The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 15, 2000, 05:40pm
Official Forum Member

High school and lower level. I am seeing a lot of jump stop moves while going to the basket. I have tried to visiualize this and have yet to come up with a way that it is not a travel. If a player picks up his dribble steps with one foot , say right foot, steps with left foot and then lands with both feet touching at the same time. That must be a travel. Can anyone describe a jump stop that would be a legal move? Thanks.
Old Wed Nov 15, 2000, 05:51pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Baldwin
High school and lower level. I am seeing a lot of jump stop moves while going to the basket. I have tried to visiualize this and have yet to come up with a way that it is not a travel. If a player picks up his dribble steps with one foot , say right foot, steps with left foot and then lands with both feet touching at the same time. That must be a travel. Can anyone describe a jump stop that would be a legal move? Thanks.

Jerry,
Try this:

If a player picks up his dribble steps with one foot , say right foot, steps with left foot and then lands with both feet touching at approximately the same time.

mick

Old Wed Nov 15, 2000, 06:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mick

Jerry,
Try this:

If a player picks up his dribble steps with one foot , say right foot, steps with left foot and then lands with both feet touching at approximately the same time.

mick

How about:

If a player picks up his dribble steps with one foot , say right foot, steps with left foot and then lands with both feet touching at approximately the same time (or, as the rule book says, simultaneously).

Old Wed Nov 15, 2000, 07:09pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
Think of it this way. It is the exception to the rule that when the pivot foot returns to the ground after being picked up it is a travel. If the feet come down together it is not a travel. If they do not come down together it is traveling. The only thing a player can do when he makes a jumpstop is jump. Any pivoting is a travel.
Old Wed Nov 15, 2000, 08:21pm
In Memoriam

Thumbs up Oh, sure! Throw the rule book at me!

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
Originally posted by mick

Jerry,
Try this:

mick

How about:

If a player picks up his dribble steps with one foot , say right foot, steps with left foot and then lands with both feet touching at approximately the same time (or, as the rule book says, simultaneously).

Gees, Bob.
I was going by the REAL book, not the RULE book.
mick
Old Thu Nov 16, 2000, 08:18am
Official Forum Member

Smile Boy, this is a tough group!

To me, the hardest part about a jumpstop is determining when the player stopped dribbling and which foot was on the floor when he did. High school boys can be very quick. Hopefully, we can get far enough from the action to get a little bit of a panoramic view but some of these kids get to gyrating and you think they are still going to dribble but instead they palm the ball with one hand and by the time you realize they have done this you are no longer sure how many steps they have taken. I hate to admit it, but many times I make the call or no-call on instinct.