
timeout during this dead ball, the timeout shall be recognized and
granted since the request occurred during the dead ball created by the inadvertent whistle.
Substitutions are permitted during this
timeout period. However, when a timeout is not requested, there
shall be no substitution during the dead ball period created by the
inadvertent whistle.
(Rule 3-6.1.h)

Here is your initial response

I'm not granting the time-out after the IW because I'm not asking the coach if he still wants the time-out. I'm going to say "Inadvertent Whistle" and IMMEDIATELY put the ball back in play.

------

Here's the rule relating to the OP and your original post. The whistle is already dead, why you wouldn't ask the coach if he still wants the TO is beyond me. If the coach says "Hey I want a TO" are you just going to ignore him too? I'm saying you are wrong because IMO it's awful game management. You have already screwed up and stopped play, if the coach want the TO grant it.
Old Sat Feb 25, 2017, 12:07pm
Courageous When Prudent

Now to this play. That foul came before the IW for the time-off request. They should have administered the foul and ignored the timeout request. Obviously blue the rule by saying a coach can call a timeout during a live ball other than a throw-in. Being under 1 minute left in the game has nothing to do with the play.

I'm disappointed because the person who blew the whistle for the time out is one of my best friends in the officiating so I'm going to have to ride him about this when I see him again.

I work the visiting Tom games. About six or seven years ago he would ended up with T for losing those free throws. His demeanor during game has improved a lot.

Old Sat Feb 25, 2017, 12:08pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
This is the rulebook in relation to the play in the OP

AR 46 Pg 17
Team A scores with 59.9 seconds left to play in the second half.
2.The official inadvertently blows his whistle to recognize a timeout
request by Team A when the ball is at Team B’s disposal for a throw-in:

RULING:
2: The inadvertent whistle shall be ignored. When Team A requests a
timeout during this dead ball, the timeout shall be recognized and
granted since the request occurred during the dead ball created by the inadvertent whistle.
Substitutions are permitted during this
timeout period. However, when a timeout is not requested, there
shall be no substitution during the dead ball period created by the
inadvertent whistle.
(Rule 3-6.1.h)

Here is your initial response

I'm not granting the time-out after the IW because I'm not asking the coach if he still wants the time-out. I'm going to say "Inadvertent Whistle" and IMMEDIATELY put the ball back in play.

------

Here's the rule relating to the OP and your original post. The whistle is already dead, why you wouldn't ask the coach if he still wants the TO is beyond me. If the coach says "Hey I want a TO" are you just going to ignore him too? I'm saying you are wrong because IMO it's awful game management. You have already screwed up and stopped play, if the coach want the TO grant it.
Why do I have to ask him? You said I was wrong by rule, so I need you to show me where I was wrong by rule and not by personal preference.

My game management is to put the ball back immediately in play when we screw up and blow an inadvertent whistle. I do not stand around and conference with my fellow officials or ask coaches what they want. If the coach still wants a timeout then he needs to ask for it again.

Last edited by Raymond; Sat Feb 25, 2017 at 12:11pm.
Old Sat Feb 25, 2017, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Why do I have to ask him? You said I was wrong by rule, so I need you to show me where I was wrong by rule and not by personal preference.

My game management is to put the ball back immediately in play when we screw up and blow an inadvertent whistle. I do not stand around and conference with my fellow officials or ask coaches what they want. If the coach still wants a timeout then he needs to ask for it again.

Fair enough. My disagreement was from a management standpoint, and nowhere are you obligated to ask.
Old Sat Feb 25, 2017, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoothieking View Post
Can a coach request a timeout during a live ball with under 1 minute left to play in the game? I cannot find any mention of this in the NCAA rule or casebook.

Situation: :22.5 left in second half. V in possession of the ball. T, who is standing next to V bench blows whistle and raises open palm to indicate a timeout has been granted to V as requested by V coach. At virtually the same time, L blows whistle and raises fist to indicate a foul on H. The officials confer and rule that timeout request came first. V coach argues that a timeout cannot be called from bench during a live ball. Officials confer, agree with V coach and decide to report the foul, which will lead to free throws for V. H coach starts arguing that the bench can call a timeout under 1 minute. L & T confer with H coach and decide, that, yes, this is correct, and re-report to the table that the timeout has indeed been granted, the foul is rescinded, and that there will be a throw in after the time out.

You can see what happened here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hawlzWa1NE#t=2h12m12s
Was the coach asking the official for a timeout or calling to his players to have them request a timeout? How do you decide which if you are the involved official?
Old Sat Feb 25, 2017, 12:42pm
Do not give a damn!!

I'm with BNR on this one. The request was first of all erroneous. You cannot in this situation as a coach request a timeout. Now that the official erroneously granted the request and we acknowledge the mistake and we move on. Not sure why that is hard to understand. And if the coach is so adamant about the request then he can make that request again and then it should be granted.

Peace