The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Referee pushes parent (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/102261-referee-pushes-parent.html)

deecee Wed Feb 15, 2017 08:07am

Referee pushes parent

Referee Pushes Parent During High School Basketball Game | Bleacher Report

Man the parents are stupid. The father came on the court after the game was called because the AD got tossed, a fan threw a bottle on the court and the ref pushed the father, and it's the refs fault. Shame.

IAUMP Wed Feb 15, 2017 08:18am

While the parent should not have been on the court confronting the official, there is no excuse for the official to shove the parent. That is what game management is for. So I would have to agree that it is the officials fault.

bob jenkins Wed Feb 15, 2017 08:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by IAUMP (Post 1000273)
While the parent should not have been on the court confronting the official, there is no excuse for the official to shove the parent. That is what game management is for. So I would have to agree that it is the officials fault.

The AD had already been ejected -- there was probably not much "game management" left.

And, I'd like to know more about the incident that led to the shove.

(Note -- I did not watch the accompanying video -- maybe it's covered in there.)

deecee Wed Feb 15, 2017 08:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by IAUMP (Post 1000273)

Tsk, tsk. There is an excuse for the official to shove the parent. Don't come on the court, don't confront the officials, don't expect that your behavior is ok and that being confrontational will always end in rainbows and unicorns.

You would take a pummeling from a parent with the "hope" that game management would pull him/her off you?

frezer11 Wed Feb 15, 2017 08:58am

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 1000275)
Tsk, tsk. There is an excuse for the official to shove the parent. Don't come on the court, don't confront the officials, don't expect that your behavior is ok and that being confrontational will always end in rainbows and unicorns.

You would take a pummeling from a parent with the "hope" that game management would pull him/her off you?

Pummeling from a parent? Not sure there's any evidence of that. This thing got out of hand because the person in charge or game management got tossed, and apparently no other adult would step up, but that doesn't provide an excuse for anyone (official, coach, fan, whoever) to shove and potentially start a brawl. Call the game when you realize its out of hand beyond control and get off the court, but don't make matters worse.

BryanV21 Wed Feb 15, 2017 09:04am

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 1000275)

What "pummeling"? That parent didn't shove the official first. Are you assuming the parent was going to start throwing punches?

Every adult involved in this altercation should be ashamed, along with facing the appropriate punishment. And you may say "we don't know what was said", but if words set you off like they did this official then you're as much the problem as anybody or anything.

Furthermore, I hope they investigate things and find out just how this game got out of hand. And make sure it doesn't happen again.

Robmoz Wed Feb 15, 2017 09:14am

Well here are some facts from the game....

The PA announcer was instructed to refrain from giving play by play during live play by the R, yet continued to do so. Site admin was summoned (the AD) and he initially refused to correct the problem until the R refused to resume play. The AD then runs to the table, picks up the mic and slams it down on the table while yelling disparaging remarks towards the R. The AD is then ejected from the gym. This occurred during a very rough 2Qtr after 14 fouls had been called and one player fouled out before halftime.

The crowd was verbally hostile after every call against the home team and accused the officials of cheating with chants and vulgar comments ...[there were 63 fouls called in the contest (32/31)]. Debris was being thrown onto the court, there was no site staff taking action so the officials suspended the game with 1:13 remaining in the game.

When the R reported this to the HC's, the PA Announcer (not just some random parent) jumps up from the scorer's table and makes a run at R to confront him. The R defends himself with a two-handed chest shove (no punches), the PA guy is restrained backwards with arms wide as if his actions were innocent and he was claiming the official attacked him (clearly not the case though).

At that point all hell breaks loose and the benches and bleachers spill out onto the floor as the officials make a bee line for their locker room.

BryanV21 Wed Feb 15, 2017 09:24am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robmoz (Post 1000279)
Well here are some facts from the game....

The PA announcer was instructed to refrain from giving play by play during live play by the R, yet continued to do so. Site admin was summoned (the AD) and he initially refused to correct the problem until the R refused to resume play. The AD then runs to the table, picks up the mic and slams it down on the table while yelling disparaging remarks towards the R. The AD is then ejected from the gym. This occurred during a very rough 2Qtr after 14 fouls had been called and one player fouled out before halftime.

The crowd was verbally hostile after every call against the home team and accused the officials of cheating with chants and vulgar comments ...[there were 63 fouls called in the contest (32/31)]. Debris was being thrown onto the court, there was no site staff taking action so the officials suspended the game with 1:13 remaining in the game.

When the R reported this to the HC's, the PA Announcer (not just some random parent) jumps up from the scorer's table and makes a run at R to confront him. The R defends himself with a two-handed chest shove (no punches), the PA guy is restrained backwards with arms wide as if his actions were innocent and he was claiming the official attacked him (clearly not the case though).

At that point all hell breaks loose and the benches and bleachers spill out onto the floor as the officials make a bee line for their locker room.

Thanks for filling us in on more facts of the game.

Sounds like a whole lot of "fail" by the school.

Rich Wed Feb 15, 2017 09:29am

That person is on the court -- a place where he doesn't belong.

I don't blame the official for shoving the person who was where he did not belong -- he created separation.

Why isn't anyone asking why the guy is trespassing on the court?

Robmoz Wed Feb 15, 2017 09:30am

BTW, this was an experienced, well-respected crew. Also, both head coaches are known for their passion, competitive spirit, and at times over-the-top behavior towards officials.

IMO, this is all the result of site admins failing to address unsporting behavior in the stands, a big lack of security or inadequate staffing for the event, and a total loss of perspective of their mission for HS sports.

Robmoz Wed Feb 15, 2017 09:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by frezer11 (Post 1000276)
Pummeling from a parent? Not sure there's any evidence of that. This thing got out of hand because the person in charge or game management got tossed, and apparently no other adult would step up, but that doesn't provide an excuse for anyone (official, coach, fan, whoever) to shove and potentially start a brawl. Call the game when you realize its out of hand beyond control and get off the court, but don't make matters worse.

The official has a right to defend himself and doesn't have to wait for a "first punch" to be thrown. You need to understand that we have precedent here in Detroit of officials being attacked and KILLED as a result of such senseless actions! He didn't have the chance to even finish informing the coaches of the decision to end the game before he was confronted....things can escalate very quickly. Luckily no one was seriously injured on this one.

JRutledge Wed Feb 15, 2017 09:39am

I saw a man approach another man that is backing up and he pushed him away. Now if you are innocent, then do not get into my face as I am backing away from you inicially. And without exact words I have no idea what was said. The "parent" is trying to act innocent when he never backed away until the official pushed him.

Look at the end of the day I am a grown man. You come at me in a certain way, I will protect myself. Now it might be in another way, but I am still protecting myself. Just because I have stripes on does not mean I am taking an azz whoopin because I am in a position. Sorry, not how it works.

Peace

BigCat Wed Feb 15, 2017 09:39am

Of course the news article makes official look bad. You can see though the guy was part of the table and in the second video he follows the official onto the floor and walks into him. Table guy could have gotten much worse than a shove. Long way from an innocent parent….. School failed in many ways.

let them call their own if they want to have a circus.

Rich Wed Feb 15, 2017 09:56am

That Bleacher Report idiot needs to learn what journalism actually is.

BigCat Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 1000293)
That Bleacher Report idiot needs to learn what journalism actually is.

The school administrator in the news report is also a clown. "official having a bad day…."