The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 28, 2016, 05:28pm
Official Forum Member

DRJ1960

I could have given you a better response but 8:50 is late for me. This is what I know I would say to one of my friends and frankly, if i have something to say im not one to hold my tongue so id probably say something similar to anybody who asked me...

"I'm sure you've heard we are here to do a job, and we are here for kids and this isnt the right time or right place. I agree with that thinking...but kneeling is legal, we live in the greatest country on earth. Try kneeling in Saudi Arabia etc...you would be missing your head and your arm..and not in that order. If you want to kneel then kneel. What i would tell you though is i dont think your helping your cause. you are trying to call attention to a problem in this country. When i see you kneel, it makes me think of how great this country is. When you kneel out there tonight, there probably wont be many people thinking like I do.

But do you know what those people and I have in common? Neither of us are thinking about your issue. I'm thinking how great the country is when you want me to see a problem with it and others are thinking how ungrateful/disrespectful you are and wont hear a thing you have to say. You need people to hear you and be moved to action. There are many many reasonable people in this country who will not give you the time of day because your kneeling. If you want change you need people to listen, you need them to want to act on your issue. Kneeling just doesnt do it. If your goal is to piss alot of people off, well then that will do it. That wont bring about change. Go to a city council meeting, run for election...

If you want to kneel....I think its a mistake but..We are partners, I am walking in with you and im going to walk out with you.....
And your buying...

Last edited by BigCat; Fri Oct 28, 2016 at 05:43pm.
Old Sat Oct 29, 2016, 12:39am
Official Forum Member

I agree with what rsl said "If, as a referee, you need a forum for protest, find one outside the court." We must set the example, be professional, remain neutral.
Old Sat Oct 29, 2016, 07:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
"... we are here for kids.
Kinda long, but if/when I hear a partner say what's bolded I usually lol and if I have liquid in my mouth it get's spit out. No one else in that gym is there for the "kids" and neither am I.

This nonsense is so silly but well within anyone's legal rights. It's no organizations position to give either or options here. *IF* a school feels uncomfortable then pay the official off the game. If the fans can't act like humans and adults then it's more a crappy reflection on those individuals inability to refrain from projecting their personal beliefs upon others. There's plenty of crap that I think others do that is either (1) stupid or (2) more stupid, but it's their right to "do you" as long as its within the legal bounds.

All this patriotic this and patriotic that, is usually used for one group to use their freedom to be critical of another group using the same options and choices given anyone else.

On a side note, who cares about the officials (A. Everyone, that's why they are always critiquing us).
Old Sat Oct 29, 2016, 07:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclocrossgirl View Post
I agree with what rsl said "If, as a referee, you need a forum for protest, find one outside the court." We must set the example, be professional, remain neutral.
Remain neutral in regards to the contest, not political statements.
Old Sat Oct 29, 2016, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
DRJ1960

I could have given you a better response but 8:50 is late for me. This is what I know I would say to one of my friends and frankly, if i have something to say im not one to hold my tongue so id probably say something similar to anybody who asked me...

"I'm sure you've heard we are here to do a job, and we are here for kids and this isnt the right time or right place. I agree with that thinking...but kneeling is legal, we live in the greatest country on earth. Try kneeling in Saudi Arabia etc...you would be missing your head and your arm..and not in that order. If you want to kneel then kneel. What i would tell you though is i dont think your helping your cause. you are trying to call attention to a problem in this country. When i see you kneel, it makes me think of how great this country is. When you kneel out there tonight, there probably wont be many people thinking like I do.

But do you know what those people and I have in common? Neither of us are thinking about your issue. I'm thinking how great the country is when you want me to see a problem with it and others are thinking how ungrateful/disrespectful you are and wont hear a thing you have to say. You need people to hear you and be moved to action. There are many many reasonable people in this country who will not give you the time of day because your kneeling. If you want change you need people to listen, you need them to want to act on your issue. Kneeling just doesnt do it. If your goal is to piss alot of people off, well then that will do it. That wont bring about change. Go to a city council meeting, run for election...
That's a lot of words for "sit down and know your place, because your problems aren't relevant to the majority."

The whole problem is that dialogue isn't working. As MLK Jr. said, yes, the point is to have a dialogue...but that won't happen until the majority is made so uncomfortable that they have to.
Old Sat Oct 29, 2016, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
Kinda long, but if/when I hear a partner say what's bolded I usually lol and if I have liquid in my mouth it get's spit out. No one else in that gym is there for the "kids" and neither am I.

This nonsense is so silly but well within anyone's legal rights. It's no organizations position to give either or options here. *IF* a school feels uncomfortable then pay the official off the game. If the fans can't act like humans and adults then it's more a crappy reflection on those individuals inability to refrain from projecting their personal beliefs upon others. There's plenty of crap that I think others do that is either (1) stupid or (2) more stupid, but it's their right to "do you" as long as its within the legal bounds.

All this patriotic this and patriotic that, is usually used for one group to use their freedom to be critical of another group using the same options and choices given anyone else.

On a side note, who cares about the officials (A. Everyone, that's why they are always critiquing us).
Amen. I don't do this for the kids. That phrase is just political theater for the majority of people that say it as far as I'm concerned.

