Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 09, 2017, 02:51pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
Good luck collecting the $300 fine.
In VA, the school gets a $500 fine when a coach gets ejected. Many schools make the coach pay it.
Old Thu Feb 09, 2017, 02:55pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
It appears as if you are breaking up your posts in hopes of avoiding the $10 fine for excessive words in a post. I suppose i won't ever be able to collect that either…

On a serious note, i'm ok with the seatbelt rule simply because so many coaches want to stand all the time. It's just another reminder that they need to modify their behavior or go start the bus.
I would love for HS to get rid of the seat belt rule and go to a 28' coaching box. I would pull the trigger on a lot more T's by lowering my threshold for bullcrap. Then the coaches could go about their business of coaching their teams and I wouldn't have to worry about whether or not they were standing or sitting. The more freedoms the coaches have, the less feeling of angst I feel in popping them.
Old Thu Feb 09, 2017, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I would love for HS to get rid of the seat belt rule and go to a 28' coaching box. I would pull the trigger on a lot more T's by lowering my threshold for bullcrap. Then the coaches could go about their business of coaching their teams and I wouldn't have to worry about whether or not they were standing or sitting. The more freedoms the coaches have, the less feeling of angst I feel in popping them.
I guess part of my liking the seat belt rule is that i come from a place where the coach would say "i coached Monday through Thursday. They know what to do." I'm fine with coaches standing and coaching. Some though, maybe many, try to become part of the game….put on show for themselves etc…

I guess i would add that it doesn't even enter my mind that if i call a T the coach will have to sit. I just don't care about that. Now after he's got one i certainly want to be sure that if he's going to get another one its going to be obvious to everyone.

Last edited by BigCat; Thu Feb 09, 2017 at 03:19pm.
Old Thu Feb 09, 2017, 03:16pm
TODO: creative title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE Minnestoa Re View Post
Shot clock is really hard to administer with two officials. In Minnesota, most games outside the metro are still two officials.
There's still a few varsity games in the Twin Cities metro that are 2-person for varsity... I've got one tonight in fact. But two-person varsity is down to basically small charter schools (and one conference that only uses 3-person "sometimes", but at least one of the coaches in that league is pushing for 3-person for every game).

Outstate... I've heard tell that some areas literally don't have enough officials for three-person games at the varsity level (mainly in the northern part of the state), but that's all hearsay on my end.

Regarding a shot clock... NO. No need. I haven't specifically kept track, but from what I can remember in my games this year, there's only been a handful of possessions, maybe 5 total, where we would've had a 30-second shot-clock violation. Most high school kids aren't patient enough to have an entire possession last 30 seconds, even when they should be trying to delay.
Old Thu Feb 09, 2017, 03:47pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Confused In Connecticut ...

Many are commenting on the "seatbelt rule".

I thought that most states went to the coaching box when it was offered as an option many years ago? Are there still states where the coach has to be seated 95% of the game, only rising to call timeouts, congratulate players, ask about a correctable error, etc.?

Or by "seatbelt rule", are Forum members talking about the removal of coaching box privilege after a coach is charged with a technical foul?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Feb 09, 2017, 03:54pm
NFHS Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post

Or by "seatbelt rule", are Forum members talking about the removal of coaching box privilege after a coach is charged with a technical foul?
This
Old Thu Feb 09, 2017, 04:11pm
Esteemed Forum Member

The Kindness Of Strangers ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
This
Thank you.

Are there any states that do not use the coaching box?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Feb 09, 2017, 04:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
Agree, but I'm with Rich in that this should be a state-by-state adoption, formally endorsed by NFHS as an option.
Isn't it already? The fact that some states use it and some states don't, doesn't that mean that it already is a state-by-state adoption?
Old Thu Feb 09, 2017, 04:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post
Regarding a shot clock... NO. No need. I haven't specifically kept track, but from what I can remember in my games this year, there's only been a handful of possessions, maybe 5 total, where we would've had a 30-second shot-clock violation. Most high school kids aren't patient enough to have an entire possession last 30 seconds, even when they should be trying to delay.
Heard about a game that was 25-25 at end of regulation. Team A, who was responsible for this ridiculousness, got the tip and held it the entire OT for one last shot. They missed it.
Old Thu Feb 09, 2017, 05:18pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by frezer11 View Post
Isn't it already? The fact that some states use it and some states don't, doesn't that mean that it already is a state-by-state adoption?
Not endorsed as an option. In fact, states that use it forfeit their seats on the rules committee.
Old Thu Feb 09, 2017, 05:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIgiantslayers View Post
Heard about a game that was 25-25 at end of regulation. Team A, who was responsible for this ridiculousness, got the tip and held it the entire OT for one last shot. They missed it.
I've had 25-25 scores for teams that were trying to score!! I am surprised about the OT tactic though, it seems to me that any time a team is trying to stall, they inevitably turn it over if the possession is longer than about 45 seconds or so.
Old Thu Feb 09, 2017, 05:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIgiantslayers View Post
Most likely Team B was just as responsible because they played passive defense.
Old Thu Feb 09, 2017, 06:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
I don't want a shot clock. Aside from the cost, getting someone to run it reliably would be a disaster.
I'm not sure I could handle games without a shot clock, I've had them in the past and they are sllllooooowwww.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Old Thu Feb 09, 2017, 06:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
Please please please NFHS...

1) Implement or at least allow two-handed reporting.
2) Let the players roll their damn shorts and wear the fancy headbands.
3) Expand the coaching box to 28 feet.
4) Get rid of the seatbelt rule.

I know I'm dreaming.
I agree with most except they should shrink the coaching box

Old Thu Feb 09, 2017, 06:11pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesshank View Post
I'm not sure I could handle games without a shot clock, I've had them in the past and they are sllllooooowwww.

The numbers don't bear this out. The 25-25 games are a rarity, and most games keep a reasonable pace. I personally wouldn't mind the NFHS making it a valid option, but I'd vote against it in my state if given the chance. It's a solution in search of a problem.