The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 04, 2017, 07:26pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
Jeff has unequivocally said that if a player after contact dumps the ball to a teammate it will always be a pass. That ignores the rule and the reality. As I said, pick a level. Contact can and has made many players in act and intending to shoot, dump. Again, saying a player who ends up dumping is always making a pass is simply wrong. Play 2 is obvious shot. I'll leave it to each here to decide what side they come down on.
It does not ignore the rule, it goes against the interpretation for sure. And I do not know many officials that call a lot of interpretations as written either. When you show me the official that calls a foul on the ball handler/shooter and then calls another foul for a "charge" making it a false double foul, that will be a first as well. But that interpretation is also in the casebook but I have yet to see anyone be that technical. You pick the first foul. So to me if a player wants a shooting foul, act like you are shooting. It is that simple. And play #2 is not an obvious shot. Heck you cannot even see where the foul is honestly. I do not know I would have called a foul. The camera is so far away, I cannot tell what the player was doing. But that is me. That is a play that in a camp I would ask about and have the officials justify his call.

Peace
Old Wed Jan 04, 2017, 07:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
It does not ignore the rule, it goes against the interpretation for sure. And I do not know many officials that call a lot of interpretations as written either. When you show me the official that calls a foul on the ball handler/shooter and then calls another foul for a "charge" making it a false double foul, that will be a first as well. But that interpretation is also in the casebook but I have yet to see anyone be that technical. You pick the first foul. So to me if a player wants a shooting foul, act like you are shooting. It is that simple. And play #2 is not an obvious shot. Heck you cannot even see where the foul is honestly. I do not know I would have called a foul. The camera is so far away, I cannot tell what the player was doing. But that is me. That is a play that in a camp I would ask about and have the officials justify his call.

Peace
It's an obvious foul and an obvious shooting foul. Not even close.
Old Wed Jan 04, 2017, 07:48pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
It's an obvious foul and an obvious shooting foul. Not even close.
The term "Obvious" is often subjective. So you think it is obvious and others do not. So I guess we will just have to disagree. And this call is so insignificant in the bigger picture, I am not going to lose sleep over this or any disagreement about this particular play. It is not like the play decided the game. And I doubt the coaches lost any sleep over it as well, either way.

Peace
Old Wed Jan 04, 2017, 07:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The term "Obvious" is often subjective. So you think it is obvious and others do not. So I guess we will just have to disagree. And this call is so insignificant in the bigger picture, I am not going to lose sleep over this or any disagreement about this particular play. It is not like the play decided the game. And I doubt the coaches lost any sleep over it as well, either way.

Peace
It was an obvious foul and an obvious shooting foul. Not even close.
Old Wed Jan 04, 2017, 07:57pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
And I do not agree with you. So what now? And others in this thread do not seem to agree with you. So now what?

Peace
Old Wed Jan 04, 2017, 07:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
And I do not agree with you. So what now? And others in this thread do not seem to agree with you. So now what?

Peace
Old Wed Jan 04, 2017, 08:00pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
You can keep repeating this, it does not make it so. I do not even know who the foul was on and I do not think it is at all obvious from our angle. Now what?

Peace
Old Wed Jan 04, 2017, 08:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You can keep repeating this, it does not make it so. I do not even know who the foul was on and I do not think it is at all obvious from our angle. Now what?

Peace
It was an obvious foul and obvious shooting foul. Not even close. My repeating it doesn't make it so. It is so because it is so. Not from anything I've said.
Old Wed Jan 04, 2017, 08:06pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
It was an obvious foul and obvious shooting foul. Not even close. My repeating it doesn't make it so. It is so because it is so. Not from anything I've said.

Peace
Old Wed Jan 04, 2017, 08:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
See above
Old Wed Jan 04, 2017, 08:13pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
See above

Peace
Old Wed Jan 04, 2017, 08:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Peace
It is so because it is so. Not because I said it was so. I give up. I'll stop. We'll let others make their decision.

Last edited by BigCat; Wed Jan 04, 2017 at 08:22pm.
Old Wed Jan 04, 2017, 08:22pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
It is so because it is so. Not because I said it was so.
That is very arrogant to say, because you say so. But again, I disagree. Now what?

Peace
Old Wed Jan 04, 2017, 08:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That is very arrogant to say, because you say so. But again, I disagree. Now what?

Peace
It would be arrogant if I said it is so "because I said so." I didn't say that. I specifically said it isn't so because I said so. it is so because it is so. I will let others decide what they feel is or isn't so...
Old Wed Jan 04, 2017, 08:32pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
It would be arrogant if I said it is so "because I said so." I didn't say that. I specifically said it isn't so because I said so. it is so because it is so. I will let others decide what they feel is or isn't so...
And I do not care what others decide. I was not asking for a vote. I know what I am going to do and you are making this like other things, very complicated. It is not that hard. It is a play where an official has to make a judgment. Just like the Kansas game last night, there was a judgment made. That play was more obvious. This play shows a player jumping, but passing. Again, I do not know when or who fouled him as there were 2 players there. And still, I am giving a pass if I blew the whistle. And I might tell my partner what I saw. But again, they are big boys, they can decide for themselves what they should call.

Peace
Closed Thread