Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 09, 2016, 06:10pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Honor ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
... would never call foul on opponent. They were on their honor. If I fouled I would call it...no matter what.
Back when I was playing playground pick-up basketball, there were certainly a lot more "I got him" than "I got it". A lot more.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon May 09, 2016, 06:12pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr., Did You Miss Your Nap Today ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
... violation of the Principle of Vertically.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad View Post
Violation?
I think Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. meant violation with a small "v" (common dictionary definition), not Violation with a capital "V" (Rule 9).
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Mon May 09, 2016, 06:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diehardmason View Post
Question to OP: Was your weight being supported by his leg? I've played college ball as a PF/C and seen enough as an official. I don't understand the position and how it hindered the movement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is also in reply to Bigcat. The move the OP is talking about isn't going to work on any sort of decent player DII+. It's a ghetto tactic in mediocre street ball where tree trunks stick there leg between taller weaker players to gain leverage. It's an attempt to make you go AROUND their leg, and also so you can't back them down/spin/etc.

Given the OP said he's normally playing with much smaller people, I'm guessing it's not exactly competitive. Dumb park tricks are going to work if you don't have fundamentals.
Old Mon May 09, 2016, 07:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Back when I was playing playground pick-up basketball, there were certainly a lot more "I got him" than "I got it". A lot more.
This is weird. Totally different atmosphere I grew up in.
Old Mon May 09, 2016, 09:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This is weird. Totally different atmosphere I grew up in.
He means that he would say "I fouled someone as opposed to he fouled me. "

Again, if you are or ever were a player, you do NOT call a foul on the opponent. He calls it or you play through it. If he repeatedly hacks and doesn't call it on himself then u have to deal with it. I would knock him to the ground until he got the messsge.
Old Mon May 09, 2016, 09:09pm
The old new guy

Quote:
This is also in reply to Bigcat. The move the OP is talking about isn't going to work on any sort of decent player DII+. It's a ghetto tactic in mediocre street ball where tree trunks stick there leg between taller weaker players to gain leverage. It's an attempt to make you go AROUND their leg, and also so you can't back them down/spin/etc.

Given the OP said he's normally playing with much smaller people, I'm guessing it's not exactly competitive. Dumb park tricks are going to work if you don't have fundamentals.

Not saying you are wrong but I still don't get it. I'd actually like to see it to judge the situation.
Old Mon May 09, 2016, 10:42pm
Administrator

Quote:
Violation?

I changed the word to infraction.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue May 10, 2016, 05:28am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
And you are going to call what type of infraction for this? Certainly not a personal foul, since the way it is described makes it sound as though there hasn't been any contact. Sounds to me like a something similar to the team that sets moving screens all day, but the defensive players are too dumb to run into the screen, and instead get put at a huge disadvantage and try to go around the person setting the illegal screen. Since an illegal screen is a personal foul, not a violation, there isn't really anything against the rules until there is contact between the two players.
In NCAA-M's it would be a foul for invading the personal cylinder.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk
Old Tue May 10, 2016, 06:21am
Esteemed Forum Member

Pariah ...

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
He means that he would say "I fouled someone as opposed to he fouled me. " Again, if you are or ever were a player, you do NOT call a foul on the opponent. He calls it or you play through it. If he repeatedly hacks and doesn't call it on himself then u have to deal with it. I would knock him to the ground until he got the message.
Bingo. In my playground experience (asphalt courts, metal chain nets, first ten to make free throws play, winners stay on court), players that call a lot of fouls against opponents, or don't call fouls on themselves, usually go home with a lot of scrapped knees, and black and blues.

Old Wed May 11, 2016, 08:01am
Official Forum Member

This sounds like the old high-center trick, where you wedge your leg under the big man's butt so he loses his leverage and can't back you down. I used to teach this when I coached middle school. It is effective in holding your ground, especially when you are outsized. While technically illegal, so is an offensive guy muscling down a smaller guy when the smaller guy has position, so as long as the smaller guy is only using this to hold ground I'm guessing most here wouldn't call it. As soon as the little guy starts displacing the big guy, then yeah.

The OP sounds like a big guy whining because the little guy won't let him push him around. As long as he's not shoving you around big man, play ball.
Old Wed May 11, 2016, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Bingo. In my playground experience (asphalt courts, metal chain nets, first ten to make free throws play, winners stay on court), players that call a lot of fouls against opponents, or don't call fouls on themselves, usually go home with a lot of scrapped knees, and black and blues.
Memories. I'm still used to offense being the one calling the fouls. If you called stupid stuff you were inevitably about to get hurt. My philosophy was always if I can't finish through contact I don't deserve to be out there. And-ones get all the women once you get to competitive ball.
Old Wed May 11, 2016, 03:48pm
beware big brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
In NCAA-M's it would be a foul for invading the personal cylinder.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk
Invading the personal cylinder is not a foul until the invading person illegally contacts the opponent. It is not a foul to simply be within another player's cylinder.
Old Wed May 11, 2016, 05:45pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
Invading the personal cylinder is not a foul until the invading person illegally contacts the opponent. It is not a foul to simply be within another player's cylinder.
Well duh

Point being if there is contact based on this positioning, it will be illegal contact on the defender under NCAA-M's rules.
Old Sat May 14, 2016, 08:25am
Esteemed Forum Member

No Officials Required ...

Quote:
Memories.