The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun May 08, 2016, 10:51pm
Official Forum Member

Illegal box out

I am 6'5" and normally play with people much smaller than me. I was playing with someone about 6'1", but more built than I am and whenever I tried to box him out or post up, he would stick his leg in between mine. This wouldn't actively trip me, but it prevented me from moving at all, or else I would be tripped. I've never seen someone use these tactics before and called him out on it, but he claimed it was legal. Is he allowed to do this, since he's not actively tripping me, even though he's restricting movement?
Old Sun May 08, 2016, 11:10pm
AremRed

No.
Old Mon May 09, 2016, 01:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
No.
To summarize AremRed's response....

No.
Old Mon May 09, 2016, 07:05am
beware big brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
To summarize AremRed's response....

No.
And you are going to call what type of infraction for this? Certainly not a personal foul, since the way it is described makes it sound as though there hasn't been any contact. Sounds to me like a something similar to the team that sets moving screens all day, but the defensive players are too dumb to run into the screen, and instead get put at a huge disadvantage and try to go around the person setting the illegal screen. Since an illegal screen is a personal foul, not a violation, there isn't really anything against the rules until there is contact between the two players.
Old Mon May 09, 2016, 07:18am
Esteemed Forum Member

Post Play ...

2015-16 POINTS OF EMPHASIS

1. POST PLAY
New information has been added to the Rule Book that addresses cleaning up post play.
It is legal for offensive and defensive players to touch when both are maintaining a legally established position. Illegal contact on a post player is any tactic using hands or arms or just generally demonstrates rough physical movements that allows a player on offense or defense to control the movement of an opposing player.
It is a foul and should be ruled as such when:
a. An opponent is displaced from a legally established or obtained position;
b. An arm-bar is extended and displaces an opponent;
c. A locked and/or extended elbow displaces an opponent;
d. A leg or knee is used in the rear of an opponent to hold or displace;
e. Holding, hooking, slapping, pinning or pushing the leg or body of an opponent;

f. An offensive post player “backs-down” and displaces the defender once that defender has established a legal guarding position.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon May 09, 2016, 07:56am
Official Forum Member

In the 2015-2016 POEs, rebounding, too:

2. Rebounding
[snip] Some examples of illegal rebounding activity are:
C. Using the hips or knees to hinder or impede an opponent.... [emphasis added]

"Sticking his leg in between mine" so the OP couldn't move without tripping? Hard to imagine being unable to move without tripping, as the OP says, unless there's some contact, certainly enough for a foul.
Old Mon May 09, 2016, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
And you are going to call what type of infraction for this?
Block
Old Mon May 09, 2016, 11:06am
Stubborn Member

So the opponent is sticking his leg between the players legs without making contact?
Old Mon May 09, 2016, 11:38am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
So the opponent is sticking his leg between the players legs without making contact?

But once there is contact the guilty party is the one sticking his leg between the other player's legs: infraction of the Principle of Verticality.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio

Last edited by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.; Mon May 09, 2016 at 10:41pm. Reason: Changed the word "violation" to "infraction".
Old Mon May 09, 2016, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
But once there is contact the guilty party is the one sticking his leg between the other player's legs: violation of the Principle of Verticality.

MTD, Sr.
Violation?
Old Mon May 09, 2016, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
And you are going to call what type of infraction for this? Certainly not a personal foul, since the way it is described makes it sound as though there hasn't been any contact. Sounds to me like a something similar to the team that sets moving screens all day, but the defensive players are too dumb to run into the screen, and instead get put at a huge disadvantage and try to go around the person setting the illegal screen. Since an illegal screen is a personal foul, not a violation, there isn't really anything against the rules until there is contact between the two players.
Sounded like there was contact to me...and contact that was preventing the player from moving. If there had been no contact, I don't think the OP would have even noticed the action.
Old Mon May 09, 2016, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex baxter View Post
I am 6'5" and normally play with people much smaller than me. I was playing with someone about 6'1", but more built than I am and whenever I tried to box him out or post up, he would stick his leg in between mine. This wouldn't actively trip me, but it prevented me from moving at all, or else I would be tripped. I've never seen someone use these tactics before and called him out on it, but he claimed it was legal. Is he allowed to do this, since he's not actively tripping me, even though he's restricting movement?
I guess i need to see it to understand what you are talking about. He can put his leg between yours as long as he is not applying force-displacing you etc. if he is moving you out away from the basket or under it using that leg its a foul. just placing a leg between yours without any force really isn't a foul….If you had position first, he puts leg in, you move and he holds or you trip it is a foul.

Frankly, if he has one leg out front he can't guard you. Go to the block, post up, tell your team to throw you the damn ball high, catch it, pivot, shoot and score.

Finally, its pickup basketball. Sometimes you have to send a message.
Old Mon May 09, 2016, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
I guess i need to see it to understand what you are talking about. He can put his leg between yours as long as he is not applying force-displacing you etc. if he is moving you out away from the basket or under it using that leg its a foul. just placing a leg between yours without any force really isn't a foul….If you had position first, he puts leg in, you move and he holds or you trip it is a foul.

Frankly, if he has one leg out front he can't guard you. Go to the block, post up, tell your team to throw you the damn ball high, catch it, pivot, shoot and score.

Finally, its pickup basketball. Sometimes you have to send a message.
Yay, thug ball.

Also, he definitely can guard him. The whole point of illegally holding someone with your leg is to get a huge advantage. Wouldn't be much point to it otherwise.
Old Mon May 09, 2016, 03:04pm
The old new guy

Question to OP: Was your weight being supported by his leg? I've played college ball as a PF/C and seen enough as an official. I don't understand the position and how it hindered the movement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Mon May 09, 2016, 05:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad View Post
Yay, thug ball.

Also, he definitely can guard him. The whole point of illegally holding someone with your leg is to get a huge advantage. Wouldn't be much point to it otherwise.
If he shoves me away from the basket posting or under it rebounding it is a huge advantage. Otherwise, it hurts more than helps. My foot goes right next to his and he is beat. Frankly, I don't see how a leg holds me. If I'm 6'5 and u r 6'1 I assure u that you could not guard me on the block.

And as to your "thug ball" comment I will say that there are well understood pickup rules for players who can actually play. I haven't played in years but, when I did I would never call foul on opponent. They were on their honor. If I fouled I would call it...no matter what. If someone plays like BS then u have to deal with it. Usually only once.

And I get if a leg is pushing you. But holding...can't see that worth complaining about. Shocking for me to see u say it's a huge advantage. It just isn't.

Last edited by BigCat; Mon May 09, 2016 at 05:29pm.