The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 09, 2017, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

Shot clock is really hard to administer with two officials. In Minnesota, most games outside the metro are still two officials.
Old Thu Feb 09, 2017, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

I hate babysitting coaches, and that includes the seatbelt rule. Especially for indirect T's. I don't think making coaches sit because of the way their bench acts is necessary-this coming from someone who does not put up with BS from assistants.

At least for SC, if the $300 fine and suspension aren't enough of a deterrent from poor behavior, the seatbelt rule isn't going to do anything. If more T's happen because of no seatbelt rule, I don't necessarily see that as a bad thing. Just toss the coach if he continues to act up after the first T. Force the coach to be in control of his own behavior, standing or sitting.
Old Thu Feb 09, 2017, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
I hate babysitting coaches, and that includes the seatbelt rule. Especially for indirect T's. I don't think making coaches sit because of the way their bench acts is necessary-this coming from someone who does not put up with BS from assistants.

At least for SC, if the $300 fine and suspension aren't enough of a deterrent from poor behavior, the seatbelt rule isn't going to do anything. If more T's happen because of no seatbelt rule, I don't necessarily see that as a bad thing. Just toss the coach if he continues to act up after the first T. Force the coach to be in control of his own behavior, standing or sitting.
WHAT???? That is remarkably awesome.
Old Thu Feb 09, 2017, 12:23pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:

As long as officials aren't avoiding TCB because of their knowledge of the fine that will result, I have no problem with the process.

My experience in other states that fine coaches is that associations and officials took more crap because they were aware of the fine and didn't want to appear heavy handed.

(If there's a fine for a single technical foul, that's ludicrous, IMO.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE Minnestoa Re View Post
Shot clock is really hard to administer with two officials. In Minnesota, most games outside the metro are still two officials.
I find it hard to believe that Wisconsin has gone from way behind most everyone in implementing 3-person officiating to almost 100% at the varsity level.....and other places are still using 2 officials.

I'm thankful, but find it hard to believe.

I am working 3 youth games on Saturday morning 2-person (5 minutes from home, $35, games on the hour) and I wonder how many times I'll forget to look in the corner or go opposite as the L on free throws.

OnTopic: I think the shot clock is an unneeded expense and should be left up to the states by the NFHS.)
Old Thu Feb 09, 2017, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
As long as officials aren't avoiding TCB because of their knowledge of the fine that will result, I have no problem with the process.

My experience in other states that fine coaches is that associations and officials took more crap because they were aware of the fine and didn't want to appear heavy handed.

(If there's a fine for a single technical foul, that's ludicrous, IMO.)
The fine is for getting ejected.

And I agree with you on TCB. I've encountered more than one official who won't toss coaches because of the fine, but overall I think the fine and suspension do a pretty decent job of curtailing the behavior.

OT: One coach a couple weeks ago got whacked in the first quarter. Last couple minutes of the game he went apes*it and got tossed, charging after the ejecting official. He got suspended for the rest of the season by the district and ended up resigning.
Old Thu Feb 09, 2017, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The fine is for getting ejected.

And I agree with you on TCB. I've encountered more than one official who won't toss coaches because of the fine, but overall I think the fine and suspension do a pretty decent job of curtailing the behavior.

OT: One coach a couple weeks ago got whacked in the first quarter. Last couple minutes of the game he went apes*it and got tossed, charging after the ejecting official. He got suspended for the rest of the season by the district and ended up resigning.
Wow...
Old Thu Feb 09, 2017, 12:42pm
Get away from me, Steve.

I've ejected 2 coaches in 30 years. One was in year 4 or 5 and one was in year 9 or 10. It's been that long. One JV head coach who followed me to the locker room at HALFTIME (I told him to stay in the locker room) and one Christian (non-affiliated) HS head coach.

Probably one we should've run about 10 years ago here, but he was the one I let get away (with it).

Stuff like that just shouldn't happen much in HS hoops.
Old Thu Feb 09, 2017, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I've ejected 2 coaches in 30 years. One was in year 4 or 5 and one was in year 9 or 10. It's been that long. One JV head coach who followed me to the locker room at HALFTIME (I told him to stay in the locker room) and one Christian (non-affiliated) HS head coach.

Probably one we should've run about 10 years ago here, but he was the one I let get away (with it).

Stuff like that just shouldn't happen much in HS hoops.
Rich what was said/done with these to push you to ejection?
Old Thu Feb 09, 2017, 01:03pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
Rich what was said/done with these to push you to ejection?
The varsity one was a second technical foul. The first came on the first foul of the game where my partner called a block and the coach came up off his seat onto the court and started screaming at him and quickly picked up a technical foul. I sent him packing when he started in on me in the second quarter and persisted even though I warned him and probably warned him again.

The JV one -- he got a technical foul in the first half and when we were walking to the locker room he "jumped" us and started telling us how horrible we were. I gave him one chance to walk away, then I told him he was ejected. Long time ago now and I probably was a lot worse than I am now, but still...
Old Thu Feb 09, 2017, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

Wouldn't the official warning just end up being like an unpunished 3rd technical foul. I'm not a fan of that one.

Don't like halves. Men's college is the only basketball that uses it and I hope they switch in the not too distant future.

Would love a shot clock.
Would love fouls reset at quarters and shoot at 5.
Don't need any more technical fouls added to the books, especially for clothing.

And, even though it wasn't asked I'll chime in on the seatbelt. Get rid of it. It's not enforced around here anyway - not with any consistency.
Old Thu Feb 09, 2017, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The varsity one was a second technical foul. The first came on the first foul of the game where my partner called a block and the coach came up off his seat onto the court and started screaming at him and quickly picked up a technical foul. I sent him packing when he started in on me in the second quarter and persisted even though I warned him and probably warned him again.

The JV one -- he got a technical foul in the first half and when we were walking to the locker room he "jumped" us and started telling us how horrible we were. I gave him one chance to walk away, then I told him he was ejected. Long time ago now and I probably was a lot worse than I am now, but still...
Thanks for sharing
Old Thu Feb 09, 2017, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Good luck collecting the $300 fine.
Old Thu Feb 09, 2017, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Regarding 4: I like the added incentive to behave that the seatbelt rule provides.
Respectfully: You think the threat of ejection isn't incentive enough? I'm with SC Official on this one (fine or no fine). I hate the seatbelt rule.
Old Thu Feb 09, 2017, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindolbat View Post
Don't like halves. Men's college is the only basketball that uses it and I hope they switch in the not too distant future.

Would love a shot clock.
Would love fouls reset at quarters and shoot at 5.
Don't need any more technical fouls added to the books, especially for clothing.
I don't mind halves, but I like what NCAA-W has done with quarters and two shots at five. Prevents a lot of rough play on the front end of 1-and-1s. So if remaining at or reverting to quarters in order to employ this bonus scheme, I'm all for it.

Agree, but I'm with Rich in that this should be a state-by-state adoption, formally endorsed by NFHS as an option. There are some places where it just wouldn't be necessary; very few of the possessions I've seen this year have been of the "delay" variety. For those states that do add the SC, I wouldn't mind a multi-year phasing-in period so that states/schools have time to plan for funding of the new equipment and rules modifications.

Agree.

And lastly, I'm going to respectfully disagree with Rich on the coach TO issue. I concur that I usually know when to anticipate a TO call by the coach, and with three of us on the floor, at least one of us will usually get it right away. But there are occasional times when we just don't see or hear the request, and then the coach blames us and things get testy. I also hate when, on a loose ball, I have to figure out player control while a voice behind me---who is usually the HC but sometimes isn't---is calling for TO, and process all of that information in less than a second. I'd rather I just have to get the TO request from a player in my field of vision.

Last edited by crosscountry55; Thu Feb 09, 2017 at 02:36pm.
Old Thu Feb 09, 2017, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
I don't mind halves, but I like what NCAA-W has done with quarters and two shots at five. Prevents a lot of rough play on the front end of 1-and-1s. So if remaining at or reverting to quarters in order to employ this bonus scheme, I'm all for it.

Agree, but I'm with Rich in that this should be a state-by-state adoption, formally endorsed by NFHS as an option. There are some places where it just wouldn't be necessary; very few of the possessions I've seen this year have been of the "delay" variety. For those states that do add the SC, I wouldn't mind a multi-year phasing-in period so that states/schools have time to plan for funding of the new equipment and rules modifications.

Agree.

And lastly, I'm going to respectfully disagree with Rich on the coach TO issue. I concur that I usually know when to anticipate a TO call by the coach, and with three of us on the floor, at least one of us will usually get it right away. But there are occasional times when we just don't see or hear the request, and then the coach blames us and things get testy. I also hate when, on a loose ball, I have to figure out player control while a voice behind me---who is usually the HC but sometimes isn't---is calling for TO, and process all of that information in less than a second. I'd rather I just have to get the TO request from a player in my field of vision.
It appears as if you are breaking up your posts in hopes of avoiding the $10 fine for excessive words in a post. I suppose i won't ever be able to collect that either…

On a serious note, i'm ok with the seatbelt rule simply because so many coaches want to stand all the time. It's just another reminder that they need to modify their behavior or go start the bus.

Last edited by BigCat; Thu Feb 09, 2017 at 02:48pm.