The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 15, 2017, 10:30am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I saw a man approach another man that is backing up and he pushed him away. Now if you are innocent, then do not get into my face as I am backing away from you inicially. And without exact words I have no idea what was said. The "parent" is trying to act innocent when he never backed away until the official pushed him.

Look at the end of the day I am a grown man. You come at me in a certain way, I will protect myself. Now it might be in another way, but I am still protecting myself. Just because I have stripes on does not mean I am taking an azz whoopin because I am in a position. Sorry, not how it works.

Peace
This.

I'm very good at diffusing volatile situations, but if I feel threatened you can bet your ass I'm not going to just let you take the first punch.

People think it's ok to lose their freaking minds because of a damned game.
Old Wed Feb 15, 2017, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
That person is on the court -- a place where he doesn't belong.

I don't blame the official for shoving the person who was where he did not belong -- he created separation.

Why isn't anyone asking why the guy is trespassing on the court?
Because to many on here are to damn apologetic for other people sh!tty behavior?
Old Wed Feb 15, 2017, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmoz View Post
btw, this was an experienced, well-respected crew. Also, both head coaches are known for their passion, competitive spirit, and at times over-the-top behavior towards officials.

Imo, this is all the result of site admins failing to address unsporting behavior in the stands, a big lack of security or inadequate staffing for the event, and a total loss of perspective of their mission for hs sports.
+1
Old Wed Feb 15, 2017, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
The school administrator in the news report is also a clown. "official having a bad day…."
Ya, I've watched the video twice now. Her comment was ridiculous. The first thing out of her mouth was about the official. The first thing out of her mouth should have been words expressing an apology for letting a parent leave his seat, enter the playing court and approach an official. Those three mistakes occurred before the official took any actions. Unreal.
Old Wed Feb 15, 2017, 12:59pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
The school administrator in the news report is also a clown. "official having a bad day…."
Officials are easy punching bags for all of sporting's ills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Look at the end of the day I am a grown man. You come at me in a certain way, I will protect myself. Now it might be in another way, but I am still protecting myself. Just because I have stripes on does not mean I am taking an azz whoopin because I am in a position. Sorry, not how it works.
Yep. I am still a person and have a family to take care of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robmoz View Post
Well here are some facts from the game....

The PA announcer was instructed to refrain from giving play by play during live play by the R, yet continued to do so. Site admin was summoned (the AD) and he initially refused to correct the problem until the R refused to resume play. The AD then runs to the table, picks up the mic and slams it down on the table while yelling disparaging remarks towards the R.

At this point I think I'd be filing a suspended game report with my assigner and the league due to lack of adequate game management present. They can figure out the rest of this after the section has had a talking to with the school.

Now hopefully somebody will be able to open up the locker room for us to get our stuff.
Old Wed Feb 15, 2017, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

I've heard that statistics show that the person who sucker punches wins the fight 90% of the time.......with that said PERSONAL SPACE is VERY IMPORTANT!!! If you walk on the court towards an official in an aggressive manner on top of the fact you aren't supposed to be on the court in the 1st place then you set yourself up for whatever comes next......
Old Wed Feb 15, 2017, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

If you mess with a bull, there's a chance you'll get the horns.
Old Wed Feb 15, 2017, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

As a criminal defense lawyer for many years, I will only offer this observation, based on my experience: all too often, after an altercation, the guy on the ground is the victim and the guy still standing becomes the defendant. Self-defense is a defense to criminal charges, not necessarily a bar to being charged in the first place.
Old Wed Feb 15, 2017, 04:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It is a bad day when you have to call 63 fouls.
Old Wed Feb 15, 2017, 05:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverfalls57 View Post
It is a bad day when you have to call 63 fouls.
I agree..but some days..that's the job.It irritates hell out of me when home school knows who their idiots are and won't calm them down. They make me do it to be bad guy in front of all. They don't want to offend their fans.so much for the sportsmanship thing.
Old Wed Feb 15, 2017, 08:42pm
Official Forum Member

If there is no game management, should the game have been called right then? Or, how exactly should you go about getting new game management?
This seems like one of those things that is mandatory to have in place at all times.
Old Wed Feb 15, 2017, 09:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robmoz View Post
Well here are some facts from the game....

When the R reported this to the HC's, the PA Announcer (not just some random parent) jumps up from the scorer's table and makes a run at R to confront him. The R defends himself with a two-handed chest shove (no punches), the PA guy is restrained backwards with arms wide as if his actions were innocent and he was claiming the official attacked him (clearly not the case though).

At that point all hell breaks loose and the benches and bleachers spill out onto the floor as the officials make a bee line for their locker room.
I'm not disputing any of your facts, Rob (and I thoroughly enjoy the perspective since it seems like you're from the area and have an inside source), and maybe we're not even referring to the same person, but ...

... after watching it a few times and looking for this idiot, it sure looks to me like the "parent" who confronts the official and is subsequently shoved in the open floor is not anyone who was ever seated at the scorer's table or performing any PA duties. In the third-quarter free-throw footage, you can plainly see him sitting at the end of the home bench, kind of like a fake assistant coach.

I'm not sure if this makes the whole situation slightly better or slightly worse. Is it better/worse that he was actual bench personnel rather than a fan from the stands? I honestly don't have an answer.
Old Thu Feb 16, 2017, 07:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODog View Post
I'm not disputing any of your facts, Rob (and I thoroughly enjoy the perspective since it seems like you're from the area and have an inside source), and maybe we're not even referring to the same person, but ...

... after watching it a few times and looking for this idiot, it sure looks to me like the "parent" who confronts the official and is subsequently shoved in the open floor is not anyone who was ever seated at the scorer's table or performing any PA duties. In the third-quarter free-throw footage, you can plainly see him sitting at the end of the home bench, kind of like a fake assistant coach.

I'm not sure if this makes the whole situation slightly better or slightly worse. Is it better/worse that he was actual bench personnel rather than a fan from the stands? I honestly don't have an answer.

Freeze it at the 0:28 mark and you can see the guy at the table. After the mic was removed he left the table to sit on the bench for some parts of the 3Qtr...just saying, he may be a parent, too. I know that he is not on the coaching staff.
Old Thu Feb 16, 2017, 08:32am
AremRed

I messaged the reporter from the story, he gave a BS boilerplate response: "I hear you, but what I reported is what the superintendent said, the first person to get physical was the referee".

Yeah dumbass, the whole story is what the superintendent who probably wasn't at the game said.
Old Thu Feb 16, 2017, 10:25am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
I messaged the reporter from the story, he gave a BS boilerplate response: "I hear you, but what I reported is what the superintendent said, the first person to get physical was the referee".

Yeah dumbass, the whole story is what the superintendent who probably wasn't at the game said.
Ask him if he interviewed the referee. Bet it never crossed his mind.

Not that the referee would probably respond, but I bet the reporter never even tried.