The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 09, 2016, 04:49pm
Official Forum Member

Preseason T predictions?

I was reading the archives, and in 2014, some people made predictions on number of T's they'd give out based on previous years. I was curious how many per year you usually give out? I do a lot of weekend tourneys and adult wreck league, so that ups my number a lot. Strictly JV/V games, I'd say I give out somewhere between 4-8 a year. I'm guessing I'll be in that range this year, hopefully less as the coaches get to know me in the leagues around here and figure out what I will/won't tolerate.
Old Wed Nov 09, 2016, 04:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIgiantslayers View Post
I was reading the archives, and in 2014, some people made predictions on number of T's they'd give out based on previous years. I was curious how many per year you usually give out? I do a lot of weekend tourneys and adult wreck league, so that ups my number a lot. Strictly JV/V games, I'd say I give out somewhere between 4-8 a year. I'm guessing I'll be in that range this year, hopefully less as the coaches get to know me in the leagues around here and figure out what I will/won't tolerate.
Giant what was your favorite last year in HS? I dont put up with much but typically they know that and I dont have to give many in HS. I love hearing yours.. spill it!
Old Wed Nov 09, 2016, 05:27pm
Official Forum Member

Had a coach whining about every call, so we got to know his voice real well-- it was a high screechy voice. We're at the other end (first half), and it's a small gym and he screams at the top of his lungs "CALL THE FOUL!!!!" I wasn't looking at him, but I knew it was him, turned and whacked him. Walked over to let my partners know what I had, and one goes "that's pretty ballsy with the no-look T, but he earned that one and I was on my way up with the T also." That was the first and last time I'll whack someone without having 100% visual support that it was him, because of the off chance that he has a brother or middle school child in the stands with the same voice. We had a good laugh about it while watching the film on the way to our next game, because my reaction time was impressive. Anyone else have a good one from last year?
Old Wed Nov 09, 2016, 05:47pm
Official Forum Member

I'm sure it's just me and because I'm old but something doesn't sit well with me talking about and predicting Ts etc on a forum. I'm not going to say it's wrong but I'm not a fan of it. To each his own...I do think talking about what conduct does and doesn't deserve a T is important and helpful.

Last edited by BigCat; Wed Nov 09, 2016 at 05:59pm.
Old Wed Nov 09, 2016, 06:33pm
Archaic Power Monger

As many as necessary.
Old Wed Nov 09, 2016, 08:11pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
As many as necessary.
I can go days, weeks, or months without giving one, and then give several in a game or a week. I don't count, average it out, or predict.

Whatever is earned, is what I award!
Old Wed Nov 09, 2016, 09:11pm
Courageous When Prudent

I don't remember and I don't predict

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
Old Wed Nov 09, 2016, 11:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I don't remember and I don't predict

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
I remember all the T's I've called the past couple seasons. Maybe it means I haven't called enough?

But I agree with you. TCOB when you have to.
Old Thu Nov 10, 2016, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

I hope that I don't have any!
Old Thu Nov 10, 2016, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

Most good Ts call themselves and help everyone. Helps a coach start coaching instead of distracting. Helps us focus on the game instead of when to give it. Helps the kids focus on playing rather then complaining. When you vets who are so good at where and when to call a T it helps everyone here who isnt posting focus on their line in the sand to help their judgement on when its good and when its bad. Every bad T you talk about here helps someone NOT call a bad T. Every good T you call here helps someone not experience 10x before just calling it and making it a better game. Thanks Giant for sharing. Whats wrong with the rest of you.. give some more examples!

I was at the Big Mtn Jam in SLC had a two local teams and one team was thin and talented and one was a bully and had trouble controlling their bodies.

The foul count is clearly different. Most of the calls was Red running into players. In the 2nd half a girl on say Red dives for a loose ball and takes out the legs of a white player from behind. The white player falls on the red player and hits her head and my partner calls the foul on Red. Red coach figures it out he goes nuts. He wants a foul on white for falling on his girl.

We pick up the pieces and move on and now Red is down 2 points white has the ball and here comes a tired girl and runs right into a white player and we have been in the bonus for some time. Coach jumps on the bench and goes banana's. He comes at me and I calming server him some T. When he realizes he has the T he turns away and yells ******* and he is gone. They had a chance to win the game but after 6 throws and the ball it was game over. Kills me how selfish coaches are when their kids can still win a game.

Helping newer guys who visit draw the lines in fact it has helped me for years reading everything you guys say and talk about.

Thanks for the comments and everything you do to help those who visit this awesome forum.

Last edited by BigT; Thu Nov 10, 2016 at 11:01am.
Old Thu Nov 10, 2016, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

For us around here it depends on the quality of the games.

The last couple of years the 2A schools on the girls side have all been pretty good, and boys have been down but all of them have been down. I find in those cases we don't see many. I often find when there is 1 or 2 very good teams in a league/conference and weaker teams you get more high emotion high conflict sort of games.

The example I will use is the 1A games in our area we have 2 girls teams and 1 boys team that is dramatically better than the rest of the league for a few years. None of the other programs seem to be building just happy to compete with each other and complain about having to play these programs. Meanwhile the top schools always feel like playing the weaker schools isn't a positive experience. These are the games that can get chippy, where emotions run high, where" how" the game is being officiated seems to be a much more emotional deal for someone. I tend to end up with more T situations in those games.

We don't have any 3A schools in our region but when they come for games I very rarely have problems as they know why they are there.

I'm not saying the level of school matters I've had great 1A games and 2A or 3A games that were gong shows. But if everyone in the game is at a competitive level even if that level is bad we don't see a lot of it, even in rivalry games. If you get matchups where both people resent being in the game, anything that happens either way that can be perceived as upsetting seems to tip the apple cart in those games.

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!
Old Thu Nov 10, 2016, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherdreams View Post
For us around here it depends on the quality of the games.

The last couple of years the 2A schools on the girls side have all been pretty good, and boys have been down but all of them have been down. I find in those cases we don't see many. I often find when there is 1 or 2 very good teams in a league/conference and weaker teams you get more high emotion high conflict sort of games.

The example I will use is the 1A games in our area we have 2 girls teams and 1 boys team that is dramatically better than the rest of the league for a few years. None of the other programs seem to be building just happy to compete with each other and complain about having to play these programs. Meanwhile the top schools always feel like playing the weaker schools isn't a positive experience. These are the games that can get chippy, where emotions run high, where" how" the game is being officiated seems to be a much more emotional deal for someone. I tend to end up with more T situations in those games.

We don't have any 3A schools in our region but when they come for games I very rarely have problems as they know why they are there.

I'm not saying the level of school matters I've had great 1A games and 2A or 3A games that were gong shows. But if everyone in the game is at a competitive level even if that level is bad we don't see a lot of it, even in rivalry games. If you get matchups where both people resent being in the game, anything that happens either way that can be perceived as upsetting seems to tip the apple cart in those games.
Do you have an example of a T you had to call in one of these chippy games?
Old Thu Nov 10, 2016, 01:54pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I never make predictions. I'm more opposed to goals, though, than predictions.

It would be glorious, I suppose, if everyone behaved themselves for an entire season, but setting goals or hopes means I'll be disappointed when I have to make the call.

I do, however, hope for zero travels this year.
Old Thu Nov 10, 2016, 01:58pm
TODO: creative title here

As few as possible... as many as necessary.
Old Thu Nov 10, 2016, 05:42pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Optimist ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I do, however, hope for zero travels this year.
Hope springs eternal. (Alexander Pope, An Essay on Man, 1732)
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)