The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 10, 2016, 11:23am
M.A.S.H.

End of Half - Foul and Technical

Greetings everyone... certainly been a little while since I've been here.

I've been off the floor for two years now so I don't have recent case books.

Discussion last night was this (I'm told it's directly out of the case book but can't verify. Additionally, I've having a hard time believing the ruling - but it's possible it's true):

A1 is fouled by B6 as time expires (2 point try) in the 2nd quarter. B's head coach is upset with the call and decides to show his disappointment by taking his team to the locker room. A technical foul is called on B's head coach.

How do we proceed?

Hope everyone has a great Christmas with family and safe travels during their tournament games. I'm hoping to get back on the floor next year!
Old Sat Dec 10, 2016, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1 View Post
Greetings everyone... certainly been a little while since I've been here.

I've been off the floor for two years now so I don't have recent case books.

Discussion last night was this (I'm told it's directly out of the case book but can't verify. Additionally, I've having a hard time believing the ruling - but it's possible it's true):

A1 is fouled by B6 as time expires (2 point try) in the 2nd quarter. B's head coach is upset with the call and decides to show his disappointment by taking his team to the locker room. A technical foul is called on B's head coach.

How do we proceed?

Hope everyone has a great Christmas with family and safe travels during their tournament games. I'm hoping to get back on the floor next year!
The second quarter is not over until all activity is finished. If nothing else happened the second qtr would be over after A1 second FT for the shooting foul. The technical on coach B occurred before the second qtr ended. A gets 2 more FTs for that technical.

No part of a penalty carries over from one qtr to the next. The third qtr will start as usual, with the arrow.

Had coach B gotten the T after A1 second FT for the foul it would have occurred after 2nd qtr ended. #rd qtr is started with two FTS for the T and A gets ball inbounds for the T. Arrow is not affected.
Old Sat Dec 10, 2016, 11:31am
Stubborn Member

I'll take a stab at this without going through my rule book.

1. With the lane cleared, shoot the two free throws for the foul on A1 during his shot.

2. With the lane cleared, shoot the two free throws for the technical foul on Team B's coach.

3. I'm assuming the clock is at zero, and since no penalty can carry over into another quarter/half, Team A being given possession as part of the technical foul is ignored.
Old Sat Dec 10, 2016, 11:35am
Stubborn Member

Two things I should have added...

1. BigCat's point about when the technical foul occurred. I knew I wouldn't get it 100%.

2. Did the official make an effort to keep the coach and his team on the court until the FTs for the shooting foul were administered? I mean, did the official say something like "coach, the quarter/half is not over with, you must stay on the court"? This isn't a well-known rule, so I'd make sure the coach understood before leaving the court and getting a tech.
Old Sun Dec 11, 2016, 09:38pm
M.A.S.H.

Perhaps I should of stated it a little better.

Supposedly there is a direct case play that covers this situation. My answer was how BigCat answered; however, the other side of the argument stated it was different in the case book.

My contention was if it was the way he stated it would contradict other rules (not that they haven't done that before ).
Old Sun Dec 11, 2016, 10:02pm
Official Forum Member

I am not aware of any case play stating other than what BigCat wrote.

Hope you are able to return to officiating.
Old Sun Dec 11, 2016, 10:07pm
Official Forum Member

10.6.5 SITUATION A:

Airborne shooter A1 is fouled by B1 after the ball is released on the try. Playing time for the second quarter expires while the unsuccessful try is in flight. Since no players are required to line up for the free throws, Team B's head coach takes the team to the locker room to begin the intermission.

RULING: Team B's head coach is assessed a direct technical foul for permitting team members to leave the bench/court for an unauthorized reason. Even though no time remains on the game clock, the quarter doesn't end until A1's free throws are completed; therefore, the technical foul is part of the second quarter. A1 will attempt the two shooting-foul free throws followed by any Team A member attempting the two free throws for the technical foul. The Team B head coach has lost coaching-box privileges for the remainder of the game. The third quarter will begin with the alternating-possession procedure. (5-6-2 Exception 3)
Old Sun Dec 11, 2016, 10:11pm
Official Forum Member

10.6.5A is the exact case play....it's how I stated above. Qtrs don't end until all activity completed...etc and no penalty carries over.

(What sniper said)
Old Sun Dec 11, 2016, 11:30pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1 View Post
Perhaps I should of stated it a little better.

Supposedly there is a direct case play that covers this situation. My answer was how BigCat answered; however, the other side of the argument stated it was different in the case book.

My contention was if it was the way he stated it would contradict other rules (not that they haven't done that before ).
The responsibility is on the party claiming that there's a case play to back up any other rulings.

That person won't be able to fulfill that duty.
Old Sat Dec 17, 2016, 03:15pm
M.A.S.H.

Bingo... ole TJ got this one right! Still got it...

Hope to attend some camps this summer with the hopes of returning to the floor next season.
Old Sat Dec 17, 2016, 03:49pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Recently, I called a technical foul on a head coach who just couldn't let go of an illegal screen I called on his daughter to free up a 3 point shot with about a second left in the half.

The technical came after the half ended, however, which is different than this situation.
Old Sat Dec 17, 2016, 11:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Recently, I called a technical foul on a head coach who just couldn't let go of an illegal screen I called on his daughter to free up a 3 point shot with about a second left in the half.

The technical came after the half ended, however, which is different than this situation.

Had one like that in my first game last season. Opponent would have the arrow to start the second half. So when we started the next half with FTs and the ball, and the coach suddenly realized his opponent would keep the arrow to boot, he questioned me. I just yelled across the floor and said, "Coach, that's how this works." He was half mad, half ashamed of himself that the timing of his temper problem had a triple whammy effect penalty wise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Sun Dec 18, 2016, 01:11pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post

Indeed!