The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 05, 2006, 12:06am
Official Forum Member

fielder pushes runner off of the bag

did anyone see the phils- brewers last week. ryan howard was on 3rd base. a line drive was hit the the 3rd baseman who then dived towards third in an attempt to double off howard. howard dives back in, the ump signaled safe and then the 3rd baseman's glove(with the ball in it) hit howard's hand and pushed it off of the bag and then the ump ruled him out! the local paper rec'd an explanation from the ump which stated that there wasn't an intent to push his hand off of the bag, simply the 3rd baseman's momentum and therefore the play is legal and the runner is out. i heard this story second hand and couldnt believe it. how could they allow the runner to be pushed off of the bag - regardless of intent. why was the 3rd baseman even trying to tag howard?? all he had to do was touch the base - to which he was closer (howard slid head first the the outside part of the bag.
thoughts???
Old Mon Jun 05, 2006, 07:11am
Official Forum Member

Any thoughts? Yes: HTBT. Very hard to tell what happened from your description, and I did not see it.
Old Mon Jun 05, 2006, 08:09am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
1991 Ws

Wasn't there a play like this in the '91 World Series between Atlanta and Minnesota? I seem to recall Hrbek pushing an Atlanta runner off first on a pick-off play.
Old Mon Jun 05, 2006, 08:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggk
did anyone see the phils- brewers last week. ryan howard was on 3rd base. a line drive was hit the the 3rd baseman who then dived towards third in an attempt to double off howard. howard dives back in, the ump signaled safe and then the 3rd baseman's glove(with the ball in it) hit howard's hand and pushed it off of the bag and then the ump ruled him out! the local paper rec'd an explanation from the ump which stated that there wasn't an intent to push his hand off of the bag, simply the 3rd baseman's momentum and therefore the play is legal and the runner is out. i heard this story second hand and couldnt believe it. how could they allow the runner to be pushed off of the bag - regardless of intent. why was the 3rd baseman even trying to tag howard?? all he had to do was touch the base - to which he was closer (howard slid head first the the outside part of the bag.
thoughts???
Based on your description, it's a good call. Runners who have "secure posession" of the base won't be pushed off by such a tag. Runners who don't have secure posession are liable to be called out.
Old Mon Jun 05, 2006, 10:13am
Stop staring at me swan.

Kent Hrbek, Ron Gant. 1991 series. excellent video clip of "securing possession" of the base...or in that case...not securing possession of 1st base!
Old Mon Jun 05, 2006, 10:13am
Stop staring at me swan.

Kent Hrbek, Ron Gant. 1991 series. excellent video clip of "securing possession" of the base...or in that case...not securing possession of 1st base!
Old Mon Jun 05, 2006, 10:34am
LeftyRef

I saw this play on SportsCenter. Can anyone find a video of it online?

What about for the '91 incident?

I've tried Google, no luck.
Old Mon Jun 05, 2006, 10:37am
Stop staring at me swan.

yes, it would be nice to see the current clip that is being discussed. lefty, i think the '91 incident was being compared to this current one from the phils/brewers game. anybody who scouts for Inside Edge, might have a clip of this game
Old Mon Jun 05, 2006, 09:49pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Peruvian Send a message via Yahoo to Peruvian
I think the interpretation by Fitzpatrick stated that "if a runner going into a base does not have body control, he is out when a hard tag knocks him off the base." I think it's in hte 2005 BRD under "Runner."

Did he have body control going into the bag?
Old Mon Jun 05, 2006, 10:56pm
Official Forum Member

What if it is a hard tag and he has control of the base? Call time and award him the base?
Old Mon Jun 05, 2006, 11:40pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm21711
What if it is a hard tag and he has control of the base? Call time and award him the base?
Hey Tim!!! Where are you at on this one? This is just like the kid that got tagged in the nads and came off the base in pain. The out stands!!!
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Tue Jun 06, 2006, 01:29am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
Hey Tim!!! Where are you at on this one? This is just like the kid that got tagged in the nads and came off the base in pain. The out stands!!!
Oh man. I'm awarding the kid home to compensate for his pain. Actually, I'll eject him. Teach him to wear a cup, lol.