The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 16, 2017, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robmoz View Post
Well here are some facts from the game....

The PA announcer was instructed to refrain from giving play by play during live play by the R, yet continued to do so. Site admin was summoned (the AD) and he initially refused to correct the problem until the R refused to resume play. The AD then runs to the table, picks up the mic and slams it down on the table while yelling disparaging remarks towards the R. The AD is then ejected from the gym. This occurred during a very rough 2Qtr after 14 fouls had been called and one player fouled out before halftime.

The crowd was verbally hostile after every call against the home team and accused the officials of cheating with chants and vulgar comments ...[there were 63 fouls called in the contest (32/31)]. Debris was being thrown onto the court, there was no site staff taking action so the officials suspended the game with 1:13 remaining in the game.

When the R reported this to the HC's, the PA Announcer (not just some random parent) jumps up from the scorer's table and makes a run at R to confront him. The R defends himself with a two-handed chest shove (no punches), the PA guy is restrained backwards with arms wide as if his actions were innocent and he was claiming the official attacked him (clearly not the case though).

At that point all hell breaks loose and the benches and bleachers spill out onto the floor as the officials make a bee line for their locker room.
Thanks for coming here and telling us the rest of the story. Seems like a lot more happened then what a short video shows.

Once the AD was thrown I would have told the home coach he needs to have the gym cleared and once it does come get the visiting team and my crew and we will continue the game. Tell the visiting team hit your locker room we will come out when things are cleared out. No reason to work in these conditions.
Old Thu Feb 16, 2017, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
Thanks for coming here and telling us the rest of the story. Seems like a lot more happened then what a short video shows.

Once the AD was thrown I would have told the home coach he needs to have the gym cleared and once it does come get the visiting team and my crew and we will continue the game. Tell the visiting team hit your locker room we will come out when things are cleared out. No reason to work in these conditions.
I think you'd be better of just leaving than saying this…I don't have any idea what I "would have done" and hope I don't ever have to find out...
Old Thu Feb 16, 2017, 04:56pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Here is an archive copy of the article that appeared in today's Detroit Free Press.

Quote:
An MHSAA report by the referees who worked the game was obtained by the Free Press.
http://archive.is/zIZdo

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Thu Feb 16, 2017, 10:33pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stat-Man View Post
Here is an archive copy of the article that appeared in today's Detroit Free Press.

http://archive.is/zIZdo
That's MUCH more fair and balanced reporting than the report the news channel put out. Unfortunately more people probably saw the news report.