The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 29, 2016, 08:04am
Official Forum Member

Could someone explain the new penalty/interp on boxing out/crossing ft line plane prior to ball hitting rim? Or is it in an earlier thread this season? Thanks.
NM...I went back and found a long thread on this last June. Curious, now that a season has passed, how much this play happened and what the outcomes/opinions were?

Last edited by letemplay; Tue Mar 29, 2016 at 08:16am.
Old Tue Mar 29, 2016, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by letemplay View Post
Could someone explain the new penalty/interp on boxing out/crossing ft line plane prior to ball hitting rim? Or is it in an earlier thread this season? Thanks.
NM...I went back and found a long thread on this last June. Curious, now that a season has passed, how much this play happened and what the outcomes/opinions were?
Went much as expected, at least around here. Most people just didn't call it unless they had to, and even then it wasn't always enforced correctly. I had a good one in the playoffs with the coach going ballistic because we re-shot for the violation and then shot a 1-and-1 for the foul. Coached argued with me for a couple minutes saying I could call one of them but not both.

Hopefully there's more consistency next(this) year.
Old Tue Mar 29, 2016, 01:17pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Didn't have a problem in a single game this season.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk
Old Tue Mar 29, 2016, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

Reason I asked, I saw a play towards end of season, maybe first round of playoffs, where on first shot of 1+1 defender clearly makes contact w shooter, enough so that shooter gives him a little shove back..shot is good, no refs did a thing other than looked like T may have said "hey cut that out", C just standing there looking on. 'Course now defender still pissed from shove from shooter (as well as an under the breath comment I'd wager) that he really nails him on next shot, which also goes in, but refs have to sort of separate the 2 players and after some discussion call a double T. Clearly seemed not to have been handled correctly, but I wasn't sure. Mainly I thought C could have stepped in immediately on first shot and taken charge from get go...prob wouldn't have had the other extracurricular knuckleheadedness
Old Tue Mar 29, 2016, 04:24pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Ask And It Will Be Given To You (Matthew 7:7) ...

Quote:
Could someone explain the new penalty/interp on boxing out/crossing ft line plane prior to ball hitting rim?
Players in marked lane spaces must not move into the lane until the ball is released by the free-throw shooter. The shooter, and the players behind the three point arc, must wait until the ball hits the rim, or the backboard, before entering the lane, or penetrating the three point arc. On release of the ball by the free thrower, the defender boxing out the free thrower shall not cross the free-throw line until the ball contacts the ring, or the backboard. In addition, the free throw shooter must cause the ball to enter the basket, or touch the ring, before the free throw ends. During a free throw, no opponent, including bench personnel, may disconcert the free thrower.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Mar 29, 2016, 06:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Didn't have a problem in a single game this season.

You didn't do many girls games, did you?

Neither did I, and I didn't see it much. I only called the double-whammy twice when it really needed to be called, once back in November and then I didn't see it again until an AAU game a few weeks back.

I admit there were several times I could have called a delayed violation on the box out guy sans foul....and like a chicken I passed on all of them. I wasn't about to be the only official in my association making that call. Clearly this rule needs a few more years to mature. It wouldn't hurt for it to be in the rule book, either!
Old Tue Mar 29, 2016, 07:25pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
You didn't do many girls games, did you?

Neither did I, and I didn't see it much. I only called the double-whammy twice when it really needed to be called, once back in November and then I didn't see it again until an AAU game a few weeks back.

I admit there were several times I could have called a delayed violation on the box out guy sans foul....and like a chicken I passed on all of them. I wasn't about to be the only official in my association making that call. Clearly this rule needs a few more years to mature. It wouldn't hurt for it to be in the rule book, either!
They just need to get rid of the restriction of the defender not be able to cross the free throw line. Let them cross, and it there is illegal contact, we will call the foul.
Old Tue Mar 29, 2016, 08:26pm
Stubborn Member

I found it hard to determine if the defender crossed the FT line before or after the ball hit the rim. I did call it a couple of times, but it was on obvious violations.
Old Wed Mar 30, 2016, 06:11am
Esteemed Forum Member

Give That Man A Cigar ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
It wouldn't hurt for it to be in the rule book, either!
Bingo. Why does the NFHS insist on creating points of emphasis that don't make it into the rulebook (see swinging elbow fouls)? Do they expect officials to carry on these points with oral traditions, as we sing songs about these points around campfires?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Mar 30, 2016 at 06:22am.
Old Wed Mar 30, 2016, 07:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
They just need to get rid of the restriction of the defender not be able to cross the free throw line. Let them cross, and it there is illegal contact, we will call the foul.
I think that gives the non-shooter an unfair advantage. I'd agree with most others who say it's tough to call and not many call it around here either, but I can see the reasoning behind the rule.
Old Wed Mar 30, 2016, 07:45am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIgiantslayers View Post
I think that gives the non-shooter an unfair advantage. I'd agree with most others who say it's tough to call and not many call it around here either, but I can see the reasoning behind the rule.
I don't see the advantage of crossing the free throw line. In fact it's rather stupid for the defender to cross the free throw line instead of placing himself in front of the shooter and making the shooter responsible for any contact. Anytime I see defenders knocking free throw shooters off the free-throw line I question the basketball IQ of their coach.

Old Wed Mar 30, 2016, 08:11am
Official Forum Member

Restricting one player's movement, and not another's gives the non-restricted one an advantage. You're welcome to debate that, but you're not likely to change my mind. I wasn't posting it for argument, just my thoughts on the rule.
Old Wed Mar 30, 2016, 08:45am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Restricting one player's movement, and not another's gives the non-restricted one an advantage. You're welcome to debate that, but you're not likely to change my mind. I wasn't posting it for argument, just my thoughts on the rule.
The free throw shooter's movements are already more restricted. I'm not concerned about the fairness or equity. As an official it is easier just to worry about the contact and not whether the defender put his foot across the line. The violation/foul combination is unnecessarily convoluted.

Last edited by Raymond; Wed Mar 30, 2016 at 09:23am.
Old Wed Mar 30, 2016, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The free throw shooter's movements are already more restricted. I'm not concerned about the fairness or equity.
So you think that the player defending a throw in should be allowed to cross the end line prior to the ball being released? I realize this is not a perfect comparison, but if you restrict one player to an area, the other players should not be allowed into that area until restricted player has the freedom to avoid the player entering that area. If the players are allowed to enter that area, then the free thrower should be allowed to leave the semi circle to avoid a player trying to box them out on a long rebound.
Old Wed Mar 30, 2016, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If the players are allowed to enter that area, then the free thrower should be allowed to leave the semi circle to avoid a player trying to box them out on a long rebound.
I underestimated the amount of damage the UNI loss could cause…

The FTer should be allowed to leave the semi-circle….That made me chuckle