And, I'm in the camp of everyone else. What else are you supposed to do other than what you're paid to do? Officiate the game, and block the partner when you get home if you want to/are allowed.
Old Sat Oct 29, 2016, 12:01pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
A couple things need to be said here. We do not live in Saudi Arabia. I do not care what they do there. If I get to Saudi Arabia and I do a game, I will worry about that when I get there. But I doubt seriously that is ever going to happen in my lifetime. I doubt seriously they are playing many if any sports I officiate, so I will not be in that country for any reason. I live in this country and licensed to only work sports in my state or work college in the adjoining states. And I do not live in a state that has even needed to address this. So this argument about what country would do in an unrelated protest we are in rings hollow.

Quote:
I am sure that the person that would do this, whether they are a well known athlete (and it might be the athletes you officiate in that game BTW), fan or fellow official, they do not honestly care how disrespectful or ungrateful you or others might think it is. Well maybe they do, but they are trying to make you uncomfortable at the very least. Kind of the point of the situation is to make it clear they are not agreeing with the stance of showing respect for something you or others might value.

Oh, are you going to do something different if the players in your game do some kind of protest since you will show how unhappy you are with your partner that does this?

I have already had players in one of my football games put up a "fist" in the air which has become kind of common in recent weeks in the NFL. There were even several kids across the area that also took a knee as well.

Peace
Old Sat Oct 29, 2016, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
That's a lot of words for "sit down and know your place, because your problems aren't relevant to the majority."

The whole problem is that dialogue isn't working. As MLK Jr. said, yes, the point is to have a dialogue...but that won't happen until the majority is made so uncomfortable that they have to.
Matt,

My partners know me well enough that they wouldnt take it that way. My point is simply that I hear people talking about Colin Kaepernick and who else is or isnt going to kneel. I dont hear enough about the issues. The issue is powerful enough on its own. Some of those videos were very powerful and made people think/address it. The protest has taken the focus off the issues. I'd focus more on the videos and the actual issue. That's my view. If anybody wants to kneel that's their choice and their right. As I said earlier, I'll do my job.

Last edited by BigCat; Sat Oct 29, 2016 at 02:41pm.
Old Sat Oct 29, 2016, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Matt,

My partners know me well enough that they wouldnt take it that way. My point is simply that I hear people talking about Colin Kaepernick and who else is or isnt going to kneel. I dont hear enough about the issues. The issue is powerful enough on its own. Some of those videos were very powerful and made people think/address it. The protest has taken the focus off the issues. I'd focus more on the videos and the actual issue. That's my view. If anybody wants to kneel that's their choice and their right. As I said earlier, I'll do my job.
I think that was his point. Most of the people bitching about the "protesting" don't even comprehend the issue(s). They just want to, and most likely like to, bitch about everything they disagree with.
Old Sat Oct 29, 2016, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
I think that was his point. Most of the people bitching about the "protesting" don't even comprehend the issue(s). They just want to, and most likely like to, bitch about everything they disagree with.
I think he said dialogue wasnt working. I tend to agree with that. But in my opinion some of those videos were working. Right wrong or whatever, if you can get public opinion on your side your chances to create change are much better. I think some of the videos were and do sway public opinion. Keep those in the forefront, find others. Those make people uncomfortable. Stay on that. Now i hear who's kneeling and who isnt. I would say stay on message.
Old Sun Oct 30, 2016, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

Sometimes, movements start with isolated gestures, which may contribute to attaining broader, social change. Videos, kneeling, raised fists, refusing to sit in the back of the bus--they all may contribute to forcing a discussion.

"You know, if one person, just one person, does it, they may think he's really sick and they won't take him.

And if two people do it, in harmony, they may think they're both faggots and
they won't take either of them.

And if three people do it! Can you imagine three people walkin' in, singin' a bar of "Alice's Restaurant" and walkin' out? They may think it's an organization!

And can you imagine fifty people a day? I said FIFTY people a day . . . Walkin' in, singin' a bar of "Alice's Restaurant" and walkin' out? Friends, they may think it's a MOVEMENT, and that's what it is: THE ALICE'S RESTAURANT ANTI-MASSACREE MOVEMENT!"
Old Sun Oct 30, 2016, 01:46pm
Esteemed Forum Member

For The Young'uns ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRZ View Post
Can you imagine three people walkin' in, singin' a bar of "Alice's Restaurant" and walkin' out?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Oct 30, 2016, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballref3966 View Post
Have you been under a rock!?!

It's been in the news for over a week.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Oct 31, 2016, 09:01am
Courageous When Prudent

My top supervisor told us that the conference has no stance on the issue in regards to officials.

His personal preference is that we do not do it, not because he believes it right or wrong, but b/c he feels it will create a safety issue. He has also stated that if any official is contemplating any type of gesture, that official needs to inform his crew mates ahead of time.
Old Mon Oct 31, 2016, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
His personal preference is that we do not do it, not because he believes it right or wrong, but b/c he feels it will create a safety issue. He has also stated that if any official is contemplating any type of gesture, that official needs to inform his crew mates ahead of time.
This would be my primary concern, and I think that's what the SCHSL is most concerned about.