The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 10, 2016, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

Sat down last night and mentally laid out the pros and cons...and pondered everything that has happened and the conversations over the last year. I even called two people I have known for years and who have been sounding boards/mentors in the past (one is on the evaluation committee). I got solid feedback from them and was given a few things to work on (I had already identified all but one based on watching some "tape" of a few games from last season). They also both expressed concern that I am not the only person feeling this way and that the association is at risk of losing many officials because of the overall inability/unwillingness to communicate clearly

I came to the decision (unless something changes in the next couple of weeks) that I will give it one more year...in a way. However, I am finished attempting to discuss this particular issue. I have made my desire and my efforts to improve as an official known. The cost of attending a couple of camps and renewing with the association is not large. If the scheduling next season starts down the path of the last two, I can always make myself unavailable in The Arbiter and any time.

The thing that started bothering me last night was that I was turning into my wife about this...made me want to slap myself and yell "Make a decision."
Old Thu Mar 10, 2016, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

He said he would fix it. Now you need to leave him alone. See what happens when the season comes. If you're not getting type of games you want then go see him. Don't email.
Old Thu Mar 10, 2016, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

Perhaps there are other personal motivations that you can find, to allow you to enjoy officiating, rather than only the goal of being highly ranked, and receiving assignments on bigger, more prestigious games.

In recent seasons, I have shifted my personal motivation even more to mentoring, and training, less experienced officials. Our assignors, at my request, have been very willing to give me a mix of higher profile games, and games with newer officials, so that I can mentor them, and work directly with them. It has been very rewarding, to me, and very helpful to those newer officials. And, it has given our assignors better information regarding the progress of our newer officials.

With time available, before your next season begins, be even more diligent in your preparation. Be in the best condition of your career. Study your mechanics, your presentation, and all aspects of your game. If at all possible, see yourself on video, and find a trusted friend who can view and critique your performance. Be super ready and able to continue to officiate. By doing so, the choice will be yours, rather than having it forced upon you.
Best wishes.

Last edited by Rob1968; Thu Mar 10, 2016 at 10:35am.
Old Thu Mar 10, 2016, 10:25am
Get away from me, Steve.

I think the lack of honesty from assigners is the real problem. They want you to hang on and work the scraps but won't be honest as to why you're not getting the games you want.

I only assign varsity games and I've had a conversation with a couple of officials about why I won't use them. Not all went well. But I think officials deserve some honesty and transparency.
Old Thu Mar 10, 2016, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I think the lack of honesty from assigners is the real problem. They want you to hang on and work the scraps but won't be honest as to why you're not getting the games you want.

I only assign varsity games and I've had a conversation with a couple of officials about why I won't use them. Not all went well. But I think officials deserve some honesty and transparency.
This!

I have never kidded myself in thinking I should be working the top games or even have my schedule full of match-ups that most people would look at and think were above average. I understand those games are going to go the best officials...and younger officials on the way up are going to be put in them before me, if for no other reason than to see if they are ready. But I also don't want all the games nobody else will take.

Heck, I am a big boy...if I need to be told that this last schedule is the best I can hope for at this stage in life, fine...tell me and I can move forward.

For years I told myself "This is the most important game of the night for everyone involved." But face it...that isn't always true. I had more than one game last season where it was obvious by the middle of the 2nd that one team simply did not care. I still gave my best effort because you never know who is watching but I could not help but think afterward "If they didn't want to be there, why should I want to be there?"

Maybe I am turning into a "Grumpy Old Official" (will turn 59 this summer) but just because every game at every level, regardless of the ability of the participants, deserves competent officials doesn't mean I have to be one of those officials.

Anyway...time to start listening to the "gurus" on TV and radio so I can fill out my bracket.
Old Thu Mar 10, 2016, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

There are 3 associations that serve the Dallas/Fort worth metro area, and I know that all of them are in desperate need of more officials. I had the good fortune of traveling 3.5 hours one way to a playoff game where my partner is the president of our association and I learned a lot about the behind-the-scenes activities. One of the topics was the glaring need for more officials in all of the associations. Often in the off-season, school districts will attempt to switch associations, but there is basically a "freeze" in place, agreed upon by the leadership of the 3 associations that they will all keep what they have, aside from the fallout from a recent restructuring of certain districts where an association will have to absorb a school or two, but that should all even itself out. The driver of that decision is because none of the associations has enough officials to take on any more schools. Adding to the problem are several new high schools and middle schools that will be opening next season that will be serviced by my association. The good news is that we are getting a raise in pay at all levels next season, so that should help with the acquisition of new officials and the retention of others who might otherwise quit or retire. All this to say, depending on your limitations to travel to games, there are other associations you could join who would likely greet you with open arms. That's not to say you'd get better games (you probably wouldn't), but at least you might find a better fit, given your frustrations. It's an option is all I'm saying.