The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Purdue-Ohio State block/charge (C's whistle too quick?) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/102052-purdue-ohio-state-block-charge-cs-whistle-too-quick.html)

SC Official Thu Jan 05, 2017 08:50pm

Purdue-Ohio State block/charge (C's whistle too quick?)

3:28 second half. It was called a block and there was a double whistle. I don't believe it was an RA play, and as such I'm not sure what the defender did wrong.

Kansas Ref Thu Jan 05, 2017 09:35pm

I do not know either what defender did wrong? The announcers said something to effect of ''the defender [B1} did not establish [LGP] prior to A1 leaving the floor for the shot". Yet that seemed at best faulty reasoning---if not altogether teleological.

JRutledge Fri Jan 06, 2017 06:37pm

Here is the play.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/pL3xDZayLqM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This needs to be called. I see no reason the C would not make a call on this and IMO this is more his play. So no, I do not feel he is too quick. But they got together. I just feel it was wrong. I do not see what the defender did wrong. He was there before the player left the floor.

Peace

SNIPERBBB Fri Jan 06, 2017 07:02pm

They were probably looking at that left leg dragging over after the initial set.

Camron Rust Fri Jan 06, 2017 07:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB (Post 996580)
They were probably looking at that left leg dragging over after the initial set.

And still sliding over after the shooter left the floor....along with the torso shifting with it. If he hadn't still been moving sideways after the shooter left the floor, the contact may have not occurred or, more likely, not been as substantial. Thus, it was/is a block.

AremRed Sat Jan 07, 2017 07:01am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 996582)
And still sliding over after the shooter left the floor....along with the torso shifting with it. If he hadn't still be moving sideways after the shooter left the floor, the contact may have not occurred or, more likely, not been as substantial. Thus, it was/is a block.

Yup, that's what I have.

rsl Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:50am

Plus, the legs extend well beyond the shoulders and there is
leg contact with the shooter outside the torso. Clear block for me.

bob jenkins Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:06pm

Yeah but they sure looked bad getting together to discuss quickly -- that even goes beyond "eye contact"

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 996578)
Here is the play.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/pL3xDZayLqM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This needs to be called. I see no reason the C would not make a call on this and IMO this is more his play. So no, I do not feel he is too quick. But they got together. I just feel it was wrong. I do not see what the defender did wrong. He was there before the player left the floor.

Peace

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB (Post 996580)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 996582)
And still sliding over after the shooter left the floor....along with the torso shifting with it. If he hadn't still be moving sideways after the shooter left the floor, the contact may have not occurred or, more likely, not been as substantial. Thus, it was/is a block.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 996585)
Yup, that's what I have.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsl (Post 996586)
Plus, the legs extend well beyond the shoulders and there is
leg contact with the shooter outside the torso. Clear block for me.

Jeff and I are on the same page here. Furthermore, all of the Defender's movement after he established a LGP is within his Cylinder of Verticality.

MTD, Sr.

Camron Rust Sat Jan 07, 2017 01:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 996588)
Jeff and I are on the same page here. Furthermore, all of the Defender's movement after he established a LGP is within his Cylinder of Verticality.

MTD, Sr.

Since when is sideways movement considered part of verticality?

dahoopref Sat Jan 07, 2017 01:49pm

Another good play for discussion.

P#31 was a secondary defender during OSU#3's outnumbered fastbreak drive to the basket.

IMO, P#31 moved laterally when OSU#3 was airborne and the contact occurred.

From the 2016-17 NCAA Men's Rulebook:
Quote:

Rule 4, Section 17. Guarding

Art. 6. To maintain a legal guarding position after the initial position has
been established, the guard:

e. May move laterally or obliquely to maintain position provided such a
move is not toward the opponent when contact occurs; Exception: A
secondary defender who has established initial legal guarding position on
an airborne shooter/passer may not move laterally or obliquely to maintain
legal guarding position.
The secondary defender in this position may remain
stationary or may move backwards.

billyu2 Sat Jan 07, 2017 02:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 996587)
Yeah but they sure looked bad getting together to discuss quickly -- that even goes beyond "eye contact"

:D Obviously I'm going to agree with that statement! I was observing a high school BV game in my area the other night and there were at least 4 plays almost identical to this one and each time there wasn't even a double whistle. The C had charge of the play. He knew it, the Lead new it. Beautifully executed.

billyu2 Sat Jan 07, 2017 02:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dahoopref (Post 996590)
Another good play for discussion.

P#31 was a secondary defender during OSU#3's outnumbered fastbreak drive to the basket.

IMO, P#31 moved laterally when OSU#3 was airborne and the contact occurred.

From the 2016-17 NCAA Men's Rulebook:

Question: How,when or at what point would you determine #31 to be the secondary defender? When the video begins, the dribbler has already passed #12 from Purdue just outside of the 3 pt. arc. From that point, it appears the play is just the dribbler vs. #31. Not necessarily questioning your statement. I just am not sure. Could #31 be considered the primary defender in this specific play?

dahoopref Sat Jan 07, 2017 02:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by billyu2 (Post 996592)
Question: How,when or at what point would you determine #31 to be the secondary defender? When the video begins, the dribbler has already passed #12 from Purdue just outside of the 3 pt. arc. From that point, it appears the play is just the dribbler vs. #31. Not necessarily questioning your statement. I just am not sure. Could #31 be considered the primary defender in this specific play?

Good question. If I'm the C in transition, I would have considered P#12 the primary defender who gets passed; P#31 becomes the secondary defender.

BillyMac Sat Jan 07, 2017 03:53pm

Missed It By That Much ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 996588)
Cylinder of Verticality.

Is that anything like the Cone of Silence?

http://thingsthatmadeanimpression.fi...onesilence.jpg