LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 07, 2017, 04:11pm
Stubborn Member

Count me among those that say "block".
Old Sun Jan 08, 2017, 05:40pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Yeah but they sure looked bad getting together to discuss quickly -- that even goes beyond "eye contact"
I have no problems with their getting together. As they could have been talking about the RA, which is what you do in those plays. It was so quick it was insignificant to me and what the NCAA talks about doing in these situations.

Peace
Old Sun Jan 08, 2017, 05:43pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahoopref View Post
Another good play for discussion.

P#31 was a secondary defender during OSU#3's outnumbered fastbreak drive to the basket.

IMO, P#31 moved laterally when OSU#3 was airborne and the contact occurred.
If we are talking about how much he moved laterally, than we are talking about an inch or two. He was basically there waiting on the contact. He even took the contact in the chest. I would not at all consider that outside of the movement stated in the rulebook. I am going to give the benefit of the doubt to the defender in this case most of the time. It would be one thing if he slide over a couple of feet, but he is trying to take the contact. The only thing it seems like you would require is for him to be totally still, which is not the requirement for the rule.

Peace
Old Sun Jan 08, 2017, 11:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
If we are talking about how much he moved laterally, than we are talking about an inch or two. He was basically there waiting on the contact. He even took the contact in the chest. I would not at all consider that outside of the movement stated in the rulebook. I am going to give the benefit of the doubt to the defender in this case most of the time. It would be one thing if he slide over a couple of feet, but he is trying to take the contact. The only thing it seems like you would require is for him to be totally still, which is not the requirement for the rule.

Peace
Appreciate the feedback but respectfully disagree.

It's not the only thing I require but I sure would not allow lateral or oblique movement of a secondary defender (even an inch or two) into an airborne shooter, which is indeed stated as a foul in the rulebook.

I was mentored under the old adage of giving the defender the benefit of the doubt and for them to take it in the chest to get that offensive charge call. With the induction of the RA in the college game, you do yourself more harm in keeping with that thought process. The supervisors I work for have instructed their staff to move away from that philosophy and that was a directive given above them. It's taken some time but I'm doing my best to adhere to the change.

We either adapt or get passed by those who do.
Old Sun Jan 08, 2017, 11:19pm
Official Forum Member

And I disagree that he "took it in the chest." White's knee hit Black in the shoulder. If he doesn't slide over more after the offensive player is airborne, the contact is negligible if there is any at all.
Old Sun Jan 08, 2017, 11:20pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahoopref View Post
Appreciate the feedback but respectfully disagree.

It's not the only thing I require but I sure would not allow lateral or oblique movement of a secondary defender (even an inch or two) into an airborne shooter, which is indeed stated as a foul in the rulebook.

I was mentored under the old adage of giving the defender the benefit of the doubt and for them to take it in the chest to get that offensive charge call. With the induction of the RA in the college game, you do yourself more harm in keeping with that thought process. The supervisors I work for have instructed their staff to move away from that philosophy and that was a directive given above them. It's taken some time but I'm doing my best to adhere to the change.

We either adapt or get passed by those who do.
You have every right to disagree. But I think we are splitting hairs if that is lateral movement after the shooter has left the floor. But again this is after all a judgment call. The officials on the game called a foul on the defender. I would hope I would not in this case. And the RA only comes into play if you have them in the RA in the first place, which it does not look like that is the case. But it was asked by the OP to see if that was the case. Also my comment about giving the benefit of not penalizing the defender if they are not "perfect." The shooter could have pulled up. But again that is the philosophy that I live by.

Peace
Old Wed Jan 11, 2017, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yeah but they sure looked bad getting together to discuss quickly -- that even goes beyond "eye contact"
au contraire mon frere...this was EXCELLENT officiating! If these were anything other than top-level D1 officials, this would have been a blarge (in a girls HS game it probably would not have had a whistle - cause the officials wouldn't know who should've blown their whistle). If you think that an official "looks bad"when getting a play called correctly, then it seems as though your priorities are mis-placed.
Old Wed Jan 11, 2017, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twocentsworth View Post
au contraire mon frere...this was EXCELLENT officiating! If these were anything other than top-level D1 officials, this would have been a blarge (in a girls HS game it probably would not have had a whistle - cause the officials wouldn't know who should've blown their whistle). If you think that an official "looks bad"when getting a play called correctly, then it seems as though your priorities are mis-placed.
it was sarcasm -- related to another thread.
Old Wed Jan 11, 2017, 12:01pm
beware big brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by twocentsworth View Post
Considering JD Collins is lamenting the number of blarge calls on televised games by "top-level D1 officials" on one of his recent video posts, this comment is especially ridiculous.
Old Wed Jan 11, 2017, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

Fiba

In the FIBA mechanics, lead takes this play coming to him.

From my view as lead there is only a primary defender. white had no defender guarding him as beat everybody else. B31 stepped up outside RA in legal position and established before shooter was air borne. He took on small step with his right leg sideways as shooter went air borne. Which in my understanding of FIBA rules he is allowed to move and maintain LGP.

I would in FIBA have on offensive foul called from lead.

It is a close play- 2 whistles are OK, coming together and getting what the believe is the right call - too bad they got the wrong call!
Old Wed Jan 11, 2017, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
it was sarcasm -- related to another thread.
Yes, and some of us got it immediately.

I have to be honest. Watching live on full speed I said block. In slow mo I thought PC.

I can live with it either way and the way it was handled here was 100% appropriate for the play.
Old Thu Jan 12, 2017, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

The title of the post has me confused. Isn't this the C's call? Its on his side of the lane, and was in position. If anything, was the L's whistle too quick?

I agree its a block, and since there was a double whistle, don't mind the mini-conference, but wouldn't it be better for them to both hold, and then the C take the call?
Old Thu Jan 12, 2017, 04:44pm
beware big brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgame99 View Post
The title of the post has me confused. Isn't this the C's call? Its on his side of the lane, and was in position. If anything, was the L's whistle too quick?

I agree its a block, and since there was a double whistle, don't mind the mini-conference, but wouldn't it be better for them to both hold, and then the C take the call?
No. In NCAA-M plays in the lane involving secondary defenders are the leads primary responsibility.