The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 01, 2006, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

Jump Stop

After a player has come to a complete stop by using a jump stop, what kind of movement is allowed. It is my understanding that when the player picks up either foot, he/she has now established their pivot foot. After making an initial move with the non pivot foot, the player can elivate to take a shot but must complete the shot prior to the pivot foot landing again.

I have players trying to tell me that the actual act of landing a jump stop is considered the first step and any move after that is a travel.

Can I get clarification?
Old Thu Jun 01, 2006, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Pickert, welcome to the forum. What you can do after a jump stop depends on what you mean by the term "jump stop". There are a few different moves that are sometimes called a jump stop. These moves and what you can/can't do after them are discussed in the following link.

jump-stop explanation

Hope that helps.

(Good Lord, but I'm glad to have the search function back!!)
Old Thu Jun 01, 2006, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the link

Chuck,

Thanks for the welcome and the historical link, it was very helpful and enlightening. I can understand from the previous discussion that some of my concerns centered around a jump stop and the ability to continue to move to the basket and coming down on two feet after either catching a feed or getting a rebound.

Tom
Old Thu Jun 01, 2006, 05:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
No sweat, Tom. Essentially, if a player catches the ball while in the air and then lands on both feet, either foot may be the pivot foot.

If a player catches the ball while in the air, he may land on one foot, jump off that foot and then land on both feet at the same time. If he does this, however, neither foot may be the pivot foot.
Old Fri Jun 02, 2006, 09:29am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickert
After a player has come to a complete stop by using a jump stop, what kind of movement is allowed. It is my understanding that when the player picks up either foot, he/she has now established their pivot foot. After making an initial move with the non pivot foot, the player can elivate to take a shot but must complete the shot prior to the pivot foot landing again.

I have players trying to tell me that the actual act of landing a jump stop is considered the first step and any move after that is a travel.

Can I get clarification?
The key is to watch his feet and how he lands. If he lands on both feet, neither is a pivot (either can be) and if he lands on one than the other, the first one down is the pivot.