The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 27, 2009, 08:45pm
Official Forum Member

pointing on strikes?

I know ASA requires hammer for all strikes but I know FED, PONY, LL don't really care so much. Does anyone use the point for strikes in non-ASA ball? I also do baseball, and I prefer the point much more than the hammer and i'll use the hammer for strikes only when I absolutely have to. In non-ASA ball, I compromise a bit and use the hammer for called strikes and point for swinging strikes. I really think that strikes should all be pointed with and the hammer should be reserved for outs and only outs. We all remember the Doug Eddings hammer ambiguity right? and I just point to one side without turning my head...
Old Mon Apr 27, 2009, 08:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to argodad
Quote:
Originally Posted by bniu View Post
I know ASA requires hammer for all strikes but I know FED, PONY, LL don't really care so much. Does anyone use the point for strikes in non-ASA ball? I also do baseball, and I prefer the point much more than the hammer and i'll use the hammer for strikes only when I absolutely have to. In non-ASA ball, I compromise a bit and use the hammer for called strikes and point for swinging strikes. I really think that strikes should all be pointed with and the hammer should be reserved for outs and only outs. We all remember the Doug Eddings hammer ambiguity right? and I just point to one side without turning my head...
If you point you are just pointing out the fact that you're a little ball umpire. Coaches will conclude that you don't really know the game / rules of softball.
Old Mon Apr 27, 2009, 09:16pm
Official Forum Member

For NFHS mechanics training this March, we used the ASA Umpires Mechanics DVD.

The only thing we were told that differs is the between inning locations of the umpires. And NFHS allows a called strike to be verbalized in either the set or upright positions.

Ted
Old Mon Apr 27, 2009, 09:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I also do baseball...
I thought most b-ballers were going to the hammer, too. Seems like a lot on TV do.

When I did BB and SB, I would point in BB and hammer in SB. I've only been doing SB, mostly FED, for a few years now.
Old Mon Apr 27, 2009, 09:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Who the hell is Doug Eddings?

Baseball mechanics seem to be more about showmanship than practicalities.

The purpose for signals is to inform those at a distance, not to do something which looks "cool". The defense always used is "individuality". And to do that, many little ball umpires make disparaging references about softball umpires and robotics. That only means they don't pay attention.
Old Mon Apr 27, 2009, 10:36pm
Official Forum Member

I honestly think the "point" looks stupid. I'm always looking over at the home team dugout wondering who the umpire is pointing at. A hammer or any variation of it looks best to me but that's only my opinion.
Old Mon Apr 27, 2009, 11:18pm
Official Forum Member

I do both baseball and softball and use the hammer for both. To me the pont just looks plain stupid.
Old Mon Apr 27, 2009, 11:53pm
Official Forum Member

Last year at the end of fall ball I blew out my rotator cuff playing coed and I used the point in ASA ball... they wanted me to call left handed.. but I didnt. I pointed because I couldnt raise my arm up. No one noticed or cared. But this is one of them "do as your told" things for softball. Anyway, I suppose I could use it in mens FP but I dont.
Old Tue Apr 28, 2009, 12:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Who the hell is Doug Eddings?

Baseball mechanics seem to be more about showmanship than practicalities.

The purpose for signals is to inform those at a distance, not to do something which looks "cool". The defense always used is "individuality". And to do that, many little ball umpires make disparaging references about softball umpires and robotics. That only means they don't pay attention.
hmm, i'm kinda curious, now what if the next incarnation of Ron Luciano and Durwood Merrill took over ASA? The two most flamboyant umpires in baseball governing softball, a sport known for its robotic signals...

sometimes i think about "shooting" a runner out just to see what kind of reaction I'll get, though I don't want to risk losing future game assignments for doing it. Maybe I'll try it at my high school's preseason alumni scrimmage next year...since i won't be allowed to umpire their real games anyway due to a conflict of interest....
Old Tue Apr 28, 2009, 12:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
hmm, i'm kinda curious, now what if the next incarnation of Ron Luciano and Durwood Merrill took over ASA? The two most flamboyant umpires in baseball governing softball, a sport known for its robotic signals...

sometimes i think about "shooting" a runner out just to see what kind of reaction I'll get, though I don't want to risk losing future game assignments for doing it. Maybe I'll try it at my high school's preseason alumni scrimmage next year...since i won't be allowed to umpire their real games anyway due to a conflict of interest....
Ha, we were talking about shooting out a runner Luciano style this weekend..likewise, we didnt have the gonads to do it though
Old Tue Apr 28, 2009, 01:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem View Post
Ha, we were talking about shooting out a runner Luciano style this weekend..likewise, we didnt have the gonads to do it though
I shoot a runner about twice a month just to do it...so ball up and just do it. (Yes I know I am crazy...)

Also, if we have a Canadian team I will call an out in Canadian eh.
Old Tue Apr 28, 2009, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbjones View Post
I shoot a runner about twice a month just to do it...so ball up and just do it. (Yes I know I am crazy...)

Also, if we have a Canadian team I will call an out in Canadian eh.
Maybe mens FP... I dunno about shooting em in JO...

Fun to talk about though

Besides I believe Luciano style would be like outoutoutoutoutoutoutoutout outoutoutoutoutoutotuotuo

You doing that to them canucks?
Old Tue Apr 28, 2009, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Here we go, another ******* who hasn't got a clue. You are obviously too young to know the real umpires of baseball. AFA flamboyant, Dutch Rennart made those two look like clowns on the field. Durwood wasn't that bad. Luciano thought he was being entertaining while the players laughed "at" him. Luciano would probably think that a line like, "His best shot was his last" would be funny, but he chose cabon monoxide instead.

Quote:
As previously stated, showmanship, just like P.T. Barnum and Tom Thumb.
Old Tue Apr 28, 2009, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
...but I know FED, PONY, LL don't really care so much.

Unless this is some other FED of which I am unaware (and believe me, with the alphabet soups that keep appearing every year, this is possible), NFHS is very clear on the mechanics they want their umpires to use. Pointing is not an option. Read the NFHS Umpire's Manual if you wish to see the proper mechanic, just don't assume because Joe Suchandsuch has done NFHS ball for a long time, and he uses it, it is an okay mechanic with NFHS.

The correct mechanic as per NFHS is given in minute detail on page 24 of the manual. Step 4 of calling the strike states, and I quote, "Raise your right hand to 90 degree 'hammer' position. The hammer should be made with the forearm and the upper arm forming a 90-degree right angle with the elbow slightly forward and the fist facing your ear. With your peripheral vision , you should be able to see your elbow out of the corner of your eye." I see no mention on this page of this being an optional mechanic.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Tue Apr 28, 2009, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Do you really feel the need to be that much a part of the game? The point of being an umpire in both baseball and softball, is to administer the rules and otherwise be as unnoticed as possible. It is the players' game. Not a forum for wanna be vaudevillians to ply their craft.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.