The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 23, 2017, 09:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
What's wrong with reading about rules on the Forum? What makes the Forum so different than a book made out of dead trees, or an electronic book? Someday (maybe it's already happening) we may be able to hear answers from the Forum, for those that may not be able to read, or that may be blind. We already can see videos of the plays we talk about when many Forum members have the ability to post such videos.

I received an Amazon Echo Dot for Christmas and it can do amazing things. In the near future I may be able to say, "Alexa. Here's a basketball play. A1 picks up his dribble to pass to A2. A2 doesn't see the pass as they turn away. A1 runs and grabs the errant pass. What NFHS rules, or case plays, apply here, and can you please download a video showing me an example of such a situation?"

Gutenberg died over 500 years ago. He had a nice run, but it's time to move on.
Ask Alexa what she thinks about wearing a belt to referee... or posting from old rule books... Reading about rules on the forum is fine. I told Dcran i was sorry. I do believe reading the rules and case book over and over is necessary. You read all the rules and plays and see how they fit together like a puzzle. Supplementing reading rules and case book with forum is great.

It has nothing to do with dead trees, etc.
Old Mon Jan 23, 2017, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What's wrong with reading about rules on the Forum? What makes the Forum so different than a book made out of dead trees, or an electronic book? [/I]
Getting the answer here will give you the answer to a particular play.

Looking in the book will (or is more likely to) give you the concepts to understand a wider range of similar plays AND to find out something not even related to the current play under discussion.
Old Mon Jan 23, 2017, 05:30pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Thank You Al Gore ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
I do believe reading the rules and case book over and over is necessary.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Looking in the book will give you the concepts to understand a wider range of similar plays AND to find out something not even related to the current play under discussion.
Agree and agree. I have my nose in the rulebook, and the casebook, all the time, but I also found the Forum to be a valuable resource, a resource that wasn't available thirty-plus years ago. You will all note that it is I who often posts the entire rule, or case play, verbatim, when a Forum member answers a question, usually with the title, "Let's Go To The Videotape". The answer alone is not as good if it's not accompanied by a rulebook, or casebook, citation, as well as the rule, or case play, spelled out.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Jan 23, 2017, 05:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Agree and agree. I have my nose in the rulebook, and the casebook, all the time, but I also found the Forum to be a valuable resource, a resource that wasn't available thirty-plus years ago. You will all note that it is I who often posts the entire rule, or case play, verbatim, when a Forum member answers a question, usually with the title, "Let's Go To The Videotape". The answer alone is not as good if it's not accompanied by a rulebook, or casebook, citation, as well as the rule, or case play, spelled out.
What did Alexa say about belts on referees?😃
Old Mon Jan 23, 2017, 05:57pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Maybe Tonight ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
What did Alexa say about belts on referees?��
I haven't asked her yet, but I did ask her to give me a back massage. I'm still waiting for it.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Jan 24, 2017, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
Couldn't find if it was determined whether you were an official or a fan. In case you were a fan, I want to say the answers you have gotten would be appropriate for NFHS and NCAA rule set. However if this was played under NBA rules:

Your play would be a traveling call...it would not matter if the player had his dribble or not.
Interesting - what makes it a travel in the NBA?