The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 18, 2016, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Team B is assessed a T. Coach A doesn't (after being asked) name a shooter.

Do you asses Coach A with a direct T? Ask the Captain? Assess Captain A with a T? Assess a Team T? Other? Reference?

(I'd vote for option A, but I don't know if there's something specific I'm missing)
It's not following a timeout and its not a throw in so resumption of play procedure isnt used. Direct T to coach. I dont see this happening. (Call a T on B and A refuses to give me a shooter.)

Last edited by BigCat; Sun Dec 18, 2016 at 11:55am. Reason: It could happen
Old Sun Dec 18, 2016, 11:48am
Esteemed Forum Member

Thanks BigCat ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
You need to get a current rule book. 8-1-2 says it is a "team technical."
That is why...it is a team technical. You have not quoted the current 8-1-2. Yours is an older version.
Pick a prize from the top shelf.

Thanks for your due diligence. I was too lazy to get my current book (printed on dead trees) in my bag in another room. My digital version, on my computer, is a few years old.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Dec 18, 2016, 11:50am
Esteemed Forum Member

Code Of Conduct ...

Quote:
(Call a T on B and A refuses to give me a shooter.)
Will never happen. Coaches will never act like a..holes. Never, ever.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Dec 18, 2016 at 11:52am.
Old Sun Dec 18, 2016, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Pick a prize from the top shelf.

Thanks for your due diligence. I was too lazy to get my current book (printed on dead trees) in my bag in another room. My digital version, on my computer, is a few years old.
You can buy another one for $6 and have it on your phone...unless your phone is rotary dialed...
Old Sun Dec 18, 2016, 11:57am
Esteemed Forum Member

They Still Sell These ...

Quote:
You can buy another one for $6 and have it on your phone...unless your phone is rotary dialed...
Close, it's a flip phone.

I don't get a signal at work (basement, lots of electronics), and I get a poor signal at home, (mountain between me and the cell tower, I only get a weak signal by my second floor bedroom window). I just use my flip phone in the car on my daily commute.

Old Sun Dec 18, 2016, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Close, it's a flip phone.

I just use my flip phone in the car on my daily commute.
That is illegal in Connecticut....without a hands free device. Do they make hands free devices for your dinosaur phone??

Last edited by BigCat; Sun Dec 18, 2016 at 12:06pm.
Old Sun Dec 18, 2016, 12:04pm
Esteemed Forum Member

True Story ...

Quote:
... unless your phone is rotary dialed...
About fifteen years ago, before I retired from teaching, I was supervising a group of student volunteers at a bloodmobile at the local Moose Lodge. One student asked to use the phone, that was located in another room. The student came back stating that he didn't know how to use the phone. It was a rotary phone.

Old Sun Dec 18, 2016, 12:06pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Are You A Cop, You Have To Tell Me If You Are ...

Quote:
That is illegal in Connecticut....
Correct. Hands free blue tooth speaker on my sun visor.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Dec 18, 2016 at 12:09pm.
Old Sun Dec 18, 2016, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It's not following a timeout and its not a throw in so resumption of play procedure isnt used. Direct T to coach. I dont see this happening. (Call a T on B and A refuses to give me a shooter.)
What if after the T there is a TO? Does that change your answer? (I can see A staying n the huddle, perhaps, on this one).
Old Sun Dec 18, 2016, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
What if after the T there is a TO? Does that change your answer? (I can see A staying n the huddle, perhaps, on this one).
Yes, resumption of play is used after TO.
Old Mon Dec 19, 2016, 03:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
4-19-3.
Yes, I know it is defined. But, that is the end of it. None of the sub-parts of that rule apply during a dead ball. They either explicitly mention live ball or are in relation to a play (which also doesn't happen during a dead ball). It lists no examples of acts that occur during a dead ball. We all take it to be excessive contact during a dead ball, but why does it explicitly mention live ball if that is the case?

I think the implication in the rules is that you call a simple technical foul when contact occurs that would have been an intentional foul during a live ball. There is never a case where you need to call an intentional technical as it means absolutely nothing.

That explanation fits the question.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Mon Dec 19, 2016 at 03:05am.
Old Mon Dec 19, 2016, 10:12am
Get away from me, Steve.

It's a poor question. We refer to it as an intentional technical, the definitions do as well.
Old Mon Dec 19, 2016, 11:53am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Yes, I know it is defined. But, that is the end of it. None of the sub-parts of that rule apply during a dead ball. They either explicitly mention live ball or are in relation to a play (which also doesn't happen during a dead ball). It lists no examples of acts that occur during a dead ball. We all take it to be excessive contact during a dead ball, but why does it explicitly mention live ball if that is the case?

I think the implication in the rules is that you call a simple technical foul when contact occurs that would have been an intentional foul during a live ball. There is never a case where you need to call an intentional technical as it means absolutely nothing.

That explanation fits the question.
Your logic, while sound, doesn't make this a better question. We constantly tell newer officials not to read too much into the questions on the test. Hell, that's normally a good test taking strategy in any situation (I just took a state licensing test and that was the biggest advice I was given during the preparation for the test).

This question, however, demands that you read a lot into it that's not there. I'd be curious to see which answer the NFHS deems correct.
Old Mon Dec 19, 2016, 11:56am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Your logic, while sound, doesn't make this a better question. We constantly tell newer officials not to read too much into the questions on the test. Hell, that's normally a good test taking strategy in any situation (I just took a state licensing test and that was the biggest advice I was given during the preparation for the test).

This question, however, demands that you read a lot into it that's not there. I'd be curious to see which answer the NFHS deems correct.
The answer follows Cameron's logic, however it doesn't make the question any better.