The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jun 11, 2016, 02:54pm
Official Forum Member

traveling/jump stop

Alright im sure this has come up in different forms multiple times but here goes

As im aware these three things are true
1.If a player gathers the ball with a foot on the floor then proceeds into a jump stop neither foot may pivot (think gather with foot on ground, jump, two feet land at the same time)
2.Doing 1, but with feet landing not in sync is a travel(gather with foot on ground, jump, left-right or right-left)
3.If a player gathers the ball in the air and then lands, either foot can be the pivot foot OR if one lands first that foot is the pivot foot

if what is above is correct, then how is this harden step back legal? he gathers with his right foot on the ground then lands on his left then puts his right down then shoots
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-90z...outu.be&t=117s
1:57 if the link time stamp fails
Old Sat Jun 11, 2016, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadams4 View Post
Alright im sure this has come up in different forms multiple times but here goes

As im aware these three things are true
1.If a player gathers the ball with a foot on the floor then proceeds into a jump stop neither foot may pivot (think gather with foot on ground, jump, two feet land at the same time)
2.Doing 1, but with feet landing not in sync is a travel(gather with foot on ground, jump, left-right or right-left)
3.If a player gathers the ball in the air and then lands, either foot can be the pivot foot OR if one lands first that foot is the pivot foot

if what is above is correct, then how is this harden step back legal? he gathers with his right foot on the ground then lands on his left then puts his right down then shoots
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-90z...outu.be&t=117s
1:57 if the link time stamp fails
NBA changed their travel rule couple years ago. I think they allow for an extra step.
Old Sat Jun 11, 2016, 06:58pm
Official Fiveum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
NBA changed their travel rule couple years ago. I think they allow for an extra 20 steps.
Fixed it for ya'.
Old Sat Jun 11, 2016, 08:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Refner View Post
Fixed it for ya'.
OMG this was amazing!
Old Sun Jun 12, 2016, 02:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
NBA changed their travel rule couple years ago. I think they allow for an extra step.
No change to the rule...just changed the wording. But you are correct in that there are jump stops under NBA rules which are legal that wouldn't be legal under NFHS/NCAA rules.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Mon Jun 13, 2016, 08:04am
Official Forum Member

Believe that others have addressed that the wording or phrasing of the NBA rule to determine travelling is not the same as any other rule set so most "travel" complaints come from that category.

Also depending on your assignor/assignment the idea of simultaneous can be more or less liberally applied. I've worked for guys who will argue that you can't ever have both feet hit at the same time, something has to hit first and I've worked for others who would say Harden or worse was close enough.

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!
Old Mon Jun 13, 2016, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

Just like any other jump stop, it can be difficult to identify when the dribble ended, especially on a quick stepback like this. If it was gathered while he is in the air the staggered landing is legal, if it was gathered while the right foot is clearly planted, then yes it is a travel. But its not getting called unless that gather is very pronounced while the weight is on the right foot. That's just my $.02
Old Mon Jun 13, 2016, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgame99 View Post
Just like any other jump stop, it can be difficult to identify when the dribble ended, especially on a quick stepback like this. If it was gathered while he is in the air the staggered landing is legal, if it was gathered while the right foot is clearly planted, then yes it is a travel. But its not getting called unless that gather is very pronounced while the weight is on the right foot. That's just my $.02
I know nothing about NBA rules. (Despite fact wife calls me "knowitall."). However, I don't use the term "gather" because I think folks think it means when the ball is caught with 2 hands etc. I judge travel/jump stop based on when the dribble ends. When one hand goes under ball dribble is over. I look to feet at that moment...
Old Tue Jun 14, 2016, 12:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
I know nothing about NBA rules. (Despite fact wife calls me "knowitall."). However, I don't use the term "gather" because I think folks think it means when the ball is caught with 2 hands etc. I judge travel/jump stop based on when the dribble ends. When one hand goes under ball dribble is over. I look to feet at that moment...
Agree. The dribble ends when the ball comes to rest in ONE or both hands. A ball resting in one hand is being held. Thus, the travel rules begin at that time.