The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 25, 2017, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Agree. It's called advantage/disadvantage, and despite what some on the Forum say, advantage/disadvantage does apply to some violations. Now, if she uses that move and goes by a defender, then I will probably have a whistle on the play.
You can't sum it up any better!

Girls games are hard enough to get flow and decent play. I'm not calling every little thing in a girls game.

On a side note, you aren't going to get the best referees when this is the level of basketball being played. Lower level refs will miss some stuff. Get used to it dad!!!!!!
Old Wed Jan 25, 2017, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
The one at the beginning of the video?

Every time. I agree -- we look dumb if we don't.

That was probably the worst missed call on the video. Otherwise, lots of marginal "missed" call to good no calls.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2017, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Ten seconds on free throw. Maybe three seconds in the lane.

Nothing involving a boundary.

THE INTENT AND PURPOSE OF THE RULES
The restrictions which the rules place upon the players are intended to create a
balance of play ... is important to know the intent and purpose of a rule so that
it may be intelligently applied in each play situation. A player or a team should
not be permitted an advantage which is not intended by a rule. Neither should
play be permitted to develop which may lead to placing a player at a disadvantage
not intended by a rule.
I would add travel and carrying the ball as well.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2017, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
0:03 INC FT shooter violation
0:15 CNC carry
0:21 CNC carry
0:29 CNC carry
0:41 CNC travel, INC shooting foul, IC OOB direction
1:06 IC OOB direction (via slo-mo I have CC)
1:40 CNC push through screen
2:02 INC contact on airborne shooter
2:27 INC travel, IC foul
2:54 CNC foul
3:16 IC foul
3:44 IC foul
4:13 INC foul, CC OOB direction, INC taunt
4:47 CNC blocked shot, CC OOB direction
5:12 INC foul
5:33 IC OOB direction
6:06 CNC pushing through screener
6:24 CNC splitting two defenders
6:38 CNC on marginal block/charge
6:53 CNC marginal contact on arm after ball gone, IC OOB direction
7:13 CNC marginal contact after made layup
7:40 CNC held ball, CNC marginal contact on steal
7:49 INC held ball
7:59 CNC carry
8:26 INC foul
9:00 CC foul, defender never had legal position
9:46 CNC carry

19 correct, 16 incorrect, 54% CC percentage on these tough plays.

Girls basketball is ugly. A couple of these could go either way based on how tight/loose the game is being called. Reply back if you want specifics on any of the plays.
Wow man nice work.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2017, 10:29am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Referee View Post
That was probably the worst missed call on the video. Otherwise, lots of marginal "missed" call to good no calls.
I think for me the slow motion threw me off. I see she was deep in when it went through, but I'd rather see it at real speed before saying for sure whether I'd get it.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2017, 10:39am
NFHS Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Referee View Post
Actually the missed taunting at around the 4:20 mark by black 25 might be the worst missed call.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2017, 10:56am
Get away from me, Steve.

I would like to say I never work games like this, but I did recently and I'd hate to have a video done of our game, although I can tell you that I hustled from T to L and L to T and C to C a lot more than these guys did. That's just called professionalism.

But in the game I'm thinking of, I probably called 7-10 travels myself and eventually I edited my filter on those so I wouldn't call one on every last trip. I didn't favor one team over the other. If you pull one of those out of the game film and show it in isolation, it probably shows that I am a horrible official. Oh, well.

Do I think that some hustle and attentiveness would make these crews better? Yes, I do. But it's not going to make the level of play better. I'm not from the area of the OP and in our area we have far better teams and some teams that are worse and some at the same caliber as this. And let me tell you -- I've had some games where the quality of play has me feeling that I'm the best official in the world and some where NBA officials would look terrible. This kind of basketball leans towards the latter.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2017, 11:01am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
Actually the missed taunting at around the 4:20 mark by black 25 might be the worst missed call.
That and the free throw line violation at the beginning are the 2 biggest misses.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2017, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

Some of my favorite officials are those who have coached and now referee. You would think they would call too much or nothing. They actually have a great balance and patience with coaching.

All you have to do is buy two fox 40s and have you, assistants, players take turn refereeing for 4 minute half quarters. Your kids will learn how to let the referees do their job. You will learn how hard it is to decide what to stop play for. This will lead you to getting into the book and understand what we are taught for calling plays. This will lead to better discussions with your officials on asking kindly to watch 24 getting her hand under the ball and how that confuses your defender and why she runs into her.

I cant agree more that this is not great ball. With the shortage of officials the better ones are going to be working the higher skill games.

And you are telling us that these officials only had these questionable calls against you and never for you. Send us the entire film. Go through and see how many calls/no calls helped you.

Most important thing you can learn coach is your teams abilities and how they preform are 90% plus affecting you winning or losing. Play the perfect game. Hit 100% of your shots, etc then expect your referees to get 100% of their calls correct. Have you even watched college games. Do you not see them miss a massive 4 step travel after being paid thousands of $ for the nights game. Every level mistakes are made and they get them right. Yet every coach in the world who hasnt refereed is all over them.

All it takes is a little time some off season games. Do just a few and quit. You will learn so much that can help your team.

I for one appreciate you bringing the video. It just supports us that we do a good job and loses are never ever our fault. Wish more people understood.

Thanks for the gems brought up by the above referees. This forums is awesome!
Old Wed Jan 25, 2017, 11:25am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I would like to say I never work games like this, but I did recently and I'd hate to have a video done of our game, although I can tell you that I hustled from T to L and L to T and C to C a lot more than these guys did. That's just called professionalism.

But in the game I'm thinking of, I probably called 7-10 travels myself and eventually I edited my filter on those so I wouldn't call one on every last trip. I didn't favor one team over the other. If you pull one of those out of the game film and show it in isolation, it probably shows that I am a horrible official. Oh, well.

Do I think that some hustle and attentiveness would make these crews better? Yes, I do. But it's not going to make the level of play better. I'm not from the area of the OP and in our area we have far better teams and some teams that are worse and some at the same caliber as this. And let me tell you -- I've had some games where the quality of play has me feeling that I'm the best official in the world and some where NBA officials would look terrible. This kind of basketball leans towards the latter.
Agreed. I went ahead to look at the missed shooting foul at the 2:02 mark (or so), and that was clearly missed because the lead got beat, badly, down the court. He got beat by about 8 girls, so there were at least 4 players between him and the contact on the opposite side of the lane. T wasn't in a position to help on that contact, either. Is that because he didn't hustle? I don't know for sure, to be honest, but it sure looks like it.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2017, 11:29am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Another thought on the quality of officials in these games. You're going to get a mix of new officials, veterans looking to shake some rust off (or make some extra cash) in the off season, and perpetual travel league refs.

For the most part, you're going to get what you pay for. What you pay also includes the grief you're giving them. I quit working this sort of basketball for two reasons.

1. The pay for those games around here is atrocious. When they start paying a reasonable fee that actually compensates me for my time and not just my travel expenses, I'll consider it.

2. Parents and coaches are horrible. Let's just say their expectations of the officials far exceeds the quality of coaching and play. Many of those games wouldn't be worth the headache at 4 times the pay.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2017, 11:29am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Agreed. I went ahead to look at the missed shooting foul at the 2:02 mark (or so), and that was clearly missed because the lead got beat, badly, down the court. He got beat by about 8 girls, so there were at least 4 players between him and the contact on the opposite side of the lane. T wasn't in a position to help on that contact, either. Is that because he didn't hustle? I don't know for sure, to be honest, but it sure looks like it.
2:02 is sad. L doesn't hustle and the C isn't even in the picture. That's a great transition foul for C to get if he's hustling down the floor.

So, see, coach, we're willing to call out our own when we see something that warrants it.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2017, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Lesson learned in all of this, don't come to an officials forum, complaining about all of the missed calls you have compiled.

Old Wed Jan 25, 2017, 11:30am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Another thought on the quality of officials in these games. You're going to get a mix of new officials, veterans looking to shake some rust off (or make some extra cash) in the off season, and perpetual travel league refs.

For the most part, you're going to get what you pay for. What you pay also includes the grief you're giving them. I quit working this sort of basketball for two reasons.

1. The pay for those games around here is atrocious. When they start paying a reasonable fee that actually compensates me for my time and not just my travel expenses, I'll consider it.

2. Parents and coaches are horrible. Let's just say their expectations of the officials far exceeds the quality of coaching and play. Many of those games wouldn't be worth the headache at 4 times the pay.
I believe these are actually HS varsity games, BTW. I know it may not seem like it, but...who else hires 3-official crews?
Old Wed Jan 25, 2017, 11:36am
Archaic Power Monger

I was working a girls JV game last night and had a set of fans that were very similar to the chief complainer in this video. Lots of very similar comments such as "That's a travel. Everyone knows that's a travel."

The thing is, I probably passed on one or two real travels all night. The rest? The players were still dribbling or weren't holding the ball. Lo siento Chuck but those aren't travels, carries or anything else.

A fan being loud doesn't make him right. It makes him obnoxious.

Do you know what my thought process was the whole night? Let me give you a hint, it wasn't "Oh these fans may be on to something. I ought to really consider if I'm missing travel calls."

I really hope I never sound like that when my daughters are playing sports. And if I do, I hope a fellow official slaps some sense into me and asks me what I'm doing. But then, there's a reason I tend to hide from the other spectators.