View Single Post
Old Tue Mar 08, 2016, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
If you aren't pleased with the assignments you are receiving and are ready to quit, then you have nothing to lose by actually asking your assignor about your schedule. Let him know that you desire to work more competitive contests and ask him directly what he thinks of you as an official. Inquire what it would take for you to get the schedule that you desire. If you don't like the answers that you get, then walk away and find something else to do.

On the other hand, what if direct conversation addresses the situation to your liking? I'd say it's worth a shot.
Agree with what the others have posted. You don't have this conversation with the tone "I deserve a better schedule" you go with in the conversation "What do I need to do to reach (my goal)"

I had that conversation a few years ago with my old assignor and I prefaced it by saying before he even responded I'm not asking for a better schedule just what do I need to take the next step up. His response was basically I call a good game, in the right position, know the rules, but that I run funny (well 3 microfractures will do that to you). However, he also stated I don't get beat down the court though. He stated he would look to move me up the next season. Next season I had a steady but noticeable increase in my schedule. I wasn't asking for a consistent schedule of tournament like games, but I did see an increase in the type of games I was getting.

Maybe by calling him he'll realize that as an official you are striving to be better than what you're slotted at and are making strides to get there (camps, feedback etc...). He may recognize this and move you up. Of course as the assignor he may already have formed his opinion and you may not like what his response is. In that case there isn't much you can do, but continue to work hard and hopefully it will pay off in the future.