The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 04, 2017, 01:06am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to justacoach Send a message via AIM to justacoach Send a message via Yahoo to justacoach Send a message via Skype™ to justacoach
Except if

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmie24 View Post
Does Rule 1-2-2 help you: "If, on an unofficial court, there is less than 3 feet of unobstructed space outside any sideline or end line, a narrow broken line shall be marked on the court parallel with and 3 feet inside that boundary. This restraining line becomes the boundary line during a throw-in on that side or end, as in 7-6. It continues to be the boundary until the ball crosses the line."
Also 7-6-4: ART. 4

The opponent(s) of the thrower shall not have any part of his/her person through the inbounds side of the throw-in boundary plane until the ball has been released on a throw-in pass. See 9-2-10 Penalty.

NOTE: The thrower shall have a minimum of 3 feet horizontally as in 1-2-2. If the court is not marked accordingly, an imaginary restraining line shall be imposed by the *administering *official.
I seem to recall an exception to this 'imaginary restraining line', If players(s) of the inbounding team penetrate this 3 foot area that the defense is released from its limitation and can move to guard the player, with no penalty.
I am further torturing myself to recall if this leniency applied to 'spot' throwins or only to 'run the endline' situations.

Or it could be just a figment of my overhyped imagination.

Help me out Billy Mac, MTD Sr., Nevada!!!
Old Wed Jan 04, 2017, 03:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justacoach View Post
I seem to recall an exception to this 'imaginary restraining line', If players(s) of the inbounding team penetrate this 3 foot area that the defense is released from its limitation and can move to guard the player, with no penalty.
I am further torturing myself to recall if this leniency applied to 'spot' throwins or only to 'run the endline' situations.

Or it could be just a figment of my overhyped imagination.

Help me out Billy Mac, MTD Sr., Nevada!!!
If teammates of the inbounding team cross the line on a spot throwin, it is a violation just like the boundary of a typical throwin.

If the teammates of the inbounding team cross the line (temporary or not) on a throwin after a score, the defensive team may not follow or they have violated.
Old Wed Jan 04, 2017, 03:26am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to justacoach Send a message via AIM to justacoach Send a message via Yahoo to justacoach Send a message via Skype™ to justacoach
Cam, my swiss cheese memory pushes me to doubt your assertion. Maybe revelation lies in the casebook, which I am too lazy to peruse. Chapter 7 or thereabouts.

Got motivated and searched. In CB from 2010-2011 in 7.6.4 sit D. 2016-2017 ymmv.

Kudos to Bigcat for earlier post re 7.6.4C

7.6.4 SITUATION D: The sideline is very near the spectators leaving little space
out of bounds for A1 to make a throw-in. As a result, the administering official
has directed B1 to move back a step to give the thrower some room: (a) as soon
as the ball is handed or bounced to A1, B1 moves right back to the boundary line
in front of A1; or (b) A1 attempts to complete the throw-in just inside the bound-
ary line and B1 moves to his/her original position in order to defend. RULING: In
(a), it is a violation by B1 and will also result in a warning for Team B which is
reported to the scorer and to the head coach. Any subsequent delay-of-game sit-
uation or noncompliance with the verbal order will result in a technical foul
charged to Team B. In (b), B1 is expected to stay back one step unless the throw-
in is attempted between this area and the boundary line. No violation in this case
as B1 is allowed to defend the area if the throw-in is attempted there. (10-1-5c)

Last edited by justacoach; Wed Jan 04, 2017 at 03:38am.
Old Wed Jan 04, 2017, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justacoach View Post
Cam, my swiss cheese memory pushes me to doubt your assertion. Maybe revelation lies in the casebook, which I am too lazy to peruse. Chapter 7 or thereabouts.

Got motivated and searched. In CB from 2010-2011 in 7.6.4 sit D. 2016-2017 ymmv.

Kudos to Bigcat for earlier post re 7.6.4C

7.6.4 SITUATION D: The sideline is very near the spectators leaving little space
out of bounds for A1 to make a throw-in. As a result, the administering official
has directed B1 to move back a step to give the thrower some room: (a) as soon
as the ball is handed or bounced to A1, B1 moves right back to the boundary line
in front of A1; or (b) A1 attempts to complete the throw-in just inside the bound-
ary line and B1 moves to his/her original position in order to defend. RULING: In
(a), it is a violation by B1 and will also result in a warning for Team B which is
reported to the scorer and to the head coach. Any subsequent delay-of-game sit-
uation or noncompliance with the verbal order will result in a technical foul
charged to Team B. In (b), B1 is expected to stay back one step unless the throw-
in is attempted between this area and the boundary line. No violation in this case
as B1 is allowed to defend the area if the throw-in is attempted there. (10-1-5c)
Not sure why the rules on the offensive team are suspended when the rule declaring the line indicates it is the boundary line until the ball crosses it and doesn't otherwise treat it any differently than a normal boundary line.

Is (b) referring to the original boundary line or the temporary line. It seems, in context, to be referring to the original lines.

Inconsistent at best.
Old Wed Jan 04, 2017, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Not sure why the rules on the offensive team are suspended when the rule declaring the line indicates it is the boundary line until the ball crosses it and doesn't otherwise treat it any differently than a normal boundary line.

Is (b) referring to the original boundary line or the temporary line. It seems, in context, to be referring to the original lines.

Inconsistent at best.
This play doesn't involve a restraining line that is actually on the floor. It is just a regular sideline. If there isn't much room we can move back the defender. Tell him get back two feet.

If there was actually a visible restraining line that is when the rule you cite comes in to play. The offense would not be allowed to catch within the restraining line. it is the boundary for all until ball crosses it.