The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 15, 2017, 08:07am
Official Forum Member

Referee pushes parent

Referee Pushes Parent During High School Basketball Game | Bleacher Report

Man the parents are stupid. The father came on the court after the game was called because the AD got tossed, a fan threw a bottle on the court and the ref pushed the father, and it's the refs fault. Shame.
Old Wed Feb 15, 2017, 08:18am
Official Forum Member

While the parent should not have been on the court confronting the official, there is no excuse for the official to shove the parent. That is what game management is for. So I would have to agree that it is the officials fault.
Old Wed Feb 15, 2017, 08:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAUMP View Post
While the parent should not have been on the court confronting the official, there is no excuse for the official to shove the parent. That is what game management is for. So I would have to agree that it is the officials fault.
The AD had already been ejected -- there was probably not much "game management" left.

And, I'd like to know more about the incident that led to the shove.

(Note -- I did not watch the accompanying video -- maybe it's covered in there.)
Old Wed Feb 15, 2017, 08:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAUMP View Post
Tsk, tsk. There is an excuse for the official to shove the parent. Don't come on the court, don't confront the officials, don't expect that your behavior is ok and that being confrontational will always end in rainbows and unicorns.

You would take a pummeling from a parent with the "hope" that game management would pull him/her off you?
Old Wed Feb 15, 2017, 08:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
Tsk, tsk. There is an excuse for the official to shove the parent. Don't come on the court, don't confront the officials, don't expect that your behavior is ok and that being confrontational will always end in rainbows and unicorns.

You would take a pummeling from a parent with the "hope" that game management would pull him/her off you?
Pummeling from a parent? Not sure there's any evidence of that. This thing got out of hand because the person in charge or game management got tossed, and apparently no other adult would step up, but that doesn't provide an excuse for anyone (official, coach, fan, whoever) to shove and potentially start a brawl. Call the game when you realize its out of hand beyond control and get off the court, but don't make matters worse.
Old Wed Feb 15, 2017, 09:04am
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post

What "pummeling"? That parent didn't shove the official first. Are you assuming the parent was going to start throwing punches?

Every adult involved in this altercation should be ashamed, along with facing the appropriate punishment. And you may say "we don't know what was said", but if words set you off like they did this official then you're as much the problem as anybody or anything.

Furthermore, I hope they investigate things and find out just how this game got out of hand. And make sure it doesn't happen again.
Old Wed Feb 15, 2017, 09:14am
Official Forum Member

Well here are some facts from the game....

The PA announcer was instructed to refrain from giving play by play during live play by the R, yet continued to do so. Site admin was summoned (the AD) and he initially refused to correct the problem until the R refused to resume play. The AD then runs to the table, picks up the mic and slams it down on the table while yelling disparaging remarks towards the R. The AD is then ejected from the gym. This occurred during a very rough 2Qtr after 14 fouls had been called and one player fouled out before halftime.

The crowd was verbally hostile after every call against the home team and accused the officials of cheating with chants and vulgar comments ...[there were 63 fouls called in the contest (32/31)]. Debris was being thrown onto the court, there was no site staff taking action so the officials suspended the game with 1:13 remaining in the game.

When the R reported this to the HC's, the PA Announcer (not just some random parent) jumps up from the scorer's table and makes a run at R to confront him. The R defends himself with a two-handed chest shove (no punches), the PA guy is restrained backwards with arms wide as if his actions were innocent and he was claiming the official attacked him (clearly not the case though).

At that point all hell breaks loose and the benches and bleachers spill out onto the floor as the officials make a bee line for their locker room.
Old Wed Feb 15, 2017, 09:24am
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robmoz View Post
Well here are some facts from the game....

The PA announcer was instructed to refrain from giving play by play during live play by the R, yet continued to do so. Site admin was summoned (the AD) and he initially refused to correct the problem until the R refused to resume play. The AD then runs to the table, picks up the mic and slams it down on the table while yelling disparaging remarks towards the R. The AD is then ejected from the gym. This occurred during a very rough 2Qtr after 14 fouls had been called and one player fouled out before halftime.

The crowd was verbally hostile after every call against the home team and accused the officials of cheating with chants and vulgar comments ...[there were 63 fouls called in the contest (32/31)]. Debris was being thrown onto the court, there was no site staff taking action so the officials suspended the game with 1:13 remaining in the game.

When the R reported this to the HC's, the PA Announcer (not just some random parent) jumps up from the scorer's table and makes a run at R to confront him. The R defends himself with a two-handed chest shove (no punches), the PA guy is restrained backwards with arms wide as if his actions were innocent and he was claiming the official attacked him (clearly not the case though).

At that point all hell breaks loose and the benches and bleachers spill out onto the floor as the officials make a bee line for their locker room.
Thanks for filling us in on more facts of the game.

Sounds like a whole lot of "fail" by the school.
Old Wed Feb 15, 2017, 09:29am
Get away from me, Steve.

That person is on the court -- a place where he doesn't belong.

I don't blame the official for shoving the person who was where he did not belong -- he created separation.

Why isn't anyone asking why the guy is trespassing on the court?
Old Wed Feb 15, 2017, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

BTW, this was an experienced, well-respected crew. Also, both head coaches are known for their passion, competitive spirit, and at times over-the-top behavior towards officials.

IMO, this is all the result of site admins failing to address unsporting behavior in the stands, a big lack of security or inadequate staffing for the event, and a total loss of perspective of their mission for HS sports.
Old Wed Feb 15, 2017, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frezer11 View Post
Pummeling from a parent? Not sure there's any evidence of that. This thing got out of hand because the person in charge or game management got tossed, and apparently no other adult would step up, but that doesn't provide an excuse for anyone (official, coach, fan, whoever) to shove and potentially start a brawl. Call the game when you realize its out of hand beyond control and get off the court, but don't make matters worse.
The official has a right to defend himself and doesn't have to wait for a "first punch" to be thrown. You need to understand that we have precedent here in Detroit of officials being attacked and KILLED as a result of such senseless actions! He didn't have the chance to even finish informing the coaches of the decision to end the game before he was confronted....things can escalate very quickly. Luckily no one was seriously injured on this one.
Old Wed Feb 15, 2017, 09:39am
Do not give a damn!!

I saw a man approach another man that is backing up and he pushed him away. Now if you are innocent, then do not get into my face as I am backing away from you inicially. And without exact words I have no idea what was said. The "parent" is trying to act innocent when he never backed away until the official pushed him.

Look at the end of the day I am a grown man. You come at me in a certain way, I will protect myself. Now it might be in another way, but I am still protecting myself. Just because I have stripes on does not mean I am taking an azz whoopin because I am in a position. Sorry, not how it works.

Peace

Last edited by JRutledge; Wed Feb 15, 2017 at 10:23am. Reason: Said "she" instead of "he."
Old Wed Feb 15, 2017, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

Of course the news article makes official look bad. You can see though the guy was part of the table and in the second video he follows the official onto the floor and walks into him. Table guy could have gotten much worse than a shove. Long way from an innocent parent….. School failed in many ways.

let them call their own if they want to have a circus.
Old Wed Feb 15, 2017, 09:56am
Get away from me, Steve.

That Bleacher Report idiot needs to learn what journalism actually is.
Old Wed Feb 15, 2017, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
That Bleacher Report idiot needs to learn what journalism actually is.
The school administrator in the news report is also a clown. "official having a bad day…."