The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 25, 2017, 11:41am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by packersowner View Post
Lesson learned in all of this, don't come to an officials forum, complaining about all of the missed calls you have compiled.

Pretty much.

The response is a lot milder than I expected to be honest. I miss Jurassic, he would have known just what to say in this thread.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2017, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

Pretty entertaining replies!

The bottom line for this dad and others is: If the officiating sucks (in your opinion) then understand the teams playing are probably not that good and the better officials in the area are out calling the better games. On the flip side parents and coaches still complain about the better officials.....so welcome to this thankless profession. It is what it is.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2017, 12:25pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Official View Post
Pretty entertaining replies!

The bottom line for this dad and others is: If the officiating sucks (in your opinion) then understand the teams playing are probably not that good and the better officials in the area are out calling the better games. On the flip side parents and coaches still complain about the better officials.....so welcome to this thankless profession. It is what it is.
In some places (like many of my conferences I work) the officials are hired 18 months to 2 years in advance with dates and locations. Means I get some great games and some horrible games.

Truthfully, I need the great games to get through games like these. If I worked games like this every night, I'd retire.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2017, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

You don't want "better" officials. They would have most of the players fouled out for the crappy defense and you would most likely have received 2 T's because they aren't going to deal with your childish behavior.

You should be happy they find enough officials to work the games.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2017, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
In some places (like many of my conferences I work) the officials are hired 18 months to 2 years in advance with dates and locations. Means I get some great games and some horrible games.

Truthfully, I need the great games to get through games like these. If I worked games like this every night, I'd retire.
100% I agree completely and that's my sentiment too.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2017, 12:38pm
TODO: creative title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
I was working a girls JV game last night and had a set of fans that were very similar to the chief complainer in this video. Lots of very similar comments such as "That's a travel. Everyone knows that's a travel."

The thing is, I probably passed on one or two real travels all night. The rest? The players were still dribbling or weren't holding the ball. Lo siento Chuck but those aren't travels, carries or anything else.

A fan being loud doesn't make him right. It makes him obnoxious.

Do you know what my thought process was the whole night? Let me give you a hint, it wasn't "Oh these fans may be on to something. I ought to really consider if I'm missing travel calls."

I really hope I never sound like that when my daughters are playing sports. And if I do, I hope a fellow official slaps some sense into me and asks me what I'm doing. But then, there's a reason I tend to hide from the other spectators.
A similar thing happened to me last week... apparently a fan in the stands had learned the term "displacement" from somewhere, so the entire night he was yelling "she's displacing her" in various permutations.

As for the video... some plays were incorrectly called, some were correctly called, some could've gone either way. It happens. If I ever have a game where I get every call perfect, I'll retire.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2017, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

The OP needs to get some stripes and get on the court. You will learn very quickly how much of a difference the angles you have on the court are much different than from your seat in the bleachers.

The main thing is, just chill out and enjoy watching your kid play. She will be out of HS soon and you will miss it terribly.

And trust me, not one of those officials gives a damn who wins or loses those games.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2017, 01:40pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgame99 View Post
The OP needs to get some stripes and get on the court. You will learn very quickly how much of a difference the angles you have on the court are much different than from your seat in the bleachers.

The main thing is, just chill out and enjoy watching your kid play. She will be out of HS soon and you will miss it terribly.

And trust me, not one of those officials gives a damn who wins or loses those games.
I want him or any other official to start calling all of that stuff and see how far it gets them. Because you will have many complain that you are calling the game and making it about you. So I would love those "carry" calls to be made in a higher level game and see how long you stop working that level. Even at the Freshman level that would be laughed off the court.

Peace
Old Wed Jan 25, 2017, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by packersowner View Post
Lesson learned in all of this, don't come to an officials forum, complaining about all of the missed calls you have compiled.

As it turns out, this thread is cathartic to officials.

Old Wed Jan 25, 2017, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

There certainly things here though that should be looked at just mechanic wise and we can do better. I work with a veteran official that is near the end and we get in trouble on these types of games where his mechanics go away. Don't think its hard to stop the clock on every whistle and body language thats poor makes us an easy target.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2017, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
Actually the missed taunting at around the 4:20 mark by black 25 might be the worst missed call.
Correct! Forgot about that one. That video made me dumber by watching it. Maybe it was the idiotic commentary!
Old Wed Jan 25, 2017, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

Reffing bad basketball is tough. I did happen to catch the score where the OP's team was up 33-9 and still complaining about a no call. I would bet money that the officials called 30+ fouls and 15+ violations in that game.

I have been in blow outs where the "minimum" was called (still 30+ fouls and 15+ violations) and I am okay with this as long as the game was fair; meaning the level of contact and what is being called a violation was consistent for both teams.

There are a couple of no calls in this video that would have met my minimum threshold and I would be embarrassed to see video of me not getting it or getting it wrong; whether it be from me not hustling, not focusing on what I should be, or just deciding "why bother". This does not excuse the OP though, the video is in very poor taste.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2017, 03:31pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyrph View Post
These are not travel games. Not sure why that keeps being brought up. These are games from this season. It's not hundreds of games and it's not hundreds of officials. Our girls do train year round and do participate in travel ball, but each of these clips is from this school season.
In the flood of replies, I completely missed this. I think we made the assumption after you'd mentioned the travel stuff in original post. Not that we (I) thought it through too far, but it's not really relevant if these aren't travel league games. Most varsity level players around in my metro area are playing basketball all year long.

I still stand by my points, I'll just change the number to dozens.

I'll add that I've never had a high school coach (varsity, JV, or freshman) ever complain about a missed FT violation. Not to the point where he'd include it in a video proving how bad the officials are. That probably added to my assumptions.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2017, 03:33pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
In the flood of replies, I completely missed this. I think we made the assumption after you'd mentioned the travel stuff in original post. Not that we (I) thought it through too far, but it's not really relevant if these aren't travel league games. Most varsity level players around in my metro area are playing basketball all year long.

I still stand by my points, I'll just change the number to dozens.

I'll add that I've never had a high school coach (varsity, JV, or freshman) ever complain about a missed FT violation. Not to the point where he'd include it in a video proving how bad the officials are. That probably added to my assumptions.
Well, that one is pretty bad. I would've waved off the shot and started to the other end by the time the ball reached the basket.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2017, 03:57pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post

Last night, I had a JuCo coach who was up by 20 complain to my partner that an opponent shooter was crossed the line to quickly (not as blatantly as the one in this video) on a free throw where I was the C. So the next time that player was on the line I walked up to him and told him to remember to not to step in too quickly.