The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 18, 2016, 02:45pm
This IS My Social Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronny mulkey View Post
I know this has been discussed on here before and it all came back to a NFHS interpretation that is posted on this website from the year 2008. It seems to indicate that they could play at the same time and the penalty would be for illegal uniform. At least, in NFHS.
1999-2000 NFHS Interpretation:
SITUATION 11: Ten minutes before the scheduled starting time of the game, the Referee checks the scorebook for Team B and finds starters checked included player’s identified by number as 2, 35, 00, 31 and 0.
RULING: A technical foul is assessed Team B for having 00 and 0 in the book. While 0 and 00 are legal numbers, a team may not have both 0 and 00 on the team roster. Either player No. 00 or player No. 0 will be required to change jersey numbers prior to being eligible for participation. (3-4-3, 10-1-2)

2008-2009 NFHS Interpretation:
SITUATION 2: A team has members with No. 0 and No. 00 listed in the scorebook and it is discovered (a) with 14 minutes on the clock prior to the game, (b) with 8 minutes on the clock prior to the game or (c) after the game starts. RULING: In (a), changes can be made without penalty. In (b), if a number is changed in the scorebook, a team technical is charged. The offended team is awarded two free throws and a throw-in at the division line to begin the game. The arrow is toward the offending team. If no changes are made to the scorebook, no infraction has occurred. In (c), after the game starts, there is no infraction if only one of the team members (No. 0 or No. 00) participates. If the second team member wishes to participate, the result is an illegal number when "discovered." The penalty is a direct technical foul on the head coach for an illegal uniform. Two free throws and a division line throw-in for the offended team and loss of coaching box privileges for the offending coach. The second team member (with the illegal uniform number) may participate without further penalty and is NOT required to change his/her number. Another possibility exists after the game starts when one of the team members wants to change his/her number prior to participating. The result is a team technical foul (no loss of coaching box) for changing the scorebook. COMMENT: No team should have both No. 0 and No. 00 on its regular roster. The infraction is likely due to bringing a player up or down a level. Therefore, it is possible the team has access to other legal uniforms to replace a uniform with an illegal number. (3-4-3d; 10-1-2; 10-5-4)
Old Fri Nov 18, 2016, 04:21pm
Official Forum Member

Personally, this rule seems unnecessarily silly. An official can signal 00 or he can signal 0. No difference. we allow 33 and 3, don't we.

(And yes ... I believe 05 and 5 should be legal for the very same reason)

If they really have an issue with this, make 0 or 00 (or both) not legal.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Nov 18, 2016, 05:23pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Easy Peasey Lemon Squeezy ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
... make 0 or 00 (or both) not legal.
Logical. Rational. Simple. Let's do it.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Nov 18, 2016, 10:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Personally, this rule seems unnecessarily silly. An official can signal 00 or he can signal 0. No difference. we allow 33 and 3, don't we.

If they really have an issue with this, make 0 or 00 (or both) not legal.
I've always had the same thought.

That said, most rules that seem silly evolve from some incident in the past that gave rise to their origin.* I'd be interested if there is such a history with this rule.

* Good example: Some NCAA D1 title game several years back started with a held ball before the AP procedure had been established. So the two players involved then jumped. Apparently people took issue with this, feeling that the two centers should be allowed to jump again. The very next year, the rule was changed to allow this. Had this not happened in a D1 tourney game, I doubt anyone would ever have given two poops about it.
Old Sat Nov 19, 2016, 12:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
I've always had the same thought.

That said, most rules that seem silly evolve from some incident in the past that gave rise to their origin.* I'd be interested if there is such a history with this rule.

* Good example: Some NCAA D1 title game several years back started with a held ball before the AP procedure had been established. So the two players involved then jumped. Apparently people took issue with this, feeling that the two centers should be allowed to jump again. The very next year, the rule was changed to allow this. Had this not happened in a D1 tourney game, I doubt anyone would ever have given two poops about it.
The history is that both numbers used to be allowed. Then, when they started going to "computerized" stats programs, the computers couldn't distinguish between the two, so only one was allowed.
Old Sun Nov 20, 2016, 05:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

The difference here is that 0 (or 5) has the same value as 00 (or 05), just with a meaningless zero added at the start. 3 does not have the same value as 33.

Because of the way computers work, there is no way for them to distinguish between 0 and 00, or 5 and 05, in some cases.

I'm of the firm belief that there should not be a T if there's a feasible case of computer error. I stress I'm not an official in any sport, but the last thing I want to see is a "technicality technical", if you know what I mean.
Old Mon Nov 21, 2016, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwburke94 View Post
Because of the way computers work, there is no way for them to distinguish between 0 and 00, or 5 and 05, in some cases.
Of course there are. May not be as easy, but . . .
Old Mon Nov 21, 2016, 12:10pm
Get away from me, Steve.

05 isn't a number. Never has been.
Old Mon Nov 21, 2016, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
05 isn't a number. Never has been.
Now I know why you proctored my math competency exams in 1993.
Old Mon Nov 21, 2016, 12:18pm
TODO: creative title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwburke94 View Post
The difference here is that 0 (or 5) has the same value as 00 (or 05), just with a meaningless zero added at the start. 3 does not have the same value as 33.

Computer programmer checking in:

05 and 5 (or 0 and 00) are equivalent only if the uniform number is stored as an Integer. If they're stored as a String, 05 and 5 are not identical.

About the only real reason you'd store uniform number as an Integer is to make sorting easier... sorting Integers in numerical order (as you would expect in a box score) is easier than sorting Strings in numerical order... with Strings, the default order will be something like this:
etc.
Old Mon Nov 21, 2016, 12:30pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Slick View Post
Now I know why you proctored my math competency exams in 1993.

Two math degrees later....and I'm a marketing executive.

But you have me curious now since I did do that as a work study job in 1993. Apparently we went to school together?
Old Mon Nov 21, 2016, 12:31pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post
Computer programmer checking in:

05 and 5 (or 0 and 00) are equivalent only if the uniform number is stored as an Integer. If they're stored as a String, 05 and 5 are not identical.

About the only real reason you'd store uniform number as an Integer is to make sorting easier... sorting Integers in numerical order (as you would expect in a box score) is easier than sorting Strings in numerical order... with Strings, the default order will be something like this:

etc.

And the sorting is why I assumed they store the digits as integers. Could be wrong. Always hated programming.
Old Mon Nov 21, 2016, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Two math degrees later....and I'm a marketing executive.

But you have me curious now since I did do that as a work study job in 1993. Apparently we went to school together?
Well, I sure didn't travel from that (way) bigger school that it north on 26 (I happen to be there now - actually using math from time to time!).

BTW, the new science center is very nice (but I think the math department is still in the other science center). The football field is now turf, and they are building a facility by the kiln for soccer, field hockey and tennis.
Old Tue Nov 29, 2016, 09:16pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up Good Timing

10+ years of officiating and I never came across this situation in a high school game...until tonight, just days after I read these interpretations. I was the R and addressed with Coach B. Of course, he said, "we've played 6 games and nobody has said anything." To which I replied, "someone isn't doing their job." He took it in stride and decided to not play #0 to avoid the T.

Thanks for the post, Freddy!