The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 23, 2017, 08:41pm
Official Forum Member

NCAA: Coach Requesting a Timeout Under 1 Minute?

Can a coach request a timeout during a live ball with under 1 minute left to play in the game? I cannot find any mention of this in the NCAA rule or casebook.

Situation: :22.5 left in second half. V in possession of the ball. T, who is standing next to V bench blows whistle and raises open palm to indicate a timeout has been granted to V as requested by V coach. At virtually the same time, L blows whistle and raises fist to indicate a foul on H. The officials confer and rule that timeout request came first. V coach argues that a timeout cannot be called from bench during a live ball. Officials confer, agree with V coach and decide to report the foul, which will lead to free throws for V. H coach starts arguing that the bench can call a timeout under 1 minute. L & T confer with H coach and decide, that, yes, this is correct, and re-report to the table that the timeout has indeed been granted, the foul is rescinded, and that there will be a throw in after the time out.

You can see what happened here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hawlzWa1NE#t=2h12m12s
here in about 3 seconds!"
-Tim Higgins
Old Thu Feb 23, 2017, 09:57pm
Official Forum Member

Wow.

Didn't watch the video, but coach cannot call a live ball timeout at any point in the game. However, if the officials determine the whistle for the timeout came before the foul, this should be treated as an inadvertent whistle. You can't pretend that it didn't happen and decide to enforce the foul.
Old Thu Feb 23, 2017, 11:34pm
Official Forum Member

Wow, indeed. That was an absolute mess. I agree with jpcg99's assessment.

Maybe C does more HS games then college games, brain farted, and just had an IW? In any case, the crew was leaderless and no one stepped up to logically get them to resolution. If jpcg99 is on that crew, he says, "Look, coach can't call that TO, so what happened first, the IW or the foul?" Answer that question, then proceed accordingly after the obligatory explanations to the coaches. Should take no more than 45 seconds to do all of that.

I believe there may be a suspension looming.
Old Fri Feb 24, 2017, 12:35am
beware big brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgc99 View Post
Wow.

Didn't watch the video, but coach cannot call a live ball timeout at any point in the game. However, if the officials determine the whistle for the timeout came before the foul, this should be treated as an inadvertent whistle. You can't pretend that it didn't happen and decide to enforce the foul.
This part of your statement is not true in NCAA-M. The rule has been modified this season.
Old Fri Feb 24, 2017, 07:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
This part of your statement is not true in NCAA-M. The rule has been modified this season.
He is right. Coaches can call a TO during an inbounds attempt. However the TO in this video was erroneously awarded. Even if you have an IW, you can then grant the TO.

And quite frankly no one is loosing a game over such a call, unless it happens multiple times or is a pattern with an official/crew.
Old Fri Feb 24, 2017, 07:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
Wow, indeed. That was an absolute mess. I agree with jpcg99's assessment.

Maybe C does more HS games then college games, brain farted, and just had an IW? In any case, the crew was leaderless and no one stepped up to logically get them to resolution. If jpcg99 is on that crew, he says, "Look, coach can't call that TO, so what happened first, the IW or the foul?" Answer that question, then proceed accordingly after the obligatory explanations to the coaches. Should take no more than 45 seconds to do all of that.

I believe there may be a suspension looming.
Where's the balderdash smiley? What is there to answer, even if you have an IW you can then grant the TO, or the coach can say nah I don't want the TO and you put the ball in play (option 2 is less likely and would take a special a**hat coach to incinerate his bridge).
Old Fri Feb 24, 2017, 08:19am
Official Forum Member

The NCAAW rule is different.
Old Fri Feb 24, 2017, 08:52am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
Where's the balderdash smiley? What is there to answer, even if you have an IW you can then grant the TO, or the coach can say nah I don't want the TO and you put the ball in play (option 2 is less likely and would take a special a**hat coach to incinerate his bridge).
I'm not granting the time-out after the IW because I'm not asking the coach if he still wants the time-out. I'm going to say "Inadvertent Whistle" and IMMEDIATELY put the ball back in play.
Old Fri Feb 24, 2017, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoothieking View Post
V coach argues that a timeout cannot be called from bench during a live ball.
What I want to know is, if the V coach knows he cannot be granted a timeout in this situation, why is he requesting one??
Old Fri Feb 24, 2017, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I'm not granting the time-out after the IW because I'm not asking the coach if he still wants the time-out. I'm going to say "Inadvertent Whistle" and IMMEDIATELY put the ball back in play.
What rule or caseplay are you using to not grant the time out during a stoppage in play?
Old Fri Feb 24, 2017, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgc99 View Post
What I want to know is, if the V coach knows he cannot be granted a timeout in this situation, why is he requesting one??
He's the a**hat I mentioned. He created an IW to "help" his team in this spot and now doesn't want the TO, which can't be forced down his throat.

The only options this crew has are

1. IW, then ignore the contact, then grant the TO if still wanted
2. IW, don't ignore the contact and call a T, then grant the TO if still wanted
3. Agree the foul came before the IW, administer the foul and then grant the TO if still wanted
Old Fri Feb 24, 2017, 12:06pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Probably not as much of a deal in college, since the clock stops anyway, but do you really have that option in NCAA? In HS, you grant the TO. Primarily because the rule says to, but to me, it's the worst option to give him a chance to stop the clock and/or set up his press without having to also burn the timeout.
Old Fri Feb 24, 2017, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
Johnny what is the rule for HC calling TO in NCAA-M?
Old Fri Feb 24, 2017, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
Johnny what is the rule for HC calling TO in NCAA-M?
I covered the live ball scenario when a coach can call a TO in NCAAM.
Old Fri Feb 24, 2017, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Probably not as much of a deal in college, since the clock stops anyway, but do you really have that option in NCAA? In HS, you grant the TO. Primarily because the rule says to, but to me, it's the worst option to give him a chance to stop the clock and/or set up his press without having to also burn the timeout.
You cannot do what BNR suggested. The clock is legally stopped. The coach can legally call a TO. The only thing that cannot be done, I'm fairly sure of this, is call in substitutions during an IW stoppage of play.