The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Nov 26, 2016, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

Technical Foul?

After a time out Team A does not return to the court when the second warning horn sounds. After the officials attempt to bring Team A out of the huddle, the administering official sounds his whistle, places the ball on the floor and begins the throw in count. After a count of 2, Team B steps over the line and picks up the ball.
Same play but it is between the 1st and 2nd quarters? Or between 2nd and 3rd quarters?
Old Sat Nov 26, 2016, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

I've had this happen once, and regardless of what the rule is, you MUST prevent this from happening by telling the defender closest to you when you put the ball down, "do NOT touch the ball; it is not your ball and I will penalize you if you do..." (or whatever language you want to use).
Old Sat Nov 26, 2016, 02:42pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

A1 is not holding the ball, so double check the rule to make sure it's a T.

I'm going with a DOG warning for B, and they just bailed A out of a 5 second violation.

I am not, however, bending over backwards to prevent B from doing this.
Old Sat Nov 26, 2016, 03:36pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Let's Go To The Videotape ...

7.5.1 SITUATION B: Team A does not break the huddle after the second horn
for a 60-second time-out. The official puts the ball down at the designated spot
and begins the five-second count. The administering official is between four and
five on the count when Team B reaches over the boundary and grabs the ball.
RULING: Delay-of-game warning on Team B for reaching across the plane. No
Team A member ever possessed the ball for the throw-in; therefore, a technical
foul would not be assessed. (9-2 Penalty 3)
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Nov 26, 2016, 06:14pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks BillyMac. I did not look hard enough in the case book. I only looked at 9.2 and 10.4.
Old Sat Nov 26, 2016, 06:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
A1 is not holding the ball, so double check the rule to make sure it's a T.

I'm going with a DOG warning for B, and they just bailed A out of a 5 second violation.

I am not, however, bending over backwards to prevent B from doing this.
+1. It's not my job to coach the players or provide a lesson in rules. If they ask a question I will answer but that's about it.
Old Sat Nov 26, 2016, 07:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
+1. It's not my job to coach the players or provide a lesson in rules. If they ask a question i will answer but that's about it.
get off my lawn!
Old Sat Nov 26, 2016, 08:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
I've had this happen once, and regardless of what the rule is, you MUST prevent this from happening by telling the defender closest to you when you put the ball down, "do NOT touch the ball; it is not your ball and I will penalize you if you do..." (or whatever language you want to use).
This is absolutely wrong for an official to do. You are to be a neutral party in the contest. What you advocate is instructing and helping one side in a particular situation.
Old Sun Nov 27, 2016, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
This is absolutely wrong for an official to do. You are to be a neutral party in the contest. What you advocate is instructing and helping one side in a particular situation.
Im not so sure...Preventive officiating goes a long way. Do we tell players its a spot throw in? Do we tell players they can run in a throw in? Telling two big guys in the post to play straight up? Etc.....
Old Sun Nov 27, 2016, 12:17pm
Esteemed Forum Member

It's Not Your Ball ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin green View Post
I'm not so sure...Preventive officiating goes a long way. Do we tell players its a spot throw in? Do we tell players they can run in a throw in? Telling two big guys in the post to play straight up? Etc.....
Wrong team comes out to make a throwin after a timeout? Are we just going to hand them the ball? Wait? Isn't that similar to (but not exactly like) what happened in the original post? "Hey Blue 22, it's not your ball".
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Nov 27, 2016 at 01:16pm.
Old Sun Nov 27, 2016, 04:42pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin green View Post
Im not so sure...Preventive officiating goes a long way. Do we tell players its a spot throw in? Do we tell players they can run in a throw in? Telling two big guys in the post to play straight up? Etc.....
Exactly!!! No problem with telling them basics that will not lead to other issues.

Peace