View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 25, 2017, 12:38pm
TODO: creative title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
I was working a girls JV game last night and had a set of fans that were very similar to the chief complainer in this video. Lots of very similar comments such as "That's a travel. Everyone knows that's a travel."

The thing is, I probably passed on one or two real travels all night. The rest? The players were still dribbling or weren't holding the ball. Lo siento Chuck but those aren't travels, carries or anything else.

A fan being loud doesn't make him right. It makes him obnoxious.

Do you know what my thought process was the whole night? Let me give you a hint, it wasn't "Oh these fans may be on to something. I ought to really consider if I'm missing travel calls."

I really hope I never sound like that when my daughters are playing sports. And if I do, I hope a fellow official slaps some sense into me and asks me what I'm doing. But then, there's a reason I tend to hide from the other spectators.
A similar thing happened to me last week... apparently a fan in the stands had learned the term "displacement" from somewhere, so the entire night he was yelling "she's displacing her" in various permutations.

As for the video... some plays were incorrectly called, some were correctly called, some could've gone either way. It happens. If I ever have a game where I get every call perfect, I'll retire.