The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 06, 2016, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Pre-game warm ups

14:00 left until tip off. Home Team A is warming up. Visiting Team B runs out of their locker room and jogs around the court 1 time to start their warm ups and proceeds to their half of the court.

I know this should be prevented from happening, but if not stopped in time, is there a penalty for this?
Old Tue Dec 06, 2016, 12:44pm
Do not give a damn!!

Yes this is a T if you observe it and your jurisdiction makes this clear this is not supposed to take place. It is expressed in our state to prevent this by going to where the teams enter and make sure they do not run around or go under the opponents basket and go directly to their area of the court. It is usually easily preventable if you are out on the court at the proper time. Again I would follow the standards of your area first. This is not as clearly stated in the rulebook other than being on the right side of the court (I do not have the rulebook in front of me right now).

Peace
Old Tue Dec 06, 2016, 12:46pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewPV View Post
14:00 left until tip off. Home Team A is warming up. Visiting Team B runs out of their locker room and jogs around the court 1 time to start their warm ups and proceeds to their half of the court.

I know this should be prevented from happening, but if not stopped in time, is there a penalty for this?
There was an interpretation about this from a bunch of years ago, but I could not find it in the archive. My philosophy has become "if it isn't in the current rule or case book, don't enforce it".
Old Tue Dec 06, 2016, 01:04pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
There was an interpretation about this from a bunch of years ago, but I could not find it in the archive. My philosophy has become "if it isn't in the current rule or case book, don't enforce it".

AremRed:

I doubt that you will that you find this situation in the NFHS Rules Book from any particular year but it falls under the taunting section of Rule 10.

Regarding Casebook Plays. You would be incorrect in not enforcing a Casebook Play Ruling just because it is not in the current Casebook. Once a Casebook Play Ruling is issued it remains in effect until the Rule is changed such that the rule change changes the Casebook Play Ruling. Casebook Play Rulings are the same as Supreme Court rulings: They are the law of the land until the law is changed.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Dec 06, 2016, 01:13pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
There was an interpretation about this from a bunch of years ago, but I could not find it in the archive.
It was a POE in the 2010-2011 season I believe.
Old Tue Dec 06, 2016, 01:39pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
It was a POE in the 2010-2011 season I believe.
...which was before I started officiating. Am I expected to know all these POE from before I started reffing?

I happen to know that POE because I am on this Forum, no other reason. If the NFHS was so dead-set on this being 100% a technical for taunting, every time, then perhaps they should add it to the current year rules/case book so I can know for sure. I believe I'm on shaky ground when I start calling stuff based on what the rule book said 6 years ago.
Old Tue Dec 06, 2016, 01:43pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
AremRed:

I doubt that you will that you find this situation in the NFHS Rules Book from any particular year but it falls under the taunting section of Rule 10.

Regarding Casebook Plays. You would be incorrect in not enforcing a Casebook Play Ruling just because it is not in the current Casebook. Once a Casebook Play Ruling is issued it remains in effect until the Rule is changed such that the rule change changes the Casebook Play Ruling. Casebook Play Rulings are the same as Supreme Court rulings: They are the law of the land until the law is changed.
I get that Mark, but because there is no current rule/case play/anything written in the most current book where I can go read it, doesn't that make what constitutes taunting in my judgement as an official?

As I responded to Welpe above, how am I expected to know that the NFHS 6 years ago said this is taunting if they never keep it in the current rule book??
Old Tue Dec 06, 2016, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
...which was before I started officiating. Am I expected to know all these POE from before I started reffing?
I wouldn't expect you to know that off the bat, but I would hope that over time you'd work to educate yourself about these kinds of things. If I was your partner, I'd probably explain this to you when the situation came up, and hope that you'd put it under your hat and be aware of it in the future.
Old Tue Dec 06, 2016, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

Its considered unsportsmanlike conduct. Are you sure it was 10-11' it seems to me to be longer than that when that came out.
Old Tue Dec 06, 2016, 02:04pm
This IS My Social Life

2010,11 poe #2

SPORTING BEHAVIOR: Teams entering the gymnasium prior to the contest should not run through the area occupied by the opposing team or under the basket where opponents are warming up. Teams should only enter, job and warm up on their half of the court. Gatherings intended to motivate a team after the warm-up period, during or following player introductions and post-game celebrations should be performed in the area directly in front of the team bench. If during the pre-game or half-time warm-up period one team leaves the floor, the other team may not use the entire court; teams may only warm up on their half of the court. Only authorized personnel (cheerleaders, athletic trainers, managers, administrators, etc.) should be permitted on the floor; all spectators should be in designated areas.
Old Tue Dec 06, 2016, 02:06pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB View Post
Its considered unsportsmanlike conduct. Are you sure it was 10-11' it seems to me to be longer than that when that came out.
Fairly certain it was as I started in 2009-2010 and I know it wasn't a POE that year and we discussed it in our meetings.
Old Tue Dec 06, 2016, 03:14pm
Administrator

Quote:
I get that Mark, but because there is no current rule/case play/anything written in the most current book where I can go read it, doesn't that make what constitutes taunting in my judgement as an official?

As I responded to Welpe above, how am I expected to know that the NFHS 6 years ago said this is taunting if they never keep it in the current rule book??

AremRed:

You took the first step by registering with Officiating.com. That way you get the benefit of asking historians of the rules like a bald old geezer like me.

I started officiating basketball in 1971. I have officiated boys'/girls' H.S. since 1971. Until either 1978, boys'/girls' H.S. and men's college basketball was played under the National Basketball Committee of the United States and Canada. In 1978 that Committee split into the NFHS and NCAA Men's committees. I officiated women's college basketball from 1974 to 2008. Until 1984 women's college basketball was played under the National Assn. of Girls' and Women's in Sports Rules, and under the NCAA Women's Rules Committee since then. I also officiated men's jr. college and college JV from 1993 to 2008. And was a USA Basketball Referee (FIBA Rules) from 1993 to 2003.

I have been a rules interpreter and have sat on IAABO National Committees and have one friend who officiated in the NBA and two that have officiated in the WNBA. I have been fortunate to have been able to know some of the finest rules people in the sport and have tried to pass forward the history of the rules that I learned from them. It was in my blood from the very beginning that I would be a historian for the rules.

I wish that the NFHS and the NCAA would create a free online data base of the Rules Books, Casebooks, Rules Interpretations, Approved Rulings, Officials Manuals and CCA Manuals. It was be a great contribution to basketball officiating education.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Dec 06, 2016, 04:19pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes View Post
I wouldn't expect you to know that off the bat, but I would hope that over time you'd work to educate yourself about these kinds of things. If I was your partner, I'd probably explain this to you when the situation came up, and hope that you'd put it under your hat and be aware of it in the future.
Ok, so how far back do I have to go? And how do I explain how this is tainting to a coach without it being written in the case book??
Old Tue Dec 06, 2016, 04:30pm
Official Forum Member

Not everything that is unsportsmanlike can be in the books and what you can do.

This arose from some fighting issues amongst rival schools. In Kentucky at one point they banned the post game handshakes.
Old Tue Dec 06, 2016, 05:23pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Center Circle Antics ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
... during or following player introductions ... celebrations should be performed in the area directly in front of the team bench ...
Here in Connecticut, we had visiting teams spitting on the center circle logo/mascot. Now we strictly enforce this rule, if either team starts to congregate in the center circle, we wave them off.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)