The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   NCAA: Coach Requesting a Timeout Under 1 Minute? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/102310-ncaa-coach-requesting-timeout-under-1-minute.html)

Smoothieking Thu Feb 23, 2017 08:41pm

NCAA: Coach Requesting a Timeout Under 1 Minute?

Can a coach request a timeout during a live ball with under 1 minute left to play in the game? I cannot find any mention of this in the NCAA rule or casebook.

Situation: :22.5 left in second half. V in possession of the ball. T, who is standing next to V bench blows whistle and raises open palm to indicate a timeout has been granted to V as requested by V coach. At virtually the same time, L blows whistle and raises fist to indicate a foul on H. The officials confer and rule that timeout request came first. V coach argues that a timeout cannot be called from bench during a live ball. Officials confer, agree with V coach and decide to report the foul, which will lead to free throws for V. H coach starts arguing that the bench can call a timeout under 1 minute. L & T confer with H coach and decide, that, yes, this is correct, and re-report to the table that the timeout has indeed been granted, the foul is rescinded, and that there will be a throw in after the time out.

You can see what happened here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hawlzWa1NE#t=2h12m12s

jpgc99 Thu Feb 23, 2017 09:57pm

Wow.

Didn't watch the video, but coach cannot call a live ball timeout at any point in the game. However, if the officials determine the whistle for the timeout came before the foul, this should be treated as an inadvertent whistle. You can't pretend that it didn't happen and decide to enforce the foul.

crosscountry55 Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:34pm

Wow, indeed. That was an absolute mess. I agree with jpcg99's assessment.

Maybe C does more HS games then college games, brain farted, and just had an IW? In any case, the crew was leaderless and no one stepped up to logically get them to resolution. If jpcg99 is on that crew, he says, "Look, coach can't call that TO, so what happened first, the IW or the foul?" Answer that question, then proceed accordingly after the obligatory explanations to the coaches. Should take no more than 45 seconds to do all of that.

I believe there may be a suspension looming.

johnny d Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpgc99 (Post 1001010)
Wow.

Didn't watch the video, but coach cannot call a live ball timeout at any point in the game. However, if the officials determine the whistle for the timeout came before the foul, this should be treated as an inadvertent whistle. You can't pretend that it didn't happen and decide to enforce the foul.

This part of your statement is not true in NCAA-M. The rule has been modified this season.

deecee Fri Feb 24, 2017 07:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnny d (Post 1001016)
This part of your statement is not true in NCAA-M. The rule has been modified this season.

He is right. Coaches can call a TO during an inbounds attempt. However the TO in this video was erroneously awarded. Even if you have an IW, you can then grant the TO.

And quite frankly no one is loosing a game over such a call, unless it happens multiple times or is a pattern with an official/crew.

deecee Fri Feb 24, 2017 07:16am

Quote:

Originally Posted by crosscountry55 (Post 1001014)
Wow, indeed. That was an absolute mess. I agree with jpcg99's assessment.

Maybe C does more HS games then college games, brain farted, and just had an IW? In any case, the crew was leaderless and no one stepped up to logically get them to resolution. If jpcg99 is on that crew, he says, "Look, coach can't call that TO, so what happened first, the IW or the foul?" Answer that question, then proceed accordingly after the obligatory explanations to the coaches. Should take no more than 45 seconds to do all of that.

I believe there may be a suspension looming.

Where's the balderdash smiley? What is there to answer, even if you have an IW you can then grant the TO, or the coach can say nah I don't want the TO and you put the ball in play (option 2 is less likely and would take a special a**hat coach to incinerate his bridge).

bob jenkins Fri Feb 24, 2017 08:19am

The NCAAW rule is different.

Raymond Fri Feb 24, 2017 08:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 1001023)
Where's the balderdash smiley? What is there to answer, even if you have an IW you can then grant the TO, or the coach can say nah I don't want the TO and you put the ball in play (option 2 is less likely and would take a special a**hat coach to incinerate his bridge).

I'm not granting the time-out after the IW because I'm not asking the coach if he still wants the time-out. I'm going to say "Inadvertent Whistle" and IMMEDIATELY put the ball back in play.

jpgc99 Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:20am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smoothieking (Post 1001005)
V coach argues that a timeout cannot be called from bench during a live ball.

What I want to know is, if the V coach knows he cannot be granted a timeout in this situation, why is he requesting one??

deecee Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:23am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 1001027)
I'm not granting the time-out after the IW because I'm not asking the coach if he still wants the time-out. I'm going to say "Inadvertent Whistle" and IMMEDIATELY put the ball back in play.

What rule or caseplay are you using to not grant the time out during a stoppage in play?

deecee Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:27am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpgc99 (Post 1001040)
What I want to know is, if the V coach knows he cannot be granted a timeout in this situation, why is he requesting one??

He's the a**hat I mentioned. He created an IW to "help" his team in this spot and now doesn't want the TO, which can't be forced down his throat.

The only options this crew has are

1. IW, then ignore the contact, then grant the TO if still wanted
2. IW, don't ignore the contact and call a T, then grant the TO if still wanted
3. Agree the foul came before the IW, administer the foul and then grant the TO if still wanted

Adam Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 1001027)

Probably not as much of a deal in college, since the clock stops anyway, but do you really have that option in NCAA? In HS, you grant the TO. Primarily because the rule says to, but to me, it's the worst option to give him a chance to stop the clock and/or set up his press without having to also burn the timeout.

BigT Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnny d (Post 1001016)

Johnny what is the rule for HC calling TO in NCAA-M?

deecee Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigT (Post 1001053)
Johnny what is the rule for HC calling TO in NCAA-M?

I covered the live ball scenario when a coach can call a TO in NCAAM.

deecee Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 1001050)
Probably not as much of a deal in college, since the clock stops anyway, but do you really have that option in NCAA? In HS, you grant the TO. Primarily because the rule says to, but to me, it's the worst option to give him a chance to stop the clock and/or set up his press without having to also burn the timeout.

You cannot do what BNR suggested. The clock is legally stopped. The coach can legally call a TO. The only thing that cannot be done, I'm fairly sure of this, is call in substitutions during an IW stoppage of play.