The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 09, 2017, 10:37pm
TODO: creative title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIgiantslayers View Post
Heard about a game that was 25-25 at end of regulation. Team A, who was responsible for this ridiculousness, got the tip and held it the entire OT for one last shot. They missed it.
Hell, my game tonight was 17-10 at halftime, and ended with a final score in the neighborhood of 38-30. And they were trying to score, it was just a defensive struggle (I think there were at least 15 blocked shots).

There was a boys state final here a few years ago that went to something like 4 overtimes, and in each overtime the team that won the toss held the ball for the first 3:50 of the overtime period. And this was a game between two of the largest schools in the state.

Even with that, I still don't think we need a shot clock.
Old Thu Feb 09, 2017, 11:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
Good luck collecting the $300 fine.
Not really sure what you mean by this. The SCHSL has its flaws, but fine collection is not one of them. Any coach or AD with half a brain is well aware of this penalty.
Old Fri Feb 10, 2017, 01:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
Not really sure what you mean by this. The SCHSL has its flaws, but fine collection is not one of them. Any coach or AD with half a brain is well aware of this penalty.

I was talking about the guy who got suspended and then resigned. Did they really maintain jurisdiction over him after he left so that they could collect?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Fri Feb 10, 2017, 08:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Heard about a game that was 25-25 at end of regulation. Team A, who was responsible for this ridiculousness, got the tip and held it the entire OT for one last shot. They missed it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post
There was a boys state final here a few years ago that went to something like 4 overtimes, and in each overtime the team that won the toss held the ball for the first 3:50 of the overtime period.
Solution:

The rules already allow the coaches, by agreement with the Referee (in Varsity games) to shorten the length of a quarter.

So, when one team is holding, and the other is playing back, the coaches negotiate a shorter quarter (say :30), the R agrees, the timer sets the clock and re-starts it.
Old Fri Feb 10, 2017, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Solution:

The rules already allow the coaches, by agreement with the Referee (in Varsity games) to shorten the length of a quarter.

So, when one team is holding, and the other is playing back, the coaches negotiate a shorter quarter (say :30), the R agrees, the timer sets the clock and re-starts it.
That should have happened. There's no reason for everyone to stand around with their hands in their pocket for 3:50.
Old Fri Feb 10, 2017, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

What is the incentive for coaches to agree on reducing the time in the quarter?
Old Fri Feb 10, 2017, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Ref View Post
Better hourly pay?
Old Fri Feb 10, 2017, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Better hourly pay?
*ahhh OK, you're right, I should've thought of that before I posted my Q!
Old Fri Feb 10, 2017, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Ref View Post
they don't like standing around for 3.5 minutes any more than we do.
Old Fri Feb 10, 2017, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

In all seriousness, what is the process for this? Can the coaches yell at each other during a live ball, "Hey, want to just go with 2:00 minutes?" Or does this have to be brought to our attention during a quarter break, or official time out, or what? I imagine this is rare enough that I don't need to worry about it, but just curious-
Old Fri Feb 10, 2017, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frezer11 View Post
In all seriousness, what is the process for this? Can the coaches yell at each other during a live ball, "Hey, want to just go with 2:00 minutes?" Or does this have to be brought to our attention during a quarter break, or official time out, or what? I imagine this is rare enough that I don't need to worry about it, but just curious-
There is no procedure for this. I was proposing one (without, I admit, many of the details.)
Old Fri Feb 10, 2017, 01:45pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Solution:

Would this be during live play or would you re-start the 30 seconds with a throw-in?
Old Fri Feb 10, 2017, 01:57pm
AremRed

Here are the rules changes proposals.

1. Beginning with a team’s fifth foul in each quarter, shoot one-and-one; and for the seventh foul, award a bonus free throw only if the first free throw is successful. -- No. This is dumb, no other rule set does this.

2. Beginning with the eighth foul of each quarter, awarding two free-throw bonus. -- Also dumb, not other rule set does this

3. Starting a quarter – with the exception of overtime period – with team fouls at zero. -- Sure, assuming we shoot two shots on either 5th or 6th foul of quarter.

4. Assessing an administrative technical foul to the offending team for violation of the uniform, apparel, equipment and logo/trademark reference rules. -- No, currently rules are fine. Don't need to piss off coaches more.

5. Switching colored uniforms to the home team and white for the visitor. -- No. Why would this be a good idea?

6. Extending the correctable error rule to two dead balls after the error. -- Sure why not

7. Allowing officials to stop the clock and give an official warning, which is recorded in the scorebook, for unsportsmanlike behavior by the coach or team bench, when the offense falls below the threshold for a technical foul. After the official warning, any further issues result in a technical foul. -- Sure, gives officials another tool to manage coaches.

8. Allowing players to wear a bandanna style (tied) headband provided it meets color and width requirements. -- Sure, they allow it in the college game and there is no real safety issue.

9. Extending the optional coaching box to the end line (28 feet). -- Yes, but stress the importance of staying in the box to the coaches and allow officials to call a 1-shot POI technical for coaching box violations.

10. Beginning each quarter with team fouls at zero and start shooting bonus one-and-one at five fouls and bonus two shots at seven fouls in each quarter. -- No. Not sure how this is different from the ones above.

11. Reducing the number of time-outs from three 60-second and two 30-second time-outs to two 60-second and two 30-second time-outs per game. (Add one 30-second to overtime) -- No. Timeouts are fine as they are.

12. Initiating 30-second shot clock for boys and 35-second shot clock for girls. -- Yes to shot clock but it should be the same for boys and girls. 30 seconds.

13. Changing game from four quarters to two 20-minute halves (keep the bonus at seven team fouls, one-and-one, and 10 team fouls for two shots). --Hell no.

14. Charging an indirect technical to the head coach for any illegal uniforms or illegal apparel: headbands, wristbands, arm or leg compression sleeves. -- No. Current rules are fine and we don't need to piss off coaches more

15. Eliminating the bonus and shooting two free throws after the fifth foul in each quarter – with the foul count restarting in each quarter. -- Heck yes. Or we could make it after the 6th foul

16. Reducing time-outs by one. -- Not necessary

17. Beginning with the seventh team foul in each quarter, award a two-shot free-throw penalty, and erase team fouls beginning in each quarter. -- No

18. Eliminating closely guarded count during a live dribble in the frontcourt or backcourt. -- Yes, but only if we have a shot clock.

19. Eliminating time-outs granted to coaches during a live ball. -- Not really necessary or a good idea IMO
Old Fri Feb 10, 2017, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post

9. Extending the optional coaching box to the end line (28 feet). -- Yes, but stress the importance of staying in the box to the coaches and allow officials to call a 1-shot POI technical for coaching box violations.

18. Eliminating closely guarded count during a live dribble in the frontcourt or backcourt. -- Yes, but only if we have a shot clock.
For #9, would this lead to a bigger rule change? (I.e., other technical fouls that would be a Class B tech and only 1 FT) Also, would this then come with a coach losing the box or, are we eliminating the seatbelt rule with extension of the box? Finally, Would a 1 shot POI T count the same as a Direct to the HC for the purposes of DQ?

For #18, that's a great point, I hadn't thought about it before, but if there is a shot clock, then I absolutely think that the 5 second dribbling count should be eliminated.
Old Fri Feb 10, 2017, 02:32pm
Stubborn Member

What are the reasons the coaches box should be extended? Honestly asking, because my initial thought is "no".

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk