The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 05, 2016, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I never blow my whistle when resuming on a free throw. I find that, well, weird.
I got dinged on it for not blowing my whistle in my floor exam. Done it ever since and switched states and still no one has never said not too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Old Mon Dec 05, 2016, 04:47pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosie74 View Post
I got dinged on it for not blowing my whistle in my floor exam. Done it ever since and switched states and still no one has never said not too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Both IAABO states? I've never lived in an IAABO state.
Old Mon Dec 05, 2016, 05:57pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Smart Players ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgame99 View Post
I let the players assume their positions, and as I'm walking to the center I check with partners to make sure they are good to go, check with table to make sure they are ready to go, say "here we go", blow the whistle, bounce once, and toss. Pointing seems hokey to me.
OK, so you don't point, I've got no problem with that.

Nowhere in your post do you state that you check to see that the players are going in the right direction. You must be officiating some pretty smart players in don't have to check and you never run into problems, especially if you get to overtime.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Dec 05, 2016, 06:07pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by IncorrectCall View Post
What's the point in pointing?
I think it's to bolster synergy.
Old Mon Dec 05, 2016, 06:08pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
OK, so you don't point, I've got no problem with that.

Nowhere in your post do you state that you check to see that the players are going in the right direction. You must be officiating some pretty smart players in don't have to check and you never run into problems, especially if you get to overtime.
Pointing is going to do far less to prevent problems than ensuring the jumpers are each on the correct side. In all honesty, that's why I point, for myself. The kids aren't listening, so it's not for their benefit. My partners aren't paying attention to that, so it's not for them. The table.... please.

No, the only benefit that comes from it is that it's an audible reminder to myself to double check the positioning of the jumpers.
Old Mon Dec 05, 2016, 06:12pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Pointing is going to do far less to prevent problems than ensuring the jumpers are each on the correct side. In all honesty, that's why I point, for myself. The kids aren't listening, so it's not for their benefit. My partners aren't paying attention to that, so it's not for them. The table.... please.

No, the only benefit that comes from it is that it's an audible reminder to myself to double check the positioning of the jumpers.
This is actually why I do it and do not see myself stopping anytime soon.

Peace
Old Mon Dec 05, 2016, 06:51pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Pointing Is For Me ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
In all honesty, that's why I point, for myself. The kids aren't listening, so it's not for their benefit. My partners aren't paying attention to that, so it's not for them ... the only benefit that comes from it is that it's an audible reminder to myself to double check the positioning of the jumpers.
I couldn't have said it better myself.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Dec 06, 2016, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosie74 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Both IAABO states? I've never lived in an IAABO state.
For your sake, I hope you never do. With due regard to those who are stuck under IAABO's influence with no say in their fate, I find the organization to be a meaningless redundancy to other rightfully established organizations that are recognized authorities (namely NFHS and FIBA).

Billy had a post earlier in which he mentioned a group called "IAABO International." That's as self-aggrandizing as the term "World Series." IAABO's footprint is limited to the east coast, Colorado, Ontario, and a handful of overseas U.S. military installations.