The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 04, 2016, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
What is the reference in the manual that says you point or do not point?

Peace
Nonexistent. Whereas the manual specifically addresses the whistle issue. That's the difference.
Old Sun Dec 04, 2016, 12:40pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
Nonexistent. Whereas the manual specifically addresses the whistle issue. That's the difference.
There are a lot of things we do as officials that never get into any manual. My point is that you cannot use the "manual" as a standard for what you do for everything or even most things. The CCA Manual is much more extensive and specific about many things you never see in the NF book, but I know I do many things the NF never talks about. This is just one of those things that are not mentioned or even covered on any level. The CCA Manual gives information about how to rotate, I do not recall I have ever seen such a thing in the NF book or a breakdown (I will go look to be sure). But that does not mean officials do not use a philosophy to rotate that might never be covered in the NF book.

Peace
Old Sun Dec 04, 2016, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
There are a lot of things we do as officials that never get into any manual. My point is that you cannot use the "manual" as a standard for what you do for everything or even most things. The CCA Manual is much more extensive and specific about many things you never see in the NF book, but I know I do many things the NF never talks about. This is just one of those things that are not mentioned or even covered on any level. The CCA Manual gives information about how to rotate, I do not recall I have ever seen such a thing in the NF book or a breakdown (I will go look to be sure). But that does not mean officials do not use a philosophy to rotate that might never be covered in the NF book.

Peace
Fair enough, and I acknowledge the "when in Rome" factor. However, I consider the whistle issue that you and I are debating more comparable to an official choosing not to visibly count in the backcourt and just using the clock.

It is required, under NFHS mechanics, that you visibly count 10 seconds in the backcourt. It is required, under NFHS mechanics, to not blow the whistle before a throw-in except following a time-out, intermission, or unusual delay. It is not required (or prohibited), under NFHS mechanics, to signal the direction for each team prior to the jump ball.
Old Sun Dec 04, 2016, 01:17pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
Fair enough, and I acknowledge the "when in Rome" factor. However, I consider the whistle issue that you and I are debating more comparable to an official choosing not to visibly count in the backcourt and just using the clock.

It is required, under NFHS mechanics, that you visibly count 10 seconds in the backcourt. It is required, under NFHS mechanics, to not blow the whistle before a throw-in except following a time-out, intermission, or unusual delay. It is not required (or prohibited), under NFHS mechanics, to signal the direction for each team prior to the jump ball.
I am not even talking about a specific area thing. I am talking about there are many things we do as officials that the book never mentions or does not mention until much later. I bet if I moved to your area I would do some of the same things I do now. That is why we have these sites in the first place to discuss many aspects of officiating that have nothing to do with what is obvious or always subscribed. And the perfect example is the recently added signal for "running the end line" when we were using that signal for my entire officiating career and now it was added last year. Just like the "kick" signal that we used for at least a decade of my career, only to add the signal the the chart.

I am not suggesting either that we should have add a procedure for this. I am just saying people will continue to do it or not do it for their own reasons.

Peace
Old Sun Dec 04, 2016, 03:04pm
Esteemed Forum Member

By The Book ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I never blow my whistle when resuming on a free throw. I find that, well, weird.
If I got a dollar for every time, over thirty-six years, that I observed an official here in my little corner of Connecticut sounding their whistle before administering free throws after timeouts, I would have enough cash to, maybe, buy a short cup of coffee at Starbucks.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Dec 04, 2016, 03:16pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPete View Post
We do it here in Virginia, just before the toss (and again if there is an overtime period). It just reinforces to the players (and us) which way each team is going. However, the officials manual does not say the we have to do it.
Must be an association thing, because I don't do it.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
Old Sun Dec 04, 2016, 03:17pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDevilRef View Post
Don't care what is done at college level. Not interested in doing college ball. If college only refs here what to answer what they do, I'd like to hear that answer but just because it is or isn't on TV doesn't make it right or wrong. I abhor multiple tweets of whistle for obvious calls but again, just bc a ref on tv does it, doesn't make it right
I work both and I don't do it in either.

Old Sun Dec 04, 2016, 03:24pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Connecticut officials were observed by IAABO interpreters during last season's State tournament finals. They were criticized for not sounding their whistles before administering free throws after timeouts.

Few, if any, officials here in my little corner of Connecticut do this (I can't speak for the rest of Connecticut), even though, by the book, we're supposed to do it. We do it for throwins after a timeout, intermission, or unusual delay, but not for free throws. Not sounding whistles before administering free throws after timeouts is just our local custom, handed down from our ancestors, from generation to generation, as basketball mechanics were discussed around the campfires of the past.

What the story regarding this mechanic for other Forum members?
I sound my whistle.

Old Sun Dec 04, 2016, 07:59pm
High Five Master

Not thought a bout the whistle after to and start with free throws but.....I believe I sound it as well. Been a long time since it happened I guess.
Old Mon Dec 05, 2016, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
I will continue to happily emulate the actions of those who have risen to a level higher than I. With exceptions, of course (mechanics differences, decidedly bad actors, etc.), but in general this practice has served me well not only in basketball officiating but in other facets of life, too. Not sure why some on this forum are always so quick to discount the leaders of the profession.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'll stick my two cents in. I'm not sure who you are addressing, but obviously it was directed to one or two of the comments above yours.

I can't speak for anybody, but I think the main point of one or more of the comments was that they were looking for what the right thing to do in high school is and they don't really care what happens in higher level basketball. They weren't discounting the leaders of the profession.

Someone also made the comment that they don't like the multiple whistles (aka "notice me" calls) on obvious calls they see on TV. I tend to agree with them. Some of the "leaders" of the profession are looking to grab as much attention as possible. I like the leaders that blend in and do a great job.

I'm not going to discount the leaders in the officiating profession and I am thankful for the information and guidance given by some on this board. On the flip side, just because you see it on TV doesn't necessarily mean it's the right or only way to do it.
Old Mon Dec 05, 2016, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Emulate their professionalism. Emulate their communication (although not the BS they have to accept from coaches). Emulate their ability to move to a spot that gives them a better view. This is a mechanics issue, though. Whether they do it really has no bearing on whether we should.

I frankly don't care on this issue. I do it, but I really couldn't tell you if my partners have. I could just as easily drop it if an assigner or other official I trust advised me to let it go.

That's how my captain's meeting became one sentence long.
Great post! Agree with you 100%. My captains meeting is short. They aren't listening anyway.

I point and I do it because I think the high school level players are getting dumber. I'm not sure they know which way they are going. Coming out of time outs, 9 out of 10 times, most teams don't even know who's ball it is.

I point to not have the teams start with a mess. If I was told to not do it, I would have no problem stopping.
Old Mon Dec 05, 2016, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

I let the players assume their positions, and as I'm walking to the center I check with partners to make sure they are good to go, check with table to make sure they are ready to go, say "here we go", blow the whistle, bounce once, and toss. Pointing seems hokey to me.
Old Mon Dec 05, 2016, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

What's the point in pointing?
Old Mon Dec 05, 2016, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IncorrectCall View Post
What's the point in pointing?
For me, it's to remind the teams which way they are going. Where I live, the kids here are clueless and they don't know or remember most of the time. Especially girls games.

Sounds like the kids in your areas are a little smarter and don't need the reminder.

Honestly, I could probably get away with not doing it, but I know I have had more than one occasion where the teams didn't know prior to me pointing.
Old Mon Dec 05, 2016, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

This years IAABO disc has a jump ball segement where Tom Lopes says the referee checks off with their partners and indicates direction of play.

But unlike the other plays he points out the officials mistakes, he passes no comment on it.

It's weird sitting a room with officials who are getting dinged and praised on the same videos though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk