The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 03, 2016, 10:40am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
I will continue to happily emulate the actions of those who have risen to a level higher than I. With exceptions, of course (mechanics differences, decidedly bad actors, etc.), but in general this practice has served me well not only in basketball officiating but in other facets of life, too. Not sure why some on this forum are always so quick to discount the leaders of the profession.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Emulate their professionalism. Emulate their communication (although not the BS they have to accept from coaches). Emulate their ability to move to a spot that gives them a better view. This is a mechanics issue, though. Whether they do it really has no bearing on whether we should.

I frankly don't care on this issue. I do it, but I really couldn't tell you if my partners have. I could just as easily drop it if an assigner or other official I trust advised me to let it go.

That's how my captain's meeting became one sentence long.
Old Sat Dec 03, 2016, 10:40am
Do not give a damn!!

To me this is on the level of what you and how you signal on a FT or if you blow the whistle or not on a throw in. Do what works for you and move on.

Peace
Old Sat Dec 03, 2016, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

I point

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Old Sat Dec 03, 2016, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
To me this is on the level of what you and how you signal on a FT or if you blow the whistle or not on a throw in. Do what works for you and move on.

Peace
The pointing issue is not addressed in the NFHS manual. On the other hand, the manual specifically says not to whistle before a throw-in except after a timeout, intermission, or unusual delay.

And yes, I know that not every state uses NFHS mechanics.
Old Sat Dec 03, 2016, 11:31am
Esteemed Forum Member

Free Throw Whistle ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
... the manual specifically says not to whistle before a throw-in except after a timeout, intermission, or unusual delay.
Connecticut officials were observed by IAABO interpreters during last season's State tournament finals. They were criticized for not sounding their whistles before administering free throws after timeouts.

Few, if any, officials here in my little corner of Connecticut do this (I can't speak for the rest of Connecticut), even though, by the book, we're supposed to do it. We do it for throwins after a timeout, intermission, or unusual delay, but not for free throws. Not sounding whistles before administering free throws after timeouts is just our local custom, handed down from our ancestors, from generation to generation, as basketball mechanics were discussed around the campfires of the past.

What the story regarding this mechanic for other Forum members?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Dec 04, 2016 at 01:31pm.
Old Sat Dec 03, 2016, 11:32am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
The pointing issue is not addressed in the NFHS manual. On the other hand, the manual specifically says not to whistle before a throw-in except after a timeout, intermission, or unusual delay.

And yes, I know that not every state uses NFHS mechanics.
They actually told us here to blow our whistle more. So yes there are little differences. And we have not been giving a NFHS Mechanics book in over 10 years. It is not a big deal in these minor situations.

Peace
Old Sat Dec 03, 2016, 05:47pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpjim View Post
Not a basketball official. Would this be the equivalent of a baseball umpire saying ball four, take your base, and pointing to 1B?
I believe the reason for strike signals and such given by umpires was to relay information about the call to those that can't hear them. It's not necessarily for the benefit of the players/batters.

Therefore, the point to first base is simply a way to let those that can't hear the ump say "ball four, take your base" to know it's a walk.

However, I'm not a historian on that, I just heard it somewhere.
Old Sat Dec 03, 2016, 06:29pm
Official Forum Member

Only time I ever pointed directions before the tip was for rec-league. Never did it for any level of HS/MS ball.
Old Sat Dec 03, 2016, 10:37pm
High Five Master

I've been having issues with teams going wrong way, which leads to a complete Hess situation if you don't see it immediately. My problem is assuming teams know which way to go, realizing sometimes they do not. I'm going to move to pointing direction with goal being getting game off on right foot.
Thanks for your thoughts on this fellers.
Old Sat Dec 03, 2016, 10:44pm
High Five Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
I will continue to happily emulate the actions of those who have risen to a level higher than I. With exceptions, of course (mechanics differences, decidedly bad actors, etc.), but in general this practice has served me well not only in basketball officiating but in other facets of life, too. Not sure why some on this forum are always so quick to discount the leaders of the profession.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not discounting them at all. I just said because a college ref does it (or doesn't) doesn't make it right (or wrong). That goes for any topic you could discuss. I know the guys on TV are the best and we should def try to be as good as they are, but they are not infallible. And I doubt they would claim to be.
Old Sun Dec 04, 2016, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDevilRef View Post
I've been having issues with teams going wrong way, which leads to a complete Hess situation if you don't see it immediately. My problem is assuming teams know which way to go, realizing sometimes they do not. I'm going to move to pointing direction with goal being getting game off on right foot.
What level are you having this problem?
Old Sun Dec 04, 2016, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
They actually told us here to blow our whistle more. So yes there are little differences. And we have not been giving a NFHS Mechanics book in over 10 years. It is not a big deal in these minor situations.

Peace
Which is exactly why I stated my awareness that not every state, including yours, uses NFHS mechanics, as you note often on this forum.

In SC, most of my partners would be perplexed if I started blowing the whistle before every throw-in I administered. Why? Because that's not the proper mechanic for my state, and the manual we use makes that clear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDevilRef View Post
The Hess situation happened because the crew didn't know the rule. If the crew correctly applies the rule, the situation isn't nearly as bad as it ended up being.
Old Sun Dec 04, 2016, 11:22am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Connecticut officials were observed by IAABO International during last season's State tournament finals. They were criticized for not sounding their whistles before administering free throws after timeouts.

Few, if any, officials here in my little corner of Connecticut do this (I can't speak for the rest of Connecticut), even though, by the book, we're supposed to do it. We do it for throwins after a timeout, intermission, or unusual delay, but not for free throws. It's just our local custom, handed down from our ancestors, from generation to generation, as basketball mechanics were discussed around the campfires of the past.

What the story regarding this mechanic for other Forum members?
I never blow my whistle when resuming on a free throw. I find that, well, weird.
Old Sun Dec 04, 2016, 11:22am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apg View Post
put me down as someone that doesn't point
+1
Old Sun Dec 04, 2016, 11:43am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

In SC, most of my partners would be perplexed if I started blowing the whistle before every throw-in I administered. Why? Because that's not the proper mechanic for my state, and the manual we use makes that clear.
What is the reference in the manual that says you point or do not point?

Peace