The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 09, 2017, 10:19pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB View Post
I think your really trying to stretch to get to serve T here lately.
Yes he has been stretching a lot of plays lately.

No way I am calling a foul on B3. B2 should complain to B3 about this one.

Peace
Old Mon Jan 09, 2017, 11:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelvinsmerli View Post
No, but I am thirsty. He who causes the foul. I had A2 hit B1 Who hit A1 and i nailed A2 for it. A coach went ballistic. Had 3 board members in the stands who went breathless till I got my preliminary out. Better 2 Be right than popular.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
This has nothing to do with the play in the OP.
Old Tue Jan 10, 2017, 10:45am
This IS My Social Life

Thank you for your responses to the original question. Based largely on insights shared on this forum, here's what was taught at our local association regarding the situations asked about. Feedback requested if any errors identified.
Chain Reaction Fouls Illustration
Old Tue Jan 10, 2017, 10:48am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Yes he has been stretching a lot of plays lately.

No way I am calling a foul on B3. B2 should complain to B3 about this one.

Peace
He has no rules support, either, but it's better to be "right."
Old Tue Jan 10, 2017, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Let me ask you this Rich, Suppose A1 is leaving ground on layup, in air. B3, total jerk, intentionally shoves B2, not a little push, not in any way an accident. Deliberately to take out A1. You know it and everyone in the gym knows it. B2 hits airborne A1 hard, takes his legs out etc. A1 goes to floor, hard.

What is your call? I told the OP i'd have to see it and it would have to be really bad..and gave a very extreme example as sniper pointed out, more as a joke because i doubt id ever see it. I used throwing the ball as an example because we've talked about using the ball to foul or throw it off player's face etc. Unsportsmanlike. In my play above i'm not going to let B3 off the hook. I think it is a non basketball, unsportsmanlike…flagrant etc. Will it ever happen? hopefully, not. But if a player's intent is clear, non basketball..unsportsmanlike etc., i'm going to penalize him. The fact that he uses one of his own players rather than the ball, his own body or a chair for that matter, doesn't change his intent. There is rules support to deal with B3. Generic unsportsmanlike etc but it is there.

Last edited by BigCat; Tue Jan 10, 2017 at 11:19am.
Old Tue Jan 10, 2017, 11:38am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
Let me ask you this Rich, Suppose A1 is leaving ground on layup, in air. B3, total jerk, intentionally shoves B2, not a little push, not in any way an accident. Deliberately to take out A1. You know it and everyone in the gym knows it. B2 hits airborne A1 hard, takes his legs out etc. A1 goes to floor, hard.

What is your call? I told the OP i'd have to see it and it would have to be really bad..and gave a very extreme example as sniper pointed out, more as a joke because i doubt id ever see it. I used throwing the ball as an example because we've talked about using the ball to foul or throw it off player's face etc. Unsportsmanlike. In my play above i'm not going to let B3 off the hook. I think it is a non basketball, unsportsmanlike…flagrant etc. Will it ever happen? hopefully, not. But if a player's intent is clear, non basketball..unsportsmanlike etc., i'm going to penalize him. The fact that he uses one of his own players rather than the ball, his own body or a chair for that matter, doesn't change his intent. There is rules support to deal with B3. Generic unsportsmanlike etc but it is there.
I'm talking about calling a personal foul here. I'm also not considering the absurd example, which might warrant an "absurd" response.
Old Tue Jan 10, 2017, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm talking about calling a personal foul here. I'm also not considering the absurd example, which might warrant an "absurd" response.
Fair enough…thx
Old Tue Jan 10, 2017, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

You have repeatedly used the term "unsportsmanlike."

I'd like to know what rules basis you have for referencing the play in this thread or your example as "unsportsmanlike." What exactly would you call here?
Old Tue Jan 10, 2017, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTerp View Post
You have repeatedly used the term "unsportsmanlike."

I'd like to know what rules basis you have for referencing the play in this thread or your example as "unsportsmanlike." What exactly would you call here?
If A1 has the ball for the throw in and throws the ball off of B1s face and you deem it unsporting as opposed to accidental, (See 10.4.6 sit B) what are you going to call and rule to cite?

I won't speak to the OP because as I said, id have to see it. I said unsporting is always an option. I should have said it is always a consideration. It has to be bad and deliberate to call it that. In my play, which is non basketball, deliberate etc I would call a Flagrant T and toss him. If we say it can't be a flagrant personal because there was no contact between B3 and A1 (which I agree with) then it becomes a Flagrant T. We are calling it by definition "non contact" and we decided it was unacceptable behavior.

Last edited by BigCat; Tue Jan 10, 2017 at 12:28pm.
Old Tue Jan 10, 2017, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If A1 has the ball for the throw in and throws the ball off of B1s face and you deem it unsporting as opposed to accidental, (See 10.4.6 sit B) what are you going to call and rule to cite?

I won't speak to the OP because as I said, id have to see it. I said unsporting is always an option. I should have said it is always a consideration. It has to be bad and deliberate to call it that. In my play, which is non basketball, deliberate etc I would call a Flagrant T and toss him. If we say it can't be a flagrant personal because there was no contact between B3 and A1 (which I agree with) then it becomes a Flagrant T. We are calling it by definition "non contact" and we decided it was unacceptable behavior.
I was just curious as to your line of thinking in relating this to the OP since you kept say unsportsmanlike, which is a football term and since unsporting fouls under NFHS rules clearly refer to non contact situations.

Throwing the ball off of someone's face is irrelevant to the OP.
Old Tue Jan 10, 2017, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTerp View Post
I was just curious as to your line of thinking in relating this to the OP since you kept say unsportsmanlike, which is a football term and since unsporting fouls under NFHS rules clearly refer to non contact situations.

Throwing the ball off of someone's face is irrelevant to the OP.
Unsporting is used in basketball rules and actually in the case play cited above. I cited that play simply because it is an example of somebody doing something unsporting, non basketball, intentional etc that doesn't involve actual physical contact between the bad actor player and the victim player. No player contact but unacceptable so needs to be called. Technical.

In the OP there was no physical contact between the bad actor and the victim player. So by definition we have "non contact" situation. If he deliberately, intentionally and in an unacceptable way shoves his teammate into A1 it is the same type of play. He's just using a teammate and not the ball.
Old Tue Jan 10, 2017, 02:13pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Yep. But I cannot talk about that as I seem to get into a lot of trouble. I guess there is a little "patch" on my arm that kind of tells me I must know what I am doing ultimately.

But hey, call a T and then go around defending that silly ruling.

Peace
Old Tue Jan 10, 2017, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

But hey, call a T and then go around defending that silly ruling.

Peace
It would be silly if the circumstances werent egregious, bad,blatant. As silly as saying a defender has a right to stand in front of the inbounder...etc.
Old Tue Jan 10, 2017, 02:52pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
It would be silly if the circumstances werent
egregious, bad,blatant.
OK.

Quote:
As silly as saying a defender has a right to stand in front of the inbounder...etc.
BTW, I guess you need to take this up with Rule 7-6-5. Might want to also look at 7.6.5 as well.

Now there is no support for you to give a T to a player that contacts a teammate that contacts and opponent. You either call the foul on that player (which is proper), but you cannot call a T for that unless you have a case play or some interpretation to take it that far. Now I showed rules support for my comments, where is your rules support?

Peace
Old Tue Jan 10, 2017, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
OK.

BTW, I guess you need to take this up with Rule 7-6-5. Might want to also look at 7.6.5 as well.

Now there is no support for you to give a T to a player that contacts a teammate that contacts and opponent. You either call the foul on that player (which is proper), but you cannot call a T for that unless you have a case play or some interpretation to take it that far. Now I showed rules support for my comments, where is your rules support?

Peace
Actually, the thread itself was titled 7-6 and the actual question was about Article 5. The same one you cited above. Your response:

"Also, the defense has the right to stand NEXT to the thrower as
well. That rule kind of addresses that as well. It is the only time
they have a right to a specific space on the floor if they did not
get there first."

Your comments clearly suggested another rule so Bob asked for a reference. I dont think he has received it yet. I guess he has it now.

As for my play, if a player shoves a teammate into an opponent with intent to harm or intent to do something with attitude when he should know harm is likely to come (airborne player), that is a flagrant act. Just as if he fired ball in his face. He, himself, is not contacting the other team's player so it is a "noncontact act" by defintion. It is clearly, however, unacceptable behavior...unsportsmanlike. 4-19-4. If it is flagrant why would we let the player off the hook just because he himself didnt touch the opponent